~Recipe Corner~

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
ScarletLady

Re: ~Recipe Corner~

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:16 am

Easy Peasy lentil soup

I made this up off the top of my head last night - it takes less time than a walk to the shop to buy a tin of soup...and it's so much nicer

2 onions
Vegetable oil
Red Lentils
1 pt Vegetable stock
Curry paste
Salt
Pepper
Paprika

Chop the onions and fry in oil. Add Salt, Pepper and Paprika until a nice red colour and cook the spices. Add a teaspoon of curry paste and cook for a further few minutes. Add a few of handfuls of lentils (you want the onions to be evenly coated and mixed with lentils so the amount can vary) and stir until the lentils are mixed in and covered in the spices. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until the lentils are cooked. Liquidise and serve

Yummy!!
Last edited by ScarletLady on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:59 am

tomato & Mozerella salad

punnet cherry tomatoes
6 sundried tomatoes
1 mozerella ball
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt
pepper

optional:
Spinach

put cherry tomatoes on foil covered baking tray, cover with oil, balsamic & salt/pepper. put in the oven for approx 30 minutes - until soft & "wilted", gas mark 5.
cut up mozerella & sundried tomatoes.
add the mozerella & sundried tomatoes to a bowl - adding the roasted cherry tomatoes once out of the oven. spoon generously onto plates!

this can last a few days in a bowl in the fridge - it doesn't last that long in our house though, it's gets eaten to fast!

(i tried adding blanched spinach to it yesterday, it's ok, but i prefer it without)

Enjoy!!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

delic1999

Post by delic1999 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:44 am

I made these tonight with cherry. I sugest cuting the strusle topping in 1/2 and more cinnamon. But it's tasty!

Pillsbury Grands!® Little Pies

INGREDIENTS:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3/4 cup Pillsbury BEST® all-purpose or unbleached flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter
1/2 cup Fisher® Chef's Naturals® Chopped Nuts, if desired
1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® Flaky Layers refrigerated biscuits
1 can (21 oz) apple, blueberry or cherry pie filling
1 to 1 1/2 cups whipping cream (optional)
Cinnamon-sugar (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In medium bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts.
2. Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Split each biscuit in half to make 16 rounds. With floured fingers, flatten each to form 4-inch round. Press each biscuit round in ungreased 2 3/4x1 1/4-inch muffin cup. Spoon 2 tablespoons pie filling into each biscuit-lined cup. Sprinkle each with about 2 tablespoons flour mixture. (Cups will be full.)
3. Bake 15 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; place on cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes.
4. In small bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Top each serving with whipped cream; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Store in refrigerator.

NUTRITION INFORMATION:

1 Serving: Calories 280 (Calories from Fat 130); Total Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 2g); Cholesterol 30mg; Sodium 320mg; Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 18g); Protein 3g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 4%; Iron 6% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills ©2009
Fisher and Chef’s Naturals are registered trademarks of John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc., Elgin, IL 60123-7820
®Land O’ Lakes is a registered trademark of Land O’ Lakes, Inc.
2009 © and ®/™ of General Mills

Suki_Stardust

Post by Suki_Stardust » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Epic Hot Chocolate and Ginger tea are two of my favourite drinks to relax with.
Hot chocolate explains it's self but this one is so epic and chocolatey I have it as a pudding instead sometimes. This makes 2 :)
Epic Hot chocolate
You need
Instant hot chocolate
2 cups of milk
chocolate desert syrup
8 marshmallows
(If you're feeling a bit naughty) an optional shot of Baileys.

Basically boil the kettle and mix a little hot water in with the hot chocolate powder so you don't get lumps in the hot chocolate.
Add a tsp or two of chocolate syrup to taste
Add milk and put in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes
Stir and add another little bit choccy syrup :)
add your shot of Baileys if you want it ;)
then put 4 marshmallows on top and swirl some chocolate syrup over the top
Enjoy :D
If you use a toothpick and some syrup you can put chocolate happy faces on the marshmallows as well which cheers me up when I'm too sore to get out and about :)

Ginger tea is a traditional Sudanese tea my friend Said taught me to make.
You need:
Fresh root ginger
Milk
Cold water
Sugar
tea bags (usually 1 per person)

First peel about an inch of root ginger and place it in a pan of cold water.
Chuck your teabags in and start to heat.
When the water has started to boil pour in some milk the ratio of water to milk is about 1 part water to 3 parts milk. Generally I use a cup to work it out one and a half cups of milk per person and half a cup of milk.
Let the milk, water and ginger simmer for roughly 5 minutes over a low heat. Keep an eye on it though - I take no responsibility for milk explosions!
You'll know the tea is ready when it almost boils over.
Pour into a cup and add some sugar (usually how much you'd have in normal tea does it)
This tea is good for stomach problems and sleep problems and I swear by it for soothing angry stomachs and relaxing frazzled brains so I thought I'd share the knowledge ;)
Random overload.... usually caused by me....

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:01 pm

Best Ever Easy Peasy Pizza Recipe

Naan bread
Tomato puree (or ketchup will do. Reggae Reggae sauce is amazing)
Toppings of your choice
Cheese

This is the easiest tastiest pizza I've ever eaten. Honestly, I'd take this over any other pizza.

Whack your sauce on the naan bread. Add whatever toppings you like (I like chorizo and chili peppers) and top with cheese. You can put the cheese under the toppings but then there's a chance the toppings will burn.

Cook for about ten minutes on gas 5/6 et voila!!
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

myhappymassacre

Post by myhappymassacre » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Weird Unhealthy White Chocolate and Marshmallow Puddings

I made these when I was having a dessert experiment day!

150g mini marshmallows
30g diced unsalted butter
Three tablespoons of boiling water

250g of white chocolate (you can do milk/dark choc too)
250ml of double cream

60g of chopped hazelnuts

1. Put the marshmallows, butter and boiling water in a pan over a medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until everything is melted and smooth. Pour this into a bowl and let it cool.

2. Place a bowl over a pan filled with boiling water (not touching the water though) and put the broken up chocolate in. Stir gently until melted, then remove from heat.

3. Once that's cooled down, pour into the cream.

4. Then, using an electric whisk (ideally an artisan mixer- I <3 my KitchenAid!) whisk until all thick and mousse like.

5. Then mix the marshmallow mix in. At this stage it can look really weird and separated and lumpy, but that's fine, don't worry.

6. Mix in the nuts. I said 60g, but if you love nuts, heck, put loads in! Pistachios go well too!

7. Separate into ramekins, and put in the fridge for about 30mins, until squidgy and set.

8. Optional: slice hulled and washed strawberries and dip into milk chocolate, then place on some greaseproof paper until set. Place on top of the puddings, and enjoy!

LisEnthusiasm

Post by LisEnthusiasm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:07 pm

soup i've been making recently-

about half a broccoli (just one of the small ones)
few spoonfulls of sweetcorn
a courgette, peeled and chopped
half a butternut squash, diced pretty small
a few peeled shallott onions

chop them all up, throw them in a saucepan, cover with water, sprinkle in 2 veggie stock cubes and spices to taste, cover and boil for 20 - 30 mins till its all easy to break if you jab it with a cooking spoon

then into the blender :)

serve with a few nice buttered rolls

yum!

makes loads so i tend to eat what i can, and take leftovers to work in a tub for lunch (saves my pennies for lunch too)

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:50 am

I am eating this right now and I can't taste the celery at all...which is great because I hate it but it's good for you so I wanted to add it :3

Celery And Sweet Potato Soup

1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
4 sticks of celery (I use the leaves too but you can remove if you want)
1 Vegetarian based chicken stock cube (or just vege stock)
4 cups of water (or more depends on if you like runny soup)
Bay Leaf
Thyme
Chives
1 onion, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
Garlic
Oil

Cut up your onion and celery while oil is heating in pot. Then once is hot, add the celery and onion and stir on a medium heat, after about 5 minutes add in a few pinches of salt.
Cook for a further 5 minutes then add in your potato and garlic.
Cook for about 2 minutes then add in your herbs (can add what herbs you want) and your stock cube + water.
Turn up the heat until it's boiling and bubbly (smells so good).
Lower heat and put on lid, leave for 40-50 minutes.
I then pulse mine in the blender so I can have it nice and smooth.

myhappymassacre

Post by myhappymassacre » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Adding to the soupy joy!

Carrot and Butter Bean Soup

1 Onion
1 large jacket potato, or four smallish, such as Maris Pipers
5 carrots
Two vegetable or chicken stock cubes
2 cans of butter beans

Chop up the onion, dice the potatoes, and halve then slice the carrots. Add the stock cubes to a litre of boiling water, in a jug. Stir well!

Heat up some olive oil in a large saucepan, then fry the onions for around five minutes until soft but not browned. Add the potatoes, carrots and stock and bring to the boil. Then, simmer for fifteen minutes. Add the drained and rinsed butter beans to the pan and cook for a further seven minutes, until soft. Then, blend until smooth and enjoy!

°«Belle»°

Post by °«Belle»° » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Honeycomb! (aka Cinder Toffee)

Ingredients:
5 Tablespoons of caster sugar
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
1 teaspoon of bicarb of soda (I'm not sure if baking powder has quite the same effect, you'd probably need to use twice as much. I'll edit if I work it out!)
also a little butter and greaseproof paper is very handy!

What the fook to do!:
Line a baking tin/deep tray with the greaseproof paper and grease with a bit of butter. Shove a saucepan on the hob and put the sugar and syrup in. Stir until melted and simmer for about 3-4 mins until it's nice and golden and sticky! Take the pan off of the heat and add the bicarbonate of soda. Mix it quickly with a wooden spoon. When it froths pour the mixture into your baking tin straight away. Careful, it'll be very hot! Now you can leave it to cool. Don't be tempted to poke it or you'll end up with rock solid stuff instead of nice chewy honeycomb (I know from experience). When it's cooled you can lift it out of the baking tray on the greaseproof paper and bash the hell out of it to make bitesize chunks. It's really tasty by itself or you can dip it in melted chocolate and add a few more calories! Because there's not enough in it already! :lol:

YommNomAway!
'Because I'm way more HARDCORE!'
Mummy to Kodi Michelle Autumn and Erin Rose

Futzzz

Post by Futzzz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:06 pm

yay for the soup addicts!

saw nigella making this and tried it yesterday - its so easy and so good, even my boyfriend really liked it!

Pea soup
or if serving for halloween call it slime soup as it's delicously green!

500g frozen peas
1½ L veg stock
1 spring onion or scallion, halfed
2 cubes of fresh mozzarella (about 250g), diced

boil the peas and onion in the stock for about 10min, remove the onion.
blend with the cheese and enjoy:)

becareful if seasoning as the stock i used were plenty salty!

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:06 pm

Lorny's Low Fat Makies Recipe

Basically, it is called a 'makey' cuz it is a cakey (cake to you normal folk), with a meringue-esqe topping. It is crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. They are very low fat! This recipe makes 6 muffins or 12 cupcakes. For those on WW, they are half a point each for the muffins. You can add all sorts of other bits to the recipe, like icing and stuff. I add cinnamon.

Ingredients:

4 egg whites
65g self raising flour
1tbs granulated sweetener

1. Sift the flour with the sweetener three times
2. Whisk the egg whites for a few minutes to soft peaks. Careful not to over whisk!
3. Add the flour in three parts to the egg whites, folding in gently, making sure it is all mixed as well as possible
4. Stick in the cases and plonk in the oven on 175 C, for about 20 minutes if making muffins, or until golden brown.

^_^
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

ContortedAngel

Post by ContortedAngel » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:36 pm

I just made some reallly yummy fudge today and thought I'd post it here =)
You need 240g of chocolate
30g Butter
210ml of sweetened condensed milk
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence.

Melt all this together in a bowl over boiling water as you would normally melt chocolate until smooth, then put in a container in the fridge.
I didn't want to make too much so halved the recipe, obv if you want more you double it again ^_^

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:58 pm

This makes an insane amount. I can not seem to make a small amount of this stuff to save my life, but thats ok it ALWAYS ends up shared amongst friends and neighbors to much joy. I have been meaning to write this out forever, be warn I have never measured a thing in my life when cooking so its somewhat vague.

Old fashioned taco salad.

Ingredients:

Hamburger (leaner is better in my opinion)
two packets taco seasoning
about two cups diced fresh tomatoes (I prefer roma)
1 large white or red onion (whichever kind you prefer or mix them)
2 cans kidney beans
2 cans black beans (if you dont like one of these just double up on the other)
1 small head white cabbage (I only use 1/4th to half of each cabbage head)
1 small head purple cabbage
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1-2 bags shredded mexican cheese (depending on how much you like cheese)
2 limes
2 large backs of Doritos
1 large bottle of Dorthy Lynch Salad dressing (Western can be used but you might need two bottles and its not as good)

Preparation-

Dice the onion(s) I add a handful to the meat with a couple pinches of the cilantro
Brown hamburger and drain (I like to rinse it in cool water aswell) Add one packet taco seasoning to meat, no water!
set aside to cool some

Drain and rinse all the beans throw into a very large bowl I actually half everything into two large punch size bowls)
Dice tomatoes add to bowl(s)
Chop cabbage into thin long strips and add to bowl(s)
Chop cilantro and add to bowl(s)
Add cooled hamburger
Dice onion and add raw onion to mix
Add cheese
Toss all of this well together until well blended.
Squeeze lime over all of this (If limes are not very juicy be sure to roll them well before cutting and you can microwave them for 10 seconds to get the juices going)
Gradually add other packet of taco seasoning tasting as you go to see how much of it you want to use. (I usually use atleast half sometimes all of it)
Crush one to one and a half bags of doritos till you have desired amount(keep the rest to crush and add to left overs)
Mix again
Add dressing and mix until everything is thinly coated.

Note: for those who (like me) do not normally like cabbage, cabbage when used raw tastes NOTHING like cooked cabbage. You should really give it a try. If you are really against cabbage you can use lettuce but it will get wilty alot quicker and does not add to the complexity of flavors like cabbage does. Also this dish can be eaten cold or re-heated, I prefer cold. When eating left overs, add a touch more dressing and doritos.

I have made this dish for everyone I know, and I know alot ton of picky eaters, I have never had anyone not want seconds, or third or fourths. It is a huge hit and great for picnics or bar-b-q's as it feeds a large crowd. For those who do not eat meat. Leave it out or replace it with some fakey ground beef, if you dont do dairy, leave it out, I have often forgotten to add the cheese and it is still awesome!

I hope you enjoy it and would love to hear if anyone makes it what they think.

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:41 pm

I feel that I have perfected my chilli recipe, so here it is:

1lb lean mince
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
200g red kidney beans
1 pint stock (I use vegetable but I think most people would prefer beef)
6 - 10 thin green chilis (depending on how hot you want it!)

1. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.

2. Chop the onion, garlic and green chilis. I leave the seeds in because I like it really hot but it's up to you.

3. Add the onion to the pan and cover for 5 minutes.

4. Add garlic and recover for 1-2 mins.

5. Add chili peppers and cover for another 2 mins.

6. Add mince and cook for 3-4 mins.

6. Add chopped tomatoes (and juice) and the tsp of ground cumin.

7. Add the stock and bring to the boil.

8. Reduce the heat and allow it to simmer. Keep an eye on it and stir once in a while until it is of the desired consistency. Usually about half an hour for me.

Serve with fluffy white rice and nachos!
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

sashyy

Post by sashyy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:27 am

Potatoes and Cheese Soup
Makes enough for 2 people, sorry about my measurements, just come to make it like that over the years!
5 medium sized potaoes peeled and diced,
1 onion diced,
1 carrot diced,
1 TBSP butter,
2 jugs of stock,
1 jug of grated cheese,

1. Fry the oinions in the the butter till they get nice and soggy, then add the potatoes, carrot and stock, cover and simmer for about 45 minuets or untill the poatoes are soft,
2. Seperate the liquid from the solids(potatoe, oinion,carrot), blend the solids untill super creamy,
3. Put it all back together in the pan and add the cheese slowly and stir contantly or it can go clumpy,
4. leave it to melt while stiring, make sure it doesnt get all clumped to the bottom!
And its ready!

Super easy bean curry!

Sevres 2 again,
You will need,
1 onion diced,
1 tin of mixed pulses or if you have them separate just check them all together,
2 tins of tinned tomatoes,
Curry powder, I use medium curry powder and put about 4 tsp in but just add till you like it !
Salt/pepper/mixed herbs for flavor,

1. Fry the onion,
2. add the tinned tomatoes, beans, curry powder and salt/pepper etc,
3. leave for about 20 minutes and its done!

Super super easy and sooo yummy!
I have it with homemade egg fried rice and its beautiful;lll!

Satanne666

Post by Satanne666 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:51 pm

I recently started uploading some videos on youtube, as I decided to make a reality of my blogging plans. I thought I'd post a link to my first cooking video here. I've seen some great recipes on here, and I will try some of them out.

It's some great Brie cheese filled burgers, that are easy and pretty fast to make.

Check it out, all you need and how to do it is in the video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I92M0LB9Nak

Hope you enjoy it :)
I used to be the Dreaded_One , but I lost my name and picked a new one ;)

http://makingthingsgirl.wordpress.com/

foximusprime

Post by foximusprime » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:21 pm

fresh basil would be awesome with this!
DreadstarMonstar wrote:tomato & Mozerella salad

punnet cherry tomatoes
6 sundried tomatoes
1 mozerella ball
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt
pepper

optional:
Spinach

put cherry tomatoes on foil covered baking tray, cover with oil, balsamic & salt/pepper. put in the oven for approx 30 minutes - until soft & "wilted", gas mark 5.
cut up mozerella & sundried tomatoes.
add the mozerella & sundried tomatoes to a bowl - adding the roasted cherry tomatoes once out of the oven. spoon generously onto plates!

this can last a few days in a bowl in the fridge - it doesn't last that long in our house though, it's gets eaten to fast!

(i tried adding blanched spinach to it yesterday, it's ok, but i prefer it without)

Enjoy!!
blah blah blah

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:08 pm

No Name

Take a box of zatarains red beans and rice, cook per instructions. Add a medium size bottles of v8 or off brand veggie juice. I like the v8 spicy. Add a pound or more of cooked meat or meat sub. I use browned hamburger or canned chicken. Add one can red kidney beans, one can black beans(both rinsed) and a can of whole kernal corn. One packet of taco seasoning. Simmer for thirty minutes. Top with sour cream and shredded cheese!

Its cheap and it feeds alot and has so much awesome flavor! You can adjust recipe per your liking as far as thickness. I like it as a soup and as a chili consistancy.

faticeira

Post by faticeira » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Rice Cakes with Feta Cheese

Not much of a recipe, but a great lunch/snack idea that you can change as you wish.

Put slices of feta cheese on the ricecakes and place in oven until cheese melts/starts to brown.

If you aren't sensitive to tomatos, then you can add those or puree before you bake.

I serve this with a big salad.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:45 am

Simple Victoria sponge:

I've made this a few times now and it always comes out great. Always remember with a sponge to have a light touch and keep it as aereated (sp?) as possible.

Sponge mix (note proportions of ingredients...easy to remember, equal parts of sugar, flour and fat and 1 egg for every 2 oz of each - you can adjust this way to make more or less if you like, ie you could make cup cakes or something)

6oz Soft Margerine (make sure suitable for baking)
6oz Caster Sugar
6oz Self Raising Flour
3 eggs (beaten)

Filling
Double cream
Jam (I find raspberry works best but use what you like)
icing sugar

1. Cream margerine and sugar until light and fluffy
2. Add egg a bit at a time and beat well after each addition, really beat the hell out of it. if the mixture starts to curdle or split (this can happen if the egg is not combined quick enough but it's very common so don't worry), then add a little flour and beat, this will bring it back together.
3. Fold in half the flour with a metal spoon, then fold in the other half. If there are lumps of flour (you can sift to stop this but I don't have a seive) then whisk again. Make sure you have a good balloon whisk to keep the air in the mixture.
4. Divide the mixture between 2 greased 8 inch (ish) cake tins and bake in a preheated oven (gas mark 4/160 c) for about half an hour but check after 20-25 minutes. The cakes should be risen, golden brown and springy to the touch. You can also stab with a sharp knife, if it comes out clean, the sponge is cooked.
5. Turn out onto a cooling rack to cool.
6. Whip double cream until stiff adding a little icing sugar to taste - don't make it too sweet.
7. Spread one of the cakse with jam and then cream and put the other on top. SPrinkle with icing sugar to serve!

You can also use this a base for proper icing/sugarcraft if you're that way inclined
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 pm

Incredibly Tasty Soft Choccie Chip & Coconut Biscuits!

I got the basics for this biscuit recipie from my mums old recipie book, which calls them 'Jumbles'
I amended the recipie to include coconut and choccie chips!
My boy adores these biscuits, so I have to make them every time to go to visit him lol

You will need....
8 oz self raising flour
1 beaten egg
5 oz caster suger
5 oz butter (I always recommend Stork!)
2 oz dessicated coconut
1 oz ground almonds
vanilla essence
a handful or so of milk, dark or white choccie chips, or all three if you feel particularly naughty

Preheat your oven to Gas Mark 6/200 C, and lightly grease a baking tray or two

1) Cream the butter using a wooden spoon, until light and creamy, make sure its not oily
2) Add the sugar and mix in well to create a light and fluffy buttercream
5) Beat in the egg
6) Sift in the flour and add the coconut, almonds, choccie chips and a spot of vanilla essence. Mix together well
7) Keep mixing! It will get harder but keep going until you have a ball of dough (just keep thinking it will work wonders on your arm muscles!)
8) Sprinkle a little flour on your work surface and shape your biscuits! I usually do this by hand and make little round shapes, buy you could roll it out and use cookie cutters if you like :)
9) Pop them on your baking tray, make sure you space them out a bit as they will expand slightly. Bake them in the centre of the oven for about 15 mins or so.
10) Leave to cool on a wire rack, then.... enjoy! I recommend eating them while still warm :D

I normally get about 20 or so biscuits from this recipie, but depending on how big or small you make them, you can get more or less. You can also mould them into any shape you like, make them without choccie chips or without coconut (just add an extra 2oz of flour to substitute) if you like :)

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:06 am

Chicken Adobo

This is my favorite dinner! I tried it with boneless skinless chicken and it wasn't as good as the dark meat from the whole chicken. All legs and thighs was really good and cost efficient.

Ingredients:
1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces and skinned
1 medium onion (any color, I like red onions)
1/2 cup soy sauce (lite works best)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 bulb garlic, peeled and crushed (I always have to leave this out)
2 bay leaves
1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns (or pepper to taste)
enough oil to saute
cooked jasmine or basmatti rice

Saute onion and garlic in a large pot or wok. Add water, soy sauce, vinegar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add cleaned chicken and bay leaves. Lower heat to simmer and cook on low heat for 1-3 hours. Serve over rice. (The chicken is not deboned, so be aware of bone pieces)
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

WalksWithStrangers

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:07 pm

This is for a lovely, warming butternut squash soup recipe, very filling and nourishing! Nice and easy too.

Serves about 8!

You will need:
1 medium/large butternut squash
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 medium onions, diced
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 large carrot, chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
750ml stock (vegetable or chicken, doesnt matter)
Your favourite herbs! (I either use a sage/basil/oregano mix or for a more curried warming flavour some cumin and ground coriander, with a bit of curry powder)
A pinch of chilli powder and salt and pepper to taste
Some olive oil, and a bay leaf

Start by slicing your butternut squash down the middle, remove the seeds and score it deeply both across and lengthwise.
Mix together some olive oil, the herbs or spices of your choice, and 2 of the minced cloves of garlic and drizzle liberally over the squash - try and make sure to really get it into the slices you made.
Bake your squash halves at gas mark 6 (sorry i only have a gas oven and i dont know any other conversion) for 40 minutes.
When ready, remove from oven, cut into slices and remove the skin, then cube it.
Prepare your other stock ingredients and slowly heat oil in a large soup pot until it's hot but not spitting, gently brown your onions and the other 2 cloves of garlic, then add the potatoes, celery, carrot and cubed squash and cover with your stock and add your bayleaf.
Bring to the boil, then cover and leave until your vegetables are tender - about 40 minutes, remove your bayleaf.
Blend it to a smooth consistency, and add about half a flat teaspoons worth of hot chilli powder and stir in salt and pepper to your liking.

Enjoy with some crusty rolls!
Texas Chainsaw Teletubby: Po!

Thorne

Post by Thorne » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:32 pm

Parmos

This one is a Teeside recipe. It's absolutely perfect for when you're in the mood for something unhealthy and it's so easy to make. The way I'm telling you is the lazy way, it will obviously be better with self breadcrumbed chicken and homemade white sauce.

You will need:

One large breaded chicken fillet (per person)
One pot of white sauce or powder mix and milk
One block of parmesan cheese.

I tend to grill the chicken as a preference but the OH (who introduced me to this) assures me it tastes better fried. Grill the chicken for 30-45 minutes, turning over occaisionally for an even finish.

Whilst the chicken is cooking get out your block of parmesan and grate away. How much you grate is dependant upon how cheesy you can take it.

Five minutes before the chicken is done make up your white sauce.

Take out the chicken and carefully pour the white sauce ontop of the chicken then top with the cheese. Return to the grill until the cheese has melted (or until the cheese has started baking and turned that lovely slightly orange colour).

Serve with whatever side you want and enjoy.

Bacon wrapped garlic chicken with white sauce

You will need:

One chicken breast (per person)
Boursin cheese
Streaky bacon or parma ham
White sauce
Cocktail sticks

Take the bacon and, using a wooden spoon handle or similar, stretch it out. Heat up a frying pan with any oil of your choosing. Partially fry your bacon then lay to one side.

Using a knife spread the boursin cheese ontop of the chicken (some prefer to slice open the chicken and stuff with the cheese).

Wrap the chicken with bacon and secure with cocktail sticks if needed.

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6.

Whilst the oven is warming up make up your white sauce. Place your chicken in an oven-proof dish (I prefer a ceramic dish) and cover with white sauce. Oven bake for about an hour but this can vary.

Check chicken is thoroughly cooked and serve. We prefer with boiled baby potatoes and green beans. Yummy!
I'm not a role model, I'm a fashion icon.

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”