The exercise thread.

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
ScarletLady

Re: The exercise thread.

Post by ScarletLady » Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 am

So does Dan...he's a little out of practise now but he used to be able to do scary things with those weights :shock:
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 05, 2011 11:56 am

I got Richard to do the advance "100" move today cos I can manage one or 2 before my body screams at me to stop & he just looked at me as if to say "this isn't hard"

However, he does give me a round of applause when I finish my set.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Thu May 05, 2011 12:35 pm

I went the other way after my children were born; frighteningly thin and unable to gain weight. After Elfin I fit straight back into size 8 jeans. I just tucked the floppy belly in. Over time, I lost weight at an alarming rate, despite eating well and taking midnight feasts to bed. Six months after Elfin, I weighed 7 stone. Six months after Jordan I weighed 5 and a half. People used to say all the time, 'I could do with a bit of that' and it was so damn insensitive. I was properly poorly and got bruses from my bed where the bones stuck out. It's natural (and healthy) to have some reserves when you have a little one to care for, don't beat yourself up Liz.

Now, I eat pretty much healthily but I don't deprive myself of anything. If I want it, I have it, and trust the exercise to make that fine. It's all about the yin/yang of it, it works for me.

I don't do proper weights as my body-type is such that I bulk up fast. The thought of looking like Madonna terrifies me. I like muscle-tone but hate sinew. So I use ankle/wrist weights to add a bit of resistance to my Callanetics from time to time, as being flexible means it's difficult to really feel a stretch. When I work on my arms when I do my DVD, I use the wrist ones and tins of beans. My family think it's hilarious.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Tins is probably a good idea. On work out 2 on my DVD there are some exercises where they use tiny weights, but said it's not essential that you use them, I didn't but could still feel it iyswim? I have naturally gangley arms... literally skin & bone. I have very little upper body strength despite carrying a young child about quite a bit. I have however just checked the "muscle flex" of my arms & it's noticeably different.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Thu May 05, 2011 1:03 pm

Hey girls. do you any of you know a good exercise, or 'thing' i can do to lose weight on, and/or tone up this area? (the bit under the boobs area)

As im tiny chested the weight i carry there is really obvious and i hate it! :(

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 05, 2011 1:10 pm

Er, obliques maybe?? yeah, probably.

However, this image has just told me that the muscle under our boobs is called rectus abdominis.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Thu May 05, 2011 1:15 pm

you need to do cardio
you can't spot reduce
sorry
*Manda*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Hmm, I used to do about 40 minutes of cardio at the gym whenever I could. 20 minute bike, 10 minute run, 10 minute x trainer & I never felt any different & I did it for 6 months er, about 5 days out of 7, followed by 20 minutes of weights.

That was an aprroved programme from my trainer.

I'm not trying to debate. I personally don't like cardio....I tried a few times on our cross trainer cos your heart rate needs to be in certain bpm for cardio & I always went over it.

I did find this though:
Cardiovascular exercise simply means that you're involved in an activity that raises your heart rate to a level where you're working, but can still talk (aka, in your Target Heart Rate Zone). Here's why cardio is so important:

It's one way to burn calories and help you lose weight
It makes your heart strong so that it doesn't have to work as hard to pump blood
It increases your lung capacity
It helps reduce risk of heart attack, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes
It makes you feel good
It helps you sleep better
It helps reduce stress

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Thu May 05, 2011 1:27 pm

CancerHybrid wrote:you need to do cardio
you can't spot reduce
sorry
I realise this, but was just htinking there may be some exersices which are useful to work out this muscle.

Thanks sarah, i'm doign cardio and pilates at the same time in a hope to work out and tone.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Thu May 05, 2011 1:29 pm

It also gets oxygen around your body brilliantly and releases feel-good hormones that give you energy. It's hard sometimes while you are doing it but you feel a real sense of acheivement if you have kept going and finish it.

I really recommend the plank position monique. It's harder than it looks but works really well. As do crunches. Ouch.

Gracey xx

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 05, 2011 1:33 pm

I do a lot of walking/going up & down stairs.....that's my cardio! :lol:

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Thu May 05, 2011 1:38 pm

The recommendation is that you do something for 30mins every day that makes you sweat a bit and raises your pulse. That can mean so many, very enjoyable things.

My granny always said that if you do your housework properly, you should never need to exercise. Mind you, she did used to drag her rugs out back and beat them.

Gracey xx

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Thu May 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Oh thanks for that gracey :D Just looked it up, definatly going to try and do that once a day aswell. at the moment im not really exercising for weight loss, as my diet is crap. More for more energy and happy feelings ect haha. Thought it might help with my up coming exams.

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Thu May 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Planks are my favourite things in the whole world EVER.

I realise this makes me clinically insane. But I love them.

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Bomber wrote:Planks are my favourite things in the whole world EVER.

I tried it.. FUCKING OWW! I shake like a bloody jelly.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu May 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Monique_marion_may wrote:
Bomber wrote:Planks are my favourite things in the whole world EVER.

I tried it.. FUCKING OWW! I shake like a bloody jelly.
For some reason my planks never work my stomach, I feel all of it in my shoulders. Anyone else like this?

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Perhaps you have your weight too far back? If you hold your stomach tight and flat and shift your weight forwards, your stomach should feel the pull.

I do Plank in 4 sets of five, holding for twenty seconds. I've always found it very effective. Everybody is different though, and have various strengths and weaknesses; if I do much more than my 4 sets of 5, my wrists tend to ache.

Gracey xx

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Thu May 05, 2011 5:57 pm

i had had a pretty good workout today. did brazil butt lift, some hula hooping, p90x the cardio episode (it wasn't hard like i thought it would be) and 15 min on my trampoline. feelin' good :D
*Manda*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 05, 2011 6:26 pm

I think today shall be my rest day. Normally on a thursday I take Seth to kickboxing, so it kinda makes sense. The other nights of the week I have nothing doing, however I might feel guilty later & do it anyway.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu May 05, 2011 7:37 pm

I had the 'plank' in my regime back when I was at the gym. Apparently I was supposed to do 45 seconds in one go but I could barely make 20! I was a wibbly mess!

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Thu May 05, 2011 8:27 pm

I can do 30 easily, get wobbly around 45 and feel like I'm about to die at 60 :lol: I tend to intersperse them into my workout and usually do 5 30 seconds one.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu May 05, 2011 8:43 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:Perhaps you have your weight too far back? If you hold your stomach tight and flat and shift your weight forwards, your stomach should feel the pull.

I do Plank in 4 sets of five, holding for twenty seconds. I've always found it very effective. Everybody is different though, and have various strengths and weaknesses; if I do much more than my 4 sets of 5, my wrists tend to ache.
I've tried to shift my weight forward but it just seems to put more pressure onto my shoulders and I still can't feel it in my stomach. Could I be too far forward? I know I'm not arching my back in it because I check in a mirror.

I should probably say a little bit more about my exercise regime.
When I'm at Uni I take bellydance lessons 1 to 2 times a week, pole lessons for up to 5 hours depending on my schedule as well as trying to fit the gym in when I can. When I'm home I'll take aerobics once a week, mini trampoline for up to half an hour every night and a weekly pole lesson. I've just starting callanetics and aiming for 1 to 2 times a week.

I feel I'm pretty sorted on the 'toning' front with exercises but I feel like I'm not doing enough cardio, especially when I'm at home with no access to the gym. I know running/jogging would be the ideal choice but my ankles can't take the pressure. I'm not a huge fan of workout DVDs but I think they'll be my only option. Does anyone have reccomendations for decent ones?

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri May 06, 2011 9:03 am

Ok, so I did have a night off last night. My legs felt rather "tight" last night, I know you need to keep as exercise in order to stay flexible. However, I've done half my cardio for the day & will be doing more than normal today as I have to go to the job centre.

Oh & this, is mainly for me....I'm hoping to photograph my progress as whenever I've done anything like this before I've given up due to not seeing results.
Taken this morning

arm: 9"
chest: 38"
waist: 33"
hips 42"
thigh: 23"

Oh & Liz.....this is me from September last year.....this was may last year.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Fri May 06, 2011 9:43 am

Sarah you are looking fab!! I might do the whole photo thing too.. might keep me motivated!!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri May 06, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks hon. As I said, I don't feel the need to lose weight, just to get some tone. I took one with less clothes on too, but I'm NOT posting that one :lol:

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”