Help dealing with a possible scammer?

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
[Phexxie]

Help dealing with a possible scammer?

Post by [Phexxie] » Sun May 29, 2011 11:02 pm

A number of weeks ago, I was contacted by a latex designer en-quiring if i would like to model their work and I of course said yes

I hadn't heard of the designer before, so I spent a good while looking her up but found nothing other than the facebook page I was contacted from
I figured she was just new to the scene, and looking for some models to jump start her portfolio... fair enough really

Her work looked nice enough, and she had worked with some models before so I decided to give it a go

We exchanged a few messages, and decided that she would send me a purple high-waist garter belt with matching pasties, a blue and white bikini and a dress
She described the dress as being 'very difficult' to get into
I was asked to pay a £140 deposit on the garments to protect against damage etc.
This I agreed to, as I am aware that a lot of latex designers employ the same policy when loaning out their clothing
I sent the deposit, via paypal personal payment

When I got the package, the garter was no where to be seen and instead I had a red caplet with matching knickers and pasties as well as the bikini and dress

I wanted to try the dress on to be sure it would fit, and there was no way I was getting into it
Not even a size 0 girl could get into that, poor design and craft manship as well as a lack of understanding about latex i feel...
I decided to try on the bikini, as soon as I attempted to put on the bottoms they came apart and the same happened with the top, not snapped, just literally came 'unstuck' at the glued points
I barely even stretched the latex, and anyone who has ever worn latex will know that it does has a fair bit of give!
I should mention that the damage is fully repairable by anyone with a bit of latex glue
On closer inspection, there were a good few points on all garments that looked like the glue was coming away, there was excess dry glue all over the dress seams and the applique pattern was not stuck down sufficiently

Alarm bells probably should of started ringing around this point, but i just chalked it up to an honest mistake
I mailed the designer informing her of the damage and ill fitting dress and that I would not be modeling the clothing
She said the £140 deposit I had sent was secure and would be repaid upon return of the garments

Now, she is saying that she has not received the returned garments
At first, I believed her, but now Im not so sure for a number of reasons

1 - Everything else I posted on the same day has long since arrived, I have never had anything go missing when posting within the country (though I accept these things do happen)
2 - She has started to avoid my messages on Facebook, not replying to my requests for updates despite her being online several times through the day posting status updates
3 - She said she would call the post office to check if it was held there, she never let me know if she had and so far has not replied to my message asking for an update
4 - Any messages she has sent back are short, blunt and not as friendly as they initially were making me think she is now trying to just get rid of me, she only replies after I have sent multiple messages
5 - The quality of the garments sent to me do not reflect the same quality that appears in her photos, making me suspicious that she never had intent to return the money as she was hoping they would rip or become damaged in an un-repirable way

All in all, its just starting to feel very dodgy

I don't know if I should attempt to open a paypal dispute (I have checked our transaction and there is an option to do so... which I didn't think was possible with a personal payment)
I will admit, I am a little worried that if I do, she will start to badmouth me all over the internet and try to ruin my standing as a model
This is the same reason that I have not posted anything publicly on facebook about the issue

It will be very easy for her to say that the items were never posted back, I was a div and only sent them first class, not recorded as I was in a rush and it slipped my mind (plus the PO lady didnt ask if anything was worth more than £100 which probably would have made me think otherwise!)

Frankly, I'm stuck and out of pocket, I dont know what I can or should do
I feel bad for thinking she may be hoping to scam me, but my suspicions just wont go away... I have a real gut feeling that this is what she is trying to do...

What should I do? Do I attempt the paypal claim? Do I inform her and give her a chance before I do?
Do I post on her wall and other public places about the issues?
Or, do I just chalk it up to experience and simply accept that I'm an idiot and should not go to the PO unsupervised?

Any suggestions welcome... I wouldn't be too bothered if I didnt have this gut feeling, and didnt desperately need the money back :(

MrsEss

Re: Help dealing with a possible scammer?

Post by MrsEss » Sun May 29, 2011 11:50 pm

I'd post a public message to her wall enquiring as to where your deposit is and let her know that you'll take the matter further if you do not receive your money back. Personally I think as far as your rep goes you'll be ok as you've been modelling for a while and i'm sure that people who know and work with you know you wouldn't try and pull a fast one. Give the latex girl a few days and if you hear nothing back contact paypal.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Mon May 30, 2011 12:05 am

i posted a nice-ish message on her wall stating i hadnt heard from her, she replied with:

'not had anything lady really need the dress x'

to me, that implies she thinks i havent sent it... ¬_¬
i replied with:
'really need my deposit too, i can try chasing up my PO on tuesday but other than that i dont know what to do...'

now, i know calling my PO will do nothing as i doubt it is still there for any reason
i have also PMed her, but had no response again despite the fact that she had just replied to my post on her wall a few seconds before?

im going to wait another day or two, and then post a public message, just need to work out what im going to say to make it nice and diplomatic, and not just a 'GIVE ME MY MONEY BITCH!' kind of message
is it bad that im worried about the backlash i know i will receive from half a dozen random people on FB?? :lol:

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Mon May 30, 2011 6:24 am

From now I would say give her a message sayign if she doesn't send your deposit, or atleast some of it, within the next day or two you will be going to paypal as you've sent the items and they should have arrived. I personally never send recorded unless requested, and i've never had anything go missing, but, ofcrose it does happen. Maybe she isn't trying to shaft you. Maybe shes just got herself in a pickle and can't afford to pay all your depoosit back. So prehaps the option of installments would get her to give you the cash! xx

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Mon May 30, 2011 6:42 am

As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news if you returned the items without any kind of tracking on them Paypal will not refund your money under any circumstances.

You need to sort this out amicably with her and not rely on them to get your funds back as I highly doubt Paypal will touch this with a bargepole. I'll be honest, I'm incredibly surprised you even have the option to file against her if you used a personal payment, I was under the impression there was no buyer protection with this at all. As far as I am aware you can only open a dispute with a Personal Payment under the "unauthorised transaction" tab, which is basically if your account was hacked and you're saying the payment was made without your knowledge or consent. I'd be very careful about doing so as this is essentially reporting fraud and will have your account picked over with a fine tooth comb.

Hope this works out for you alright chick, it sounds shady as hell if I am honest!
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

corpseesproc

Post by corpseesproc » Mon May 30, 2011 7:46 am

This is horrible and I can understand why you would feel like you were getting scammed, I really don't know what to suggest though.
It would be nice for me to be able to avoid this person (to buy from etc) maybenif you don't want to post here could you pm me?
I have a personal list of sellers I don't touch that's getting longer and longer.
It's really hard with postal items, proving what you wasn't what they said they would send as well. She sounds very unprofessional.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleFusion
Bubble Fusion has an etsy!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon May 30, 2011 8:39 am

Dystopatica wrote:As far as I am aware you can only open a dispute with a Personal Payment under the "unauthorised transaction" tab, which is basically if your account was hacked and you're saying the payment was made without your knowledge or consent. I'd be very careful about doing so as this is essentially reporting fraud and will have your account picked over with a fine tooth comb.

I had this headache. I was the seller though & froze my paypal account. Paypal wanted to know everything. What I'd sent, how much it was worth, did I track it, where was the tracking number. It didn't help though that the buyer didn't put what she'd bought from me. It took about 2 weeks I think to sort out completely & in the end paypal gave me the money back.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Mon May 30, 2011 12:22 pm

You can try a paypal dispute, but tbh, without proof of posting/delivery and without having obtained postal insurance, you might just have to put this down to a bad experience :(

Things like this should involve email or written contracts/agreements of terms and always be sent via special delivery with sufficient insurance and reciepts kept ( i know you know this, but ive learnt from mistakes myself... always have a paper trail!)

If you have email communication with her then you can probably use that to show paypal. Trouble is, you dont know for certain that she's scamming you. I have had things get lost by Royal Mail (or Royal Fail), it does happen unfortunately. Maybe you could come to an agreement with her, that you really did send it (do you have a reciept, card statement or anything to prove it?) and maybe you could both meet half way and have half your deposit returned?

Sorry i cant be of more help... unfortunately its a case of ALWAYS posting by trackable postage with sufficient insurance, else accept that this is something that may not get resolved :(
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

Kandiihaar

Post by Kandiihaar » Mon May 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Do you still have the reciept? It may have her address on it, i know one near me prints it on, but the others either don't or hand write it on on request, maybe scan it and send her a copy?

Rail Fail can suck at times, you may have to put this down to experience, but good luck getting it sorted x

starlight

Post by starlight » Mon May 30, 2011 3:49 pm

I would just keep messaging her being as polite as you can, and if that doesn't work go public about it. I'm fairly sure that even though there's a button to open a dispute on a personal payment, when you click it it'll tell you that you can't do it with personal payments.

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Mon May 30, 2011 11:47 pm

thanks for the suggestions everyone

i figured that the paypal route would be a no-go, im hoping that we can come to an agreement and perhaps i will get some of my money back, although i kinda doubt it will :(

shes still insisting nothing has arrived, and still avoiding my messages... and im guessing she hasnt been in touch with her local PO because she never mentioned that when asked

MissPlastik

Post by MissPlastik » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:46 pm

[Phexxie] wrote:thanks for the suggestions everyone

i figured that the paypal route would be a no-go, im hoping that we can come to an agreement and perhaps i will get some of my money back, although i kinda doubt it will :(

shes still insisting nothing has arrived, and still avoiding my messages... and im guessing she hasnt been in touch with her local PO because she never mentioned that when asked
I hate to say it but its a scam :/

The chances of getting anything back are really slim.

All you can do really is name and shame, so others dont end up in the same boat & give feedback

:/

sorry *hugs*

x

TwiggyDEVOUR

Post by TwiggyDEVOUR » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Dystopatica wrote:As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news if you returned the items without any kind of tracking on them Paypal will not refund your money under any circumstances.
True! I had this problem even with a large package sent 1st Class Recorded! I presented receipts and tracking number.. but Paypal only accept proof of 'delivery'.. not proof of 'postage' >:[

I would suggest trying Paypal now any way, while seeking other options incase these options run out before you get to them :s ..as you would have her details maybe Small Claims Court would do it? never think of it as being too minor to take to court, if she is a scammer, it would definately put her off trying it again.

Maybe even try ringing her local Post Office? tell them you sent out a package and see if they've had it come through.. or even if shes try contacting them. I would deffo try out this option as if it's successful you could use the information against her in aid of refund.. just be sure to get names ;/

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:44 pm

hmm... i like that idea Twiggy, gonna be making some phone calls tomorrow i think!

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”