The exercise thread.

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
CancerHybrid

Re: The exercise thread.

Post by CancerHybrid » Mon May 09, 2011 7:25 pm

i haven't exercised in a few days due to fever and puking. what has everyone else been up to?
*Manda*

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon May 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Monique_marion_may wrote:Sarah you are looking fab!! I might do the whole photo thing too.. might keep me motivated!!
Agreed! On both counts!

I'm thinking about the photo thing, I have a couple from last year when I was really chunky, now I've lost a fair amount of weight, I should get a new pic to compare!

As for exercise, apart from a load of walking at the weekend, I was quite lazy last week :oops:

Today I've done 30 mins pilates and a 40 min evening walk!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon May 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Oh, god. I haven't done anything. welll....I did a fuck load of walking today, but was out friday, too tired saturday (& I forgot) and by the time I remembered on sunday it was about 11pm.

I should get some done (pilates) in about the next half hour or so I think
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Mon May 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Good thread :)
I find it very hard to get into exercise on my own. In uni I was in almost constant training- I did a performance art course, but Aber had a very specific way of teaching it which I believe is foremost in the country- it was physical theater and art and dance all rolled into one. We studied everything from Butoh and Noh to simple every day gestures, it was amazing and in the last year, I could do ten hours a day training easy. I had to though and I was doing it for a reason other than to be fit.
Fitness for performance and grades was much better for me, now Im on my own and out in the world I find it very difficult to be motivated to move.

In the last two months I have put on a lot of weight since coming off the pill, and I've read its hard to shift. I hate watching what I eat because I love food so I need to exercise.

I started pole dancing when I first moved to cardiff and loved it, but the friend I went with moved away, I do want to go back though. I also have been looking into trapeze and at the moment am learning hoola hoop which I actually really love!

I dont think its enough though, I go to the class once a week and thats it. I walk alot, but I always have so my body is used to it.

I feel a bit awkward doing exercise videos and things in the same room as my boyfriend but we basically spend all our time in our room because of the living conditions.

SooOoOoo yeah, I guess I'll try and find something and maybe this thread will help!

If anyone has any info on shifting oestrogen weight, that'd be awesome too.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon May 09, 2011 9:43 pm

The awkwardness goes away honey ;)

ooft, I did workout 2 just then.....it's a lot more intense than the first one, so I feel better due to missing out over the weekend. Bizarre, I already feel guilt when I don't do it. However, today I could feel my leg hurting (cue Dr House moment) & it didn't hurt last week, so there must be something to this pilates malarky!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Mon May 09, 2011 9:48 pm

glad you're experiencing some relief (:
*Manda*

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 am

I have been glum and quite uncomfortable over the last few days, due to the good old lady issues, so I have stuck to a bit of Callanetics.

I had a great nights' sleep last night though so I got straight onto my aerobics once I'd taking the kiddie to school. I've been using the workout for over a year and had become so used to it that I barely broke a sweat despite it being an hour long. Today however, I did the whole thing using wrist and ankle weights and what a difference! I was sweating like a beast after only the warm up and now I feel that strange (but very satisfying) mix of knackered and energised.

It's good, as I have a lot to do today, not least taking my daughter to her gymnastics training. If there was ever anything to get my arse into gear and make me feel like a lummox, it's spending three hours watching the frankly barbaric training regimes of elite gymnasts. I haven't a hope (or a want) in hell to look or train like that ever again, but it makes me feel better knowing I have done something proactive myself.

Mkatsi, a lot of people find it difficult to motivate themselves at home. My advice, cruel as it sounds, is to suck it up and do it regularly. As soon as you see results, and you will, you will find it's far easier to get into the idea of doing it. As for your man watching, I know that can be difficult. My man loves to watch my callanetics and my kids love to take the piss out of me doing aerobics with my beans. However, getting them to have a go themselves quickly shuts them up because they than have to quickly concede that I am fitter than they are. The hardest part is the starting, it soon becomes second nature once you're in the swing of it.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue May 10, 2011 10:14 am

I've just done my pilates.

I'm looking into a new workout dvd. I'm thinking of the Claire Nasir 'bootcamp' one. It has good reviews, and she does look amazing.

If anyone is interested here it is http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/2552/1819 ... oduct.html

Let me know if you know any other good 'uns :D

darklove

Post by darklove » Tue May 10, 2011 4:11 pm

ive just tryed a diffent swiming pool today and its so much better then my old one . its alot longer so i have to work alot more to get to the end plus you can use the spa pool, sauna and steam room . i only go once a week so its costs me £1.50 so i cant say i havent got the money to go pool now

night_wolf

Post by night_wolf » Tue May 10, 2011 6:52 pm

So, I've moved back home and unfortunately the gym is out of reach or too expensive for me to consider paying.

I was wondering if anybody knew of any exercise that I can do at home? One that doesn't require a bucket load of room?

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue May 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Depends, what you after??

No exercise for me tonight, just got home. I might do some tomorrow when Korben is asleep.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Wed May 11, 2011 9:56 am

Argh, about to force myself to do 30 mins on the bike. I'll be ok once I get on, but I really don't feel like it!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed May 11, 2011 12:15 pm

I'm a bit stiff from my workout yesterday, I will need to do some callanetics later on. However, I have thighs of steel. This pleases me.

Gracey xx

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Wed May 11, 2011 12:31 pm

god i haven't really done anything, just a lot of walking lately, i really must motivate myself!
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

night_wolf

Post by night_wolf » Wed May 11, 2011 1:47 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:Depends, what you after??

No exercise for me tonight, just got home. I might do some tomorrow when Korben is asleep.
Sorry, I realised my mistake there!

I'm just after seeing to keep me fit, after going swimming the other week, I realised how dire my fitness is. Luckily I'll be taking up cycling again soon, but I want something that tackles all the body and keeps me fit, I'm not so bothered about weight loss, I just want to keep fit and healthy and not be out of puff so much! :lol:

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 11, 2011 3:55 pm

No, no one on here is bothered about weight loss. That's what the WW thread is about.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

night_wolf

Post by night_wolf » Wed May 11, 2011 7:33 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:No, no one on here is bothered about weight loss. That's what the WW thread is about.

Woman, that isn't helping my cause. :lol:

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Wed May 11, 2011 8:48 pm

ShadowThrone wrote:
Roller derby workout. Hard work without skates on, nearly impossible with! And it's not just for those who play derby, it works lots of different parts of the body and I think it's about 45 mins for the whole thing or you can skip to particular parts. There's also a work out challenge related to it on Facebook where they run 8 week programmes and post workouts for each week and it's accompanied by a dietary plan if you're also that way inclined.

Finding something you enjoy and want to do is always the hardest part of exercising!
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Wed May 11, 2011 9:04 pm

still feeling too sick for my normal workout, but i did walk 4 1/2 miles to get my car from the shop. now i don't feel like a total bum at least :roll:
*Manda*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 12, 2011 7:34 am

night_wolf wrote:
DreadstarMonstar wrote:No, no one on here is bothered about weight loss. That's what the WW thread is about.

Woman, that isn't helping my cause. :lol:

OK, OK. Cardio really, judging by what you're after. Running, swimming, brisk walking....as Gracey said earlier, anything that gets your heart rate up a few bpm.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Thu May 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Ice_Pick_Abortions wrote:
ShadowThrone wrote:
Roller derby workout
Cool, thanks :D I'd heard of this one before, it looks interesting.

I've got the one before I mentioned on the way, and a Tae Bo one. Should be interesting, knowing me I'll accidentally kick household objects, the cat etc :P

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Tae bo was really popular a few years ago. I watched some you tubes a while back & it's all too bouncy for my liking.

I did pilates earlier from memory, I mixed the 2 workouts....I can do 2 "planks" before my body collapses.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Thu May 12, 2011 1:57 pm

The best home workout I ever had was, surprisingly, a Cher one. It was called A New Attitude and had a Step section, an Abs and Back section and a Hips Bum and Thighs. The workouts were unbelievably effective and easy to get into. I looked like a machine when I was doing that every day.

The music was cheesy but I find that most workout music is, and you did have to put up with Cher singing along to her own songs and talking about when she met the Queen.

An added bit of fun, when tiredness kicked in, was the wardrobe choices of the women involved. Mostly Cher, obviously. Fishnets for Step and a leotard that was possibly multitasking as an exfoliation device for the back of her throat. Gotta love it. The only reason I don't still do this one regularly is that my copy is an old and battered VHS tape. Sadly, even that is not as old and battered as our VHS player, which died a death around 2004 and hasn't been replaced.

Gracey xx

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Thu May 12, 2011 5:13 pm

woolhairhabit wrote: Fishnets for Step and a leotard that was possibly multitasking as an exfoliation device for the back of her throat. Gotta love it.
Oh lordy! I did see a Beverly Callard one on Play that's probably a bit like that :lol:

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri May 13, 2011 7:00 am

Right, just so I can get it straight, it's better to do a longer workout where I'm just out of breath, rather than doing one that leaves me struggling for breath?

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”