Help! Stuck Contact Lens

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Myz_Succubus

Help! Stuck Contact Lens

Post by Myz_Succubus » Thu May 26, 2011 5:26 am

Following a disaster last night at A&E after a toric contact lens got stuck in my eyelid, resulting in wasted trip to A&E, wasted cash on transport and a trip to the eye clinic this morning (yes it's still in there), it has come to my attention that I need to ask if there is any other methods for stuck contact lens removal as this has cost me substantial time and money - if it happens in future I'd like to be prepared. Anyone any hints/tips/tricks?

BTW: I was wearing them as prescribed, had used contact drops during the day and had not fallen asleep in them or such.

Thanks in advance

guest123

Re: Help! Stuck Contact Lens

Post by guest123 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:20 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Thu May 26, 2011 10:45 am

When you say toric, do you mean the soft ones? Not the hard gas permeable ones?

If the soft ones, then as already said, lots of drops/saline solution... if you can open your eye then try an eyebath. If its your top lid, then can you lift it to get drops directly underneath with the lens...

Ive been wearing lenses for years and years and never had that happen, and i get extremely dry eyes.

If its hard contacts, then its probably been blinked down and created suction... this happened to me all the time... it hurts a bit, but with added moiture it can be gently moved into place again.

Best thing to do is not panic... did you not get seen by A&E then? it seems odd they wouldnt have done anything.
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Thu May 26, 2011 3:21 pm

you can try gently rubbing your eyelid while you eye is closed in a downward or semi circular motion to push the lens back out of your lid.

you can keep the eye moist with drops which will allow the lens to be more mobile.

drink plenty of water, as if you are dehydrated, your eyes will be dry as well.

get a magnifying mirror to help locate the lens and make sure it is even still in the eye. After being stuck in the eye for a while, if it comes out and you blink it out it may feel like it is still in there when it is not.

You may want to go back to your doc and have him check the fit. Everyone has a snafu once in a while, but lenses that fit well should be less prone to slipping up in the eye like that.

hope this helps!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Thu May 26, 2011 3:26 pm

The only time this has ever happened to me is if I'm very tired and have rubbed my eye. Even then, it usually just folds up and a few blinks brings it back out.

I know this might sound stupid but are you absolutely sure it is still in your eye? You should be able to see it in the mirror and, as said above, gentle pressure on the eyelid should coax it to the corner where you can wipe it out.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Thu May 26, 2011 4:13 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:The only time this has ever happened to me is if I'm very tired and have rubbed my eye. Even then, it usually just folds up and a few blinks brings it back out.

I know this might sound stupid but are you absolutely sure it is still in your eye? You should be able to see it in the mirror and, as said above, gentle pressure on the eyelid should coax it to the corner where you can wipe it out.
I was actually gonna ask the same thing. It might sound like a silly question but I've heard of a few people that thought their lens was stuck in their eyelid when it had actually popped out without them realizing it.
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Myz_Succubus

Post by Myz_Succubus » Thu May 26, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks guys, yes it was stuck, right in the centre, behind the globe, apparently it's like looking over a hill so that's why the registrar missed it at A&E :/

Tis out now but my eyeball is incredibly sore, the contact is knacked and generally I'm a bit of a grumpy puss atm. However, thank you all for your support, it's much appreciated :)

Zombiæ

Post by Zombiæ » Thu May 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Glad to know that your contact came out after all!

I've had mine stuck after a night of sleep, when I forgot to take them out. It was the scare of my life, but eventually even I succeeded in getting them out by a lot of rubbing and pooring eyedrops :lol:
♥ ♫ Yo ho ho and a bottle of RAM ♫ ♥

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”