Market Stalls - Throw me some pointers

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
NaturalistDesigns

Market Stalls - Throw me some pointers

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Okie dokie; I'll try and keep a long story short for you all, and I can add some more detailing as questions arise.

I've been mulling over the idea for doing a market stall to sell off my jewellery and knitted goodies [as selling dreads probably won't be a grand plan at a small market].

Details:
Location - Wellingborough Market, Northants, UK
Website With Costs - http://www.wellingborough.gov.uk/site/s ... mentID=123
When I'd Ideally do it - Last Thursday [Local Produce and Crafts day], or an odd Friday or Saturday.

What I Could Offer:
Handcrafted Jewellery
Knitted Hats, Babies Clothing, Winter Warmers [Scarves, Gloves]
Crochetted Blankets, Placemats, Coasters
*Maybe* Bags / Purses

I'm just completely lost as I'd love to be able to do this; I have had a volunteer in the shape of Paul's Nan to come help me out :D; but how much of each item / costing per item / bargin bin, I'm just at a loss of what to do.

Also, to throw this at you all too, I was asked if I'd consider doing the Christmas Market for the Light Switch On at the beginning of November - If I can find out price per stall, I may book in one.

Good or bad idea - just give it to me straight; I need to know within the next week so I can make up all the stuff to sell :D

CancerHybrid

Re: Market Stalls - Throw me some pointers

Post by CancerHybrid » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:20 am

wow that sounds stressful. i have no experience with this so i cant help. sorry. good luck either way, i wouldnt have the balls to do it. :i1:
*Manda*

Bettedaviseyes

Post by Bettedaviseyes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:33 am

Well the stuff you knit is really cute I've done a few fair type things and it's much less stressfull if you focus on a few things, if I were you I would sell hats, scaves, and bags that way your not to stressed about doing a billion different things..good luck hun!

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:27 am

To begin with only have a few of your items on display, then replace them with more from your boxes after something is sold. If you put all your goods out you risk the stall looking cluttered and people are less likely to be able to see clearly what's on display and it gives the bonus of keeping track of what stock you have left.

If you're going to sell the jewellry it's worth painting up a tree mug or something similar to hang the jewellry on, not only is it eyecatching and shizz it shows how the jewellry hangs and stuff.

Keep and inventory of all your stuff and remember to write down what you've sold

I do have more but I need to get to work so I'll post the rest later.

halocaustic

Post by halocaustic » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:14 am

You couldn't have picked a better time to sell your knitted things!

People are going to be looking for new, funky woolies as it has gotten MUCH colder in the last few weeks. Personally, I would stop at a stall with handknitted goods rather than buy in a shop.
Mind you, my gran has made sure I have an entire drawer full of knitted scarves! I favour my handknitted ones over my shop bought ones every time it's cold outside.

Cardigans would also be good. Everybody loves a comforting hand knitted cardi!
http://www.halo-wear.co.uk
Hair extensions & customised t-shirts

Allexiyah

Post by Allexiyah » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:21 am

This might help sexy beans!

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=788

I was going to get up and running in newport market, i also qualified for an enterprise grant from newport council so give your council a ring and ask!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 am

one thing i learned from experience was to have a range of prices for your stuff. make sure it's not all big and expensive. have some small cheap things too - pocket money type purchases if you get what i mean. that way if someone really likes your stuff but doesn't have enough money for one of your more expensive items they'll still make a purchase and you'll still make money :D
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:39 am

CancerHybrid: I'm excited about it because I'm too much of a people person, so I love to be face to face with customers and potential buyers :D

Bettedaviseyes: I know that having a select few items to begin with to give people a taster of what I sell is always a good idea :D Only reason I said jewellery is because there isn't many handcrafted stalls round here; so it would be a nice change - especially around xmas :D

Phoenix: What we tried to do at the car boot stalls I did last year what use a cork board with colourful pins and abit of fabric to show off the sets of jewellery. I also had a 5 items for a £1 box for the kids stuff I'd made. I have to be careful because I know while I'm there I'll be making stuff to put on the stall :lol:. I'll definately have a cash book and a note book of items I've brought with me; just so both me and Trudy [Paul's Nan] know what has or hasn't been sold. As a side note, it could show what is more popular aswell - so I know what not to bring with me in future :D Thank you for the pointers :D

Sharon, it's another reason I love knitting and crochetting - it's good for all year round and you can knit looser items for the summer; big win win situation! :D My Mum always made school jumpers for the winter as she knew we'd need them :D One up for the knitters!! ^_^

Allybean; I'll see what ENC [East Northants Council] have to say, I may try again with the Princes Trust to see how far I get this time :lol: :D I'll have a read through that once I've done the replying spree :lol: ^_^ x

ScarletLady: I love doing "5 for £1" or "10 Beaded Bracelets for £1" sort of deals; it brought the kids over to look at the carboot :D I managed to sell alot of jewellery there which was really good - I did a custom order while I was there aswell ^_^ I'm gonna make small items mainly, then the larger blankets I can sell a little more expensively. I'm still trying to figure out my pricing :lol: :D Thank you for the pointers ^_^ x

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”