~Recipe Corner~

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
ScarletLady

~Recipe Corner~

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:07 am

think there was a topic like this on the old board. there are a few recipes in the Vegan thread but thought it would be good for vegans and carnivores alike to put down some scrummy things
thought it would be good for people to share recipes and maybe leave feedback if you actually try any of them :D

i'll start with a veggie cornish pastie recipe - guaranteed to fool your meat eating friends :D it's a recipe i made up so be flexible with the amounts - i tend to go by eye but they should be ok.

2 big onions, diced
2 cloves garlic
2 carrots, diced
handful of frozen peas
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 pack dried soya mince (not sure of weight - sainsburys or tesco's own bags)
1 pot veggie gravy granules (you can make your own gravy but this is a quick easy recipe)
LOADS of black pepper (or to taste :D )
salt
paprika
vegetable bouillon powder
oil for frying

pack of frozen puff pastry blocks

1 egg, beaten

1.take puff pastry block out of freezer and leave to defrost.
2.steam potatoes, carrots and peas until soft. set aside.
3.fry onions and garlic in oil. add salt pepper and paprika and cook until onions translucent. add other vegetables and cook until coated in spices.
4.prepare soya mince as per packet instructions (normally place in bowl cover with plenty of boiling water, leave for 2 mins and drain)
5.add drained soya mince and gravy granules to vegetables.
6.slowly add boiling water and mix until you have the consistency of pasty filling.
7.add vegetable bouillon to taste (normally about 3 spoons). add anymore salt or pepper to taste.
8.leave filling to cool (important - the pasties are near impossible to make otherwise)
9.roll out puff pastry block and cut into equal pieces (i normally cut a block into 8ths and make 8 pastys but you can make any size you want). place filling on pastry and fold over to make the pasty.
10.place pastys on baking tray and brush with beaten egg. prick a small hole in the top of the pasties to let steam escape
11.cook as per puff pastry instructions (normally about 20 mins at 200/220 degrees) until pastry is risen and golden brown
12. munch to your hearts content!! they really do fool meat eaters. plus i always end up making too much filling but any that's left freezes brilliantly and you can use it to make more pasties or stick some mash on top and make veggie shepherds pie :D
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

iamtheparty

Re: ~Recipe Corner~

Post by iamtheparty » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Best Ever Tomato Soup

6 tomatoes
1 red pepper (although sometimes I use 2)
1 red onion
Olive Oil
Basil (fresh pref.)
Vegetable stock

Chop tomatoes and pepper into pretty much equal chunks
Chop onion roughly
Put into a roasting tray
Tear basil leaves and scatter over
Add a good splash of olive oil and toss together
Roast for 20 mins
Make up veg stock (1 cube of stock with 1/2- 1 full pint of water, depends how thick you like your soup)
Pour into roasting tray (make sure it's a deep tray!)
Roast for a further 15-20 minutes.

Take out of oven and blend!! Presto, tasty roast tomato soup :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome Easy Peasy Vegetable Soup

2 potatoes
1 onion
1 carrot
1 parsnip
A few broad beans (to taste really)
Handful of lentils
Vegetable stock
Tomato puree

Cube/chop vegetables
Add to pan of boiling water
Crumble stock cube over the top and stir in well
Add 1teaspoon of tomato puree, stir well.
Add lentils
Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until veg is soft enough to eat
Done! Blend if you like it smooth. I'm a fan of chunky :D

You can basically add what you like to that one. Sometimes I put in baby corn or turnip.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fantastic Pasta Bake

2 tomatoes
1 onion
1 red pepper
Pasta Sauce (shop bought or homemade)
2 cups Pasta (I like wholewheat fusili)

Chop tomatoes, onion and pepper.
Add pasta to boiling water and simmer.
Fry veg in a wok/frying pan with just a teeny bit of oil.
When pasta is almost cooked put it into a colander and run cold water over it until it's cool.
Add pasta to heatproof dish and mix in the sauce.
Add the fried veg and mix until it's all covered in sauce
Bake in the oven on gas 5 for about 25-30 mins or until hot through.
Eat! Add parmesan if you like :D

I sometimes chop up some meatballs and fry them up with the veg if I fancy some meat :)
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

NozomiStar

Post by NozomiStar » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:00 pm

those soups sound yummy will deffinetly be trying them out. how many does that recipe serve?

Tomato pasta sauce normally serves 3

2 cans of chopped toms (with or without onions or herbs)
2 tablespoons of tom purée
1 large onion chopped
1 large can of sweetcorn (drained)
Basil leaves (fresh or dried)
2 tablespoons of dried oregano
generous pinch of salt and pepper

chuck canned toms into a large deep frying pan and simmer slowly
chop onions to your preferred size and add to the toms
simmer these together for 5 mins
when juice is slightly reduced add tom puree, sweetcorn and dried herbs. (if using fresh basil do not add at this stage)
Stir occasionally and season to taste.
When sauce is at desired thickness add meat, pasta or veg. (if using fresh basil add this now)

I use this for tuna pasta bake (add drained tuna when adding corn). I combine sauce and pasta in the sauce pan used to boil pasta (drained obviously) then put into individual oven bowls and bake with cheese for 15mins til the top is golden and crispy.
It also works well as a spag bol base or chilli base just replace the sweetcorn with kidney beans.
Nomzomi queen of the Noms

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:31 am

I just posted this over in the cake recipe thread.. it's about the only 'recipe' I have, as I usually just chuck random things into a pan and turn on the heat!

Wheat-free low-fat lemon & almond cake

3 lemons, boiled for an hour.. remove pips, then blend into a pulp. This is used instead of butter.
Mix the lemon pulp with ~200g almond flour (instead of wheat flour) 2 large eggs, 150g-200g brown sugar (depending on how sweet you like it) and 2 teaspoons of baking powder.

Mix it all up and bung it in the oven for a while until it looks almost black on top (it's not burned, it just goes very dark) I don't bother much with timing things, I just stick a knife into the middle and if it comes out hot and non-sticky, it's done.

Voila :) simple, easy, quick.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:40 am

best ever easy baked omelettes...

dash of oil
3 eggs beaten
milk (beaten in with egg)
cheese
1/2 onion finely chopped
7 cherry tomatoes roughly chopped
2 small new potatoes
fresh basil
black pepper
worcestershire sauce

cook new potatoes until soft. slice finely like crisps. put dash of oil into a 8" cake tin or similar. put in hot oven (200/220c). leave in the oven while you chop the onions, tomatoes potatoes and basil. open oven and add vegetables to the tin. pour over the egg and milk mix. grate the cheese on top and add basil and loads of black pepper and worcestershire sauce. cook in the oven for 15-20 mins and voila. these are also great if left to go cold. plus you can experiment with adding other vegetables such as peppers. prawns are also nice to add if you like them if frozen defrost them first or you'll end up with watery omoelettes.

* Queen of Tangents*

fustmuffin

Post by fustmuffin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Minestrone soup!!
This is actually a slimming world recipe. So, for those of you following SW, this soup is free on a green day providing you use vecon for your stock!

Ingredients:
fry light
1 onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
2 carrots, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 can of chopped tomatoes
2pints of vegetable stock
57g of spaghetti, broken into short bits
113g frozen peas
170g green cabbage, chopped
1 leek, chopped
1tsp dried basil
salt and freshly ground pepper

Spray a pan with fry light and cook the onion for about 5 mins until soft. Add the garlic, carrots and celery and continue cooking for 2-3 mins

Add the tomatoes, stock and spaghetti and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins

stir in the peas, cabbage, leek and basil and simmer for another 20 mins, add a little water if you need to. season to taste!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:40 pm

OK!!
chicken soup from a lifelong veggie...get prepared for wierdness (dan says it's the best chicken soup he's ever had *BIGHEAD* )

you will need (you can be flexible with amounts - i don't stick to one recipe it's awlays a bit different):

1 chicken carcass, prefereably with some meat left on (leftover from sunday lunch or something like that)
Water
Vegetable stock (i suppose you could use chicken stock but i only ever have vegetable in the cupboard)
Onions
Carrots
Parsnips
Garlic
Potatoes
any other random veg you need to use up.
fresh thyme, salt and pepper
Cream

1. Put chicken carcass in a big pan and cover with water so it's about an inch or two above the chicken.
2. Roughly chop vegetables and add to the water.
3. Bring to the boil adding thyme, stock, salt and pepper
4. Cover and simmer for a couple of hours, remove from heat and leave to stand over night.
5. In the morning, strain the mixture and set aside the stock.
6. Unpleasant task but pick the meat off the bones and pick out the big vegetable chunks.
7. Add this to the stock and reheat, season to taste.
8. Add cream an bring to boil then immediately turn heat down and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
9. Serve
10. This soup can be frozen but not with cream added - i tend to freeze it in bowl size potrions and then add the cream as i cook each bowl.

Hope that recipe works for you - i tend to make it up as i go along :D

* Queen of Tangents*

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:16 pm

Ok, apart from music and hair, my other not so secret talent is cooking. So I'm gonna pinch all my recipes that I posted in another board's recipe thread and post em here!

So here's my huge RECIPE DUMP!

Lara's kick ass Asian style chicken & corn soup, just like you find in restaurants!

Serves 4-6 (depending if it's a meal or entree).

2 tbs oil
500g mince chicken (thigh is better than breast as it doesn't get as dry)
2 cans of creamed corn
3 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of water
2 tsp soy sauce (or four of those little soy sauces you get from sushi bars, in our case)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 egg white
salt
pepper

Heat oil in a large saucepan or pot, add chicken and cook thoroughly.
Add chicken stock, cook for 1 minute.
Add creamed corn and rinse the inside of the cans with water, pour into the pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add soy sauce, sesame oil, pinch of salt and cracked pepper to taste.
Separate egg white, beat slightly and slowly add into the soup while stirring. This ensures it doesn't end up in a clump as it cooks quickly.
Cook for 2 minutes and serve!

And of course, my awesome guacamole!

You will need:

1 Avocado
1 Tbs Sour Cream
1 Tbs Salsa or 1 tsp peri peri or tobasco sauce (or any sort of chilli sauce)
1 Tbs Lemon Juice (can be adjusted to taste)

Method:

- Mash up avocado with fork.
- Add sour cream and salsa, mix well.
- Gradually add lemon juice, mix, taste, add more if desired.
- Serve with corn chips, on nachos, with crackers etc

Alessandro's Guacamole Pasta ala Lara... Which I didn't like. (Experiment from Alessandro Cortini's NIN chat recipe dump)

1 or 2 Avocados (depending on how big)
1 clove of garlic, crushed!
Pinch of salt and pepper
Pinch of chilli flakes
Half a tub of fat free or low fat cottage cheese (ick)
Pasta of choice.

Method.

Mash avocado with fork, add crushed garlic, salt, pepper and chilli flakes, mix, add cottage cheese, mix.
Put pasta in a frying pan on medium heat, we used penne, which I don't like, place guac/avocado sauce in, mix until evenly distributed among pasta.
Serve.

Lara's uber yummy quick roast veggies with 2 cooking methods!

What you need:

Half a butternut pumpkin or 1/4 a regular greenish skinned pumpkin.
1 sweet potato
Any other veggies of choice
Olive oil, regular or spray, but we put regular olive oil in a spray bottle. It's really handy.
Italian herb mix
or
Rosemary
Oregano
Basil
Salt
Pepper
Aluminium Foil (if you use a BBQ)

Method 1 - OVEN
- Preheat oven to 220C/430F or 210C/410F fan forced.
- Peel and slice the sweet potato into medallions about 1cm/1/2" thick. Leave the skin on the pumpkin and slice into similar chunks (for quick cooking).
- Place the veggies on a baking tray or foil roasting tray (if you have any!) and spread out.
- Drizzle or spray with olive oil til they're all covered, but not dripping.
- Sprinkle herbs, salt and pepper evenly and mix in with your hands until the veggies are all evenly covered.
- Spread out again for even cooking.
- Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes, turn over, then cook a further 10 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
- Serve!

Method 2 - BBQ
- Cut veggies as above.
- Make your tray. You will need about 6 sheets of foil the size of a baking tray. Lay one sheet out on a flat surface. Place another sheet on top. Curl in the sizes to create a tray like appearance.
- Place veggies on the newly made tray and prepare with the olive oil and herbs.
- Take one sheet of foil, place on top of the veggies and fold the edges under the bottom.
- Place another sheet of foil on a flat surface, put the veggies on top, then lay the last 2 sheets of foil on top. Bring together the edges and curl up. You now have a parcel!
- Put on the flat plate of your bbq, on medium heat, cook with lid down for about 10 minutes.
- Using spalutas, turn the parcel over and cook a further 10 minutes.

Lara's version of Bolognese pasta sauce.

What you need:

2 tbs oil
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic
500-750g beef mince
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
1 tbs tomato paste
2 cups water
2 tbs sugar (believe me on this one)

Herbs & Spices:
1 tbs dried oregano leaves
2 tbs dried basil
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp sweet paprika
2 bay leaves
Salt
Pepper

Pasta of choice
Parmesan cheese

Method:
- Finely chop onion and garlic.
- In a small bowl, mix the oregano, basil, chilli flakes and paprika together. (Mum's decided to put the herbs in before the tomatoes rather than after).
- Heat frying pan, add oil, fry onion and garlic til golden brown. Add mince and spices. Cook until all the mince is browned.
- Add 1 can of tomatoes, stir, add the other can, stir. Fill the cans up with water, this will be your 2 cups, it will also remove any tomatoes stuck to the side of the can! Add tomato paste.
- Add salt and pepper, bay leaves and sugar, stir.
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until sauce thickens and the flavours infuse.
- Cook pasta in plenty of salty boiling water as per instructions on the pack.
- Serve with parmesan cheese!

MOAR DIPS!

Tzatziki, greek yogurt dip

What you need:

1 small clove garlic
1 or 2 Lebanese cuccumbers
6 tbs Greek yogurt
Crackers of choice

Method:

- Crush garlic very finely.
- Dice cuccumbers into very small pieces
- Place garlic and cuccumbers in a bowl, top with 2 tbs of yougurt, mix, another 2 tbs yogurt, mix, final 2 tbs yogurt and mix until all combined. Putting in the yogurt gradually will help with evenly mixing the dip.
- SERVE!

Chive dip

What you need:

3 tbs Greek yogurt
3 tbs low fat cream cheese
Small bunch of chives
Carrot and celery sticks or any veggies of choice
Crackers of choice

Method:

- Mix together the yogurt and cream cheese.
- Wash your chives, dry well.
- Using scissors, cut up the chives directly into the yogurt and cream cheese mix. Stir.
- Serve up with your favourite veggies or crackers!

Cheat's French Onion Dip. I hate it, but I know the recipe.

What you need:

French onion powdered soup mix
1 carton Sour cream
Crackers of choice

Method:

- You need to prepare this like a day in advance, because it takes a while to actually come together.
- Place the powered soup mix in a bowl along with the sour cream. Mix.
- Cover with cling film and put in the fridge for a day or so.
- SERVE!

I made chocolate coated strawberries! This recipe is all "WELL DUHHHHHHH".

What you need:

Fresh, ripe strawberries
Chocolate of choice (I use milk chocolate)
GREASE PROOF PAPER!!!

Method:

Wash strawberries very well and dry with paper towels.
Place a pot of water on the stove and bring to the boil, reduce and simmer.
Place a bowl on top of the pot and fill with chocolate. I used half of a large Cadbury Dairy Milk block and broke the pieces in the bowl.
When the chocolate starts to melt, stir with a fork. Keep stirring till all the chocolate has melted and is smooth. MAKE SURE TO TURN THE HEAT DOWN IF THE BOWL FEELS VERY HOT AND COMPLETELY OFF WHEN IT'S MELTED. STIRRING ENSURES THAT THE CHOCOLATE IS SMOOTH AND WON'T BURN. BURNT CHOCOLATE STINKS TO HIGH HEAVENS!
Take a skewer and stick it in the strawberry. Dip the strawberry in chocolate, coating it evenly and place on a plate or chopping board lined with grease proof paper.
When all strawberries are done, spoon the rest of the chocolate over the strawberries.
Put the strawberries in the fridge to cool and the chocolate to set. You can put them in the freezer for a few minutes.

Ya'll try something :P
xx
L.

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:51 am

NozomiStar wrote:those soups sound yummy will deffinetly be trying them out. how many does that recipe serve?

Tomato pasta sauce normally serves 3

2 cans of chopped toms (with or without onions or herbs)
2 tablespoons of tom purée
1 large onion chopped
1 large can of sweetcorn (drained)
Basil leaves (fresh or dried)
2 tablespoons of dried oregano
generous pinch of salt and pepper

chuck canned toms into a large deep frying pan and simmer slowly
chop onions to your preferred size and add to the toms
simmer these together for 5 mins
when juice is slightly reduced add tom puree, sweetcorn and dried herbs. (if using fresh basil do not add at this stage)
Stir occasionally and season to taste.
When sauce is at desired thickness add meat, pasta or veg. (if using fresh basil add this now)
This with pasta is gorgeus!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:07 pm

As requested - Veggie soup and dumplings!! (invented by me last night)

(all veggies chopped roughly unless stated)

3 onions (thinly sliced)
3 carrots
2 sticks of celery
a load of broccoli
2 parsnips
Butter/oil
1 tin tomatoes
3 veggie stock cubes
water
salt
pepper
paprika
Veggie suet
plain flour

1. Put all prepared veggies into a large pan (with lid) add the butter, then salt pepper and parika and gently fry until onions are translucent.
2. Add the tin of tomatoes and enough water to fill the pan until it's about an inch from the top
3. Bring to the boil adding the stock cubes and stirring until they are dissolved.
4. Turn the temp down so the soup is simmering and make the dumplings
5. Use equal quantities of suet and plain flour, slowly add water until the mixute os a stiff doughy consistency.
6. Coat surfaces and hands in flour. roll the dumpling mixture into balls about as big as golf balls (they WILL swell up)
7. put the dumplings into the soup, put the lid on and simmer on a medium heat for 20-25 mins

* Queen of Tangents*

LadyLillith

Post by LadyLillith » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Chilli Con Carne

500g mince
300ml Stock (beef or chicken)
1/2 pepper (diced)
tin of tomatoes
tin of kidney beans
chilli powder
1.5 onions
2 cloves of garlic

Method
Sweat the sliced onions, pepper and crushed garlic in a pan with a little bit of oil or butter. Once the onions are soft, add the mince and stir until it has browned. Add the stock, tomatoes and kidney beans and stir to mix. Add the chilli powder depending on taste. One heaped teaspoon will give it a kick but not mouth on fire feeling. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes (depending on size and how hungry you are!). This recipe feeds about 3 people with a couple of ladlefuls and some rice. I have a lot of half ingrediants because I adapted it from another recipe which said it was four people so I halved most of the ingredients, but there is always some left over!
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.

If the music is too loud, you are too old.

Spooky_Noodles

Post by Spooky_Noodles » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:18 pm

Just a quick one: this is a nice and spicy recipe for barbecued chicken wings that I made a few years ago. It does contain alcohol, but as far as I know the alcohol burns off when they're on the barbecue.

Mexican Standoff marinade
2-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp lime juice
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp chilli sauce (or more if desired)
generous slug of tequila (Jose Cuervo gold is my preference, but any will do)

Put all of the marinade ingredients into a bowl and stir well.
Cover chicken wings with marinade until evenly coated.
Put the bowl in the fridge and leave for at least an hour (cover it with clingfilm, cos it'll smell quite strong!)
Cook on a barbecue or grill until the chicken is well done.
Enjoy!

Alternatively, you could substitute vegetable kebab skewers or prawns if chicken isn't to your taste :)
It's not stoopid, it's ADVANCED!!

faticeira

Post by faticeira » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:44 pm

From Gillian McKeith, this is simple and so delicious. You can leave out the pine nuts if you want.
I do a pepper per person, so one for yourself is plenty, etc...I do not usually have basil around, it is fine without.
Goat's Cheese with Roasted Tomatoes, Peppers and Rocket

* 4 red peppers, de-seeded and halved
* 12 cherry tomatoes
* 2 tsp olive oil
* 125g goat's cheese, crumbled
* 2 tbsp pine nuts
* 200g rocket
* 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil

1. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6

2. Place the peppers (cut side up) and tomatoes on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and roast for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the goat's cheese inside the peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes.

3. Scatter over the pine nuts and return to the oven for 5 more minutes

4. Arrange the rocket on 4 plates, top with the peppers and tomatoes. Serve granished with fresh basil.

Miffy

Post by Miffy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Real Dutch pea soup (snert in Dutch, yeah it looks like it sounds), vegetarian way

Need:

400 grams of split peas
2 big winter carrots
3 reasonably sized potatoes
1 celeriac
2 bay leafs
1 leek
1 small onion
2 vegetable bouillon blocks or something you can make vegetable bouillon with
big pan
if you want: vegetarian smoked sausage

Put 2 litres of water in the pan and wait for it to boil. Rinse the split peas and put them in the boiling water, along with the bay leafs and the bouillon blocks. Let it boil for half an hour, stir now and then to prevent a crust forming on the bottom of the pan and prepare your other vegetables:

Grate 1,5 winter carrot and cut the other half in thin slices(for esthetics only, if you want, you can grate it too). Grate the celeriac. Cut the potatoes in little pieces. Slice the leek up too. Cut the onion in little pieces. Slide everything in with the peas and let it cook/boil for 1,5 hour, don't forget the stirring. If you did everything right, you should end up with a thick pea soup that would look great in a Harry Potter film ;)
Add the optional vegetarian smoked sausage in slices in the end, so it can warm up with the soup. And don't eat the bay leafs if you find them in your bowl!
Enjoy :mrgreen:
Travelling through time, finding my future

http://sheep24.superbij.nl

Intra_venus

Post by Intra_venus » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Strawberry Muffins (12)

Recipe:
Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
• 1/2 cup skim or 1% milk
• 1 egg white
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 3/4 cups flour
• 1 cup chopped strawberries

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line muffin tin with papers.
2. In a small bowl, combine applesauce, milk, and egg white. Whisk lightly.
3. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Toss in chopped strawberries and stir to coat. Pour in milk mixture and stir together just until completely combined.
4. Fill muffin cups. Top with strawberry halves if desired. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.

<3 muffins!

shifuku

Post by shifuku » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:32 pm

GREEN SMOOTHIE FOR THE WIN!
This is my FAVOURITE recipe.
If you want to get all your vit, nutrients and feel like a million bucks,, start your day off with a blender full of this stuff.

3 cups of clean, pure water
2 giant fistfulls of organic spinach
3 leaves of organic black (luciano) kale
blend till you get green water.

add 3 organic bananas
1 organic pear
1 organic kiwi
1 organic orange
1 sprig of organic mint

blend blend blend until you get a foamy frothy smoothie like consistency.

For extra fibre, protein and energy I add 4 tablespoons full of organic hemp hearts.

tip: It's helpful to have a very good blender. If you have a not so decent one, blend more frequently, every new ingredient blend.
Kale is stronger than titanium cell for cell and if you plan on making thee often (I have a blender full every single day for a year now. I can't even begin to tell you how AMAZING my complexion is), you will burn the motor on your crappy blender.
Cuisineart and vitamix make awesome blenders.
If you want to go hardcore buy a blendtec.
Just youtube blendtec and you'll get some hillarious and amazing videos of how this blender can pulverize ipods, pool balls, golf balls and cubic zirconias.

kitty boguls

Post by kitty boguls » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:49 pm

violet milkshake

1 and a half packs of large parma violets
vanilla ice cream
milk (half a pint)
chocolate flake

makes 2 large glasses

Blend together the violets and the milk until the milk turn purple
Add 2-3 large scoops of vanilla ice cream and blend until frothy
pour into a large glass
crush the flake and sprinkle on top

mmmm a lovely and extremely unhealthy milkshake :P
also works well with turkish delight and for some reason blackjacks, Make sure you have a decent blender though or crush the sweets first

PostModernistTrash

Post by PostModernistTrash » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:41 am

NaturalistDesigns wrote:
NozomiStar wrote:Tomato pasta sauce normally serves 3
This with pasta is gorgeus!

Well... duhhhh.... it's a pasta sauce.

(all amounts are approx as I'm from the 'make it up as you go along' school of cooking!)

Chick pea pittas:

1 tin chick peas
tomatoes
salsa
guacamole
green leafy salad
wholemeal pittas
flour
olive oil
garlic
seasoning

-Drain approx half the liquid from a can of chick peas then chuck them in a bowl.

-Add black pepper, crushed garlic and salt (to taste)

-Add enough flour to form a paste/batter when mixed into the chick peas. Set aside.

-roughly chop two or three small tomatoes and mix with salsa

-put olive oil in a shallow pan, heat (medium to hig heat) and add chick peas

-keep the chick peas agitated whilst cooking (10 mins should do it)

-grill pittas for a couple of minutes then slit open

-spread with guacamole and add a generous spoonful of the tomato mixture

-spoon in cooked chick peas and finish by stuffing with green leaves (spinach is good!)

Love these. Can't eat wheat anymore though so would have to use cornflour for the 'batter' and just do away with the pittas altogether!

Chick pea stuffing:

1 tin chick peas
olive oil
tarragon
garlic
black pepper
juice of half a lemon

-drain most of the liquid from the chick peas and add them to a small pan

-add a generous drizzle of olive oil, the tarragon, pepper, lemon juice and garlic

-put on a low heat and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes

-remove from heat and roughly mash

-splodge the mush onto a baking tray, spread evenly and bake in the oven until golden brown.

Chick pea and rosemary soup:

1 tin chick peas
large onion, sliced into rings
rosemary (fresh is best)
seasoning to taste

-Add all ingredients to a large pan

-Add water (amount? no idea... you kinda have to judge!)

-Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 25 mins

-Remove from heat and blend

-you can add cream or similar if you prefer

See a theme?! I love chick peas.......

Icky-nay

Post by Icky-nay » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:57 am

Best Hummus Ever
3 cans of cooked Chick Peas
3 tablespoons of Tahina
6 cloves of garlic
~1/4 cup of olive oil
6 tablespoon of lemon juice
4 pitas or naan
Sprinkle of parmesan

Drain and rinse chickpeas, clean and rough chop garlic. Add garlic, appx half of olive oil, tahina and lemon juice to food processor. Add in chickpeas about 1/2 cup chickpeas at a time, this give a few nice lumps of chickpeas to bite into. Process until more or less smooth, adding more oil if consistency is too thick.
Brush pita/naan with oil and sprinkle each with parmesan, laying flat on a cookie sheet. Pop into a 350 degree celsius oven until warm and kinda crispy. Cut into quarters and serve!

Baked Chicken Penne
5 Chicken Breasts
10 oz Marinara Sauce
10 oz Alfredo sauce
5 oz minced basil
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 oz diced tomatoes
20 oz grated cheddar cheese
25 oz dry penne

Boil water and cook pasta. Meanwhile, cube chicken breasts and saute with butter/oil, garlic and basil . Add tomates once it begins to brown. Add sauces, heat through and then transfer to casserole dish. Mix in pasta, cover with cheese and throw in oven on broil until cheese is browned. Serves four or five as a meal.

Xavialune

Post by Xavialune » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:28 am

Awesome vegan Sweet potato recipe!!!

Ingredients:

4 good sized sweet potatoes
a few cloves or garlic (I like a lot..maybe 5 or 6..the garlic is actually optional)
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup finely shredded coconut
anything else you want to put in (sometimes i put corn, peas, TVP, etc..)

Ok so you need some sweet potatoes. Like maybe 4 good sized ones. Peel and cut them up into chunks. You have to boil them until they are soft (but dont overdo it as I did last time :i3: )

While the potatoes are boiling, dice the garlic and cook it in the skillet for a minute or two. I always cook in coconut oil, as in all actuality olive and vegetable oil turns into carcinogens when heated like that. Dont cook the garlic very long..or youll lose the taste. I tried putting it in with the potatoes for the last couple minutes of boiling it, but it sucked..so I wouldnt recommend it.

After the potatoes are done, strain them and mash them in the pot. Add in the orange juice, and sprinkle the coconut all over while mixing. Then mix in the garlic and whatever else youve got.

ITS FANTASTIC!!
I <3 The Chameleons

ClaireCalavera

Post by ClaireCalavera » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:05 am

Easy Moussaka recipe;

Ingredients:
3 large aubergines
Bechamel sauce or White sauce (you can buy this in packets or jars or make your own)
500g Minced Lamb (or Beef - or Quorn if veggie!)
1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 clove Garlic, finely sliced
2 Onions, diced
1 tsp Oregano,
1 tsp Basil,
1 tsp Parsley,
150ml red wine (optional)
a pinch of cinnamon
120g strong cheese (this can be parmesan or mature cheddar)
salt & black pepper to taste
1 tspb of butter
Olive oil

1) Wash and then slice the aubergines lengthways. Place on paper towels and cover with salt, leave for 30 mins to draw out all the excess moisture.
2) Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and lightly fry the aubergine slices on a high heat, until they have browned. Set aside on paper towels to drain off the oil.
3) In a large frying pan (or if economising on washing up, the same frying pan ;)) heat some more oil and start browning the mince and onions. When they have browned, pour in the chopped tomatoes and stir thoroughly.
4) Add the tomato puree, the sliced garlic and the herbs/seasonings. Stir well, allowing the ingredients to mix thoroughly. Allow to simmer for a little while, then add the red wine and stir again.
5) Allow the mince to simmer for 20 minutes, then sprinkle the pinch of cinnamon on the mince and give it another good stir.
7) Grab a medium sized deep dish, line with the butter and start layering - mince, then a sprinkling of cheese, then aubergine, and so on until the last layer is a thin layer of mince.
8) Thickly spread the bechamel/white sauce over the top of the mince, and sprinkle the top with any remaining cheese. Pop this in the middle shelf of the oven at 180 degrees for approx 45 mins - 1 hour.
9) Take out of the oven and allow to cool slightly, then cut into slices. Try serving with a traditional greek salad and bread for a yummy simple meal :)
"Make any joke you want, you know I look good" - Stewie Griffin

bingeandpurge

Post by bingeandpurge » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:13 am

Low-carb Zucchini Pizza

Several large zucchinis (Would probably work with most squash-type veggies, or even something like eggplants.)
Pre-made pizza or pasta sauce, or make your own with diced/stewed tomatos and herbs
Cheese
Any other sort of veggie topping you like on your pizzas
Sliced pepperoni or sausage if you so choose

Slice the zucchinis in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. We grow some MONSTER zucchs in our garden, so big I sometimes have to cut them crosswise (is that even a word?) as well to fit them in the oven.
Anyway, scoop out the seeds, brush them with a bit of oil and put them in the oven on a cooking sheet. I usually do about 350 F for 20 or so minutes, or until the zucchini is pretty well soft and cooked through. The thicker the zucchinis the longer this will take.
When they're nice and soft (it's easy to check with a toothpick) pull them out and spread the tops and the crack in the middle where the seeds were with tomato sauce and cheese. Sprinkle on your other toppings, I love sliced mushrooms and olives personally.
Pop it back in the oven for another 5 or 10 minutes until the cheese is all melted, then take it out and let it cool. Slice it into bits and gorge yourself!

Zucchinis tend to be one of those things that you plant in the spring and by the time you harvest you have more than you can possibly think of to do with. Case in point last year, when I invented this recipe!

And while I'm here, my world-famous taco pie that I invented as a small child- luckily I had the type of mother that let me play with my food!

Dana's Taco Pie

1 pound of ground beef, turkey, shredded chicken or pork, soy junk, whatever suits your fancy
Package of taco seasoning (Fajita seasoning doesn't taste bad in a pinch, either.)
Package of flour tortillas, I like to use the whole-grain high-fibre type because it's not like you can tell a difference at the end.
Can of refried beans, or your own soaked/cooked/mashed beans
Salsa, I like the "southwest" style with corn in it
Package of mexican style seasoned rice/gumbo seasoned rice/ your own rice with seasonings
A whole bunch of cheese!

Cook the meat in the taco seasoning according to directions, usually just brown/cook the meat then simmer in a cup of water and the seasoning for 10 minutes. Cook your packaged rice/get your rice ready to go. Get your beans all mushed up and warmed and your cheese grated.
In a glass or metal pie dish, lay down a tortilla. You can use really any sort of pan you want if you want to cut the tortillas to size, but my pie dishes fit the small size tortillas perfectly. On top of the tortilla spoon in a bit of the beans, spread it around. Sprinkle with cheese and seasoned meat. Lay another tortilla on top and layer with rice, salsa, more cheese. Lay down another tortilla, and repeat as many times as you have room for! It helps to squish it all down as you lay each fresh tortilla down. If I'm feeling especially decadent, at the end I pour the water and fat from the pan I made the taco meat in around the sides inside the pan.
Put it in a 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes or until the top tortilla is browned and the juices bubble at the sides. Take it out, let it cool, then slice it like a pie and eat with with sour cream and more salsa! It's also fantastic cold because you can eat it right out of the fridge with your hands. :P
All the ingredients are totally optional too, add and subtract whatever you want at will! But trust me when I say to make two or three at a time, this stuff is amazing and goes fast. I usually make two, one to be eaten by the family right away and another one for everyone to snack on for the next day or so.
There are no rules anywhere. The Goddess prevails.
Hail Eris!

http://bingeandpurge.deviantart.com

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:09 pm

Someone posted something about pie recipes in another thread so here is one that is vegan that I love:

Chocolate Silk Pie:

http://www.nasoya.com/nasoya/recipe.cgi ... id=193&S=Y

Chocolate tofu--> http://www.nasoya.com/nasoya/pdf/SilkenCreations.pdf

Futzzz

Post by Futzzz » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:39 am

just wante dto say that i did a veggie version of bingeandpurge's taco pie and it was delish! even my meat loving brother loved it! not that last time im making that:)

neonpixie

Post by neonpixie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:30 pm

this is my Kedgeree recipe... its a simple version, othe recipies use more spices and things... You may be better of looking it up online cause I do this from memory and it's never exactly the same- tasty tho :D

(Ammounts are approximate, when I cook this its usualy for my OH & I so these are ammounts for two people. more exact ammounts can be found online)

250g of smoked haddock (can also use smoked trout)
1 cup of rice
four hard boiled eggs, choped into largeish chunks
200ml water
200ml milk
butter
hot (or mild if you prefer but spicy is better) curry powder- 1 or 2 tbls

boil the rice untill it is just cooked, strain and rince. leave to one side.

bring the water and milk to simmering point in a frying pan and then poach the fish in it untill the fish is warmed thru and starting to flake (5-10 mins)

remove the fish and discard the milk/water. remove the fishes skin and brake the fish into chunks. remove any bones (tho I find that smoked haddock rarely has bones, its best to check.)

melt the butter in a pan and stir in the curry power. add the eggs and fish to this mix- stir well to cote them. warm this mix, stiring to prevent burning.

Warm the rice and add it to the fish/egg/curry mix stir a little bit to coat the rice with the curry/butter.

serve ! om nom nom
Oscail mo shúile, Nìos mò, Èist è sin, Ar an tsáile snámha, Fol lol the doh fol the day...

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”