'broken' steamers

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
candycovered

'broken' steamers

Post by candycovered » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:21 pm

I've had two steamers give out on me in the past 4 months. what causes this !
one is only about 2 months old & has only been used for about 6 hours total.
it does heat up, just nothing happens when I pull the trigger !
has this happened to anyone else ? can I fix it ?
I wish that time would stand still,
if this was part of a film
we would watch the clip all day,
like a portrait of you and I...

KellyFox

Re: 'broken' steamers

Post by KellyFox » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:56 pm

This can happen when limescale & flakes clog the nozzle, you need to regularly swill out your steamer and you can use a descaling fluid and swill it around... it might be too late for the steamers you have but it will help to prevent it with a new steamer.
It's more a problem in hard water areas, i find it also helps to filter the water i put into my steamer.

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:18 pm

i only put distilled water in my steamer
*Manda*

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:17 pm

you can try filling the steamer with a mixture of half water and half white vinegar and heating it up. I managed to rescue one steamer from the brink of death this way, at least for a short time. but make sure to steam a few times with just water afterwards before going back to steaming dreads. You wouldn't want vinegar scented dreadies. bleh.

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:23 pm

Miss Liberty wrote:you can try filling the steamer with a mixture of half water and half white vinegar and heating it up. I managed to rescue one steamer from the brink of death this way, at least for a short time. but make sure to steam a few times with just water afterwards before going back to steaming dreads. You wouldn't want vinegar scented dreadies. bleh.
i do that to clean the coffee maker :)
*Manda*

deadteddys

Post by deadteddys » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:20 pm

Mine sounds about the same, apart from when I pull the trigger it blasts steam constantly! Ive tried filling with white vinegar, leaving overnight, then filling with water, letting it steam til the tanks empty, then fill it again. But hey, the same thing happens, I might need a new one :( But this'll be my second (first one did the same so i got a replacement) and they're like £45!

Kaminoke

Post by Kaminoke » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Use battery top-up water/deionized water.

I was getting through a steamer every three-four months, which was costing me a fortune. I switched to different water, and this one has been going for a couple of years now, no problems.

dreadviolet

Post by dreadviolet » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:50 am

Also getting a good (and expensive) steamer will help them last longer. My Kärcher (SC1052) is already over 2? years old and still working. Other ones didn't last even a year.

Although, I might be getting a bigger one, so that I wouldn't need to wait for it to cool down before adding more water.
Fake your hair - http://dreadviolet.com/
Dreadviolet Hair Creations & material supplies -
Dreadviolet Livejournal
Dreadviolet @ Facebook
Dreadviolet @ Google+

candycovered

Post by candycovered » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:03 am

thanks ladies :) xx
I wish that time would stand still,
if this was part of a film
we would watch the clip all day,