The exercise thread.

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
starlight

Re: The exercise thread.

Post by starlight » Wed May 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks Sarah, that looks good!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed May 04, 2011 3:36 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:We need Gracey, she is the Callanetics queens
Hehe I missed this thread somehow. Here now.

OK I can't claim to be an expert as such, but I have done Callenetics consistently since my teens. I am from a gymnastics background which means I am strong and supple, and that my body is designed to stay that way. But it wouldn't without help. I am now 35 and have two children. I do some form of exercise most days; either yoga, callanetics or aerobics. I also walk a lot and cycle sometimes.

I have also visited the Weight Watchers thread (during a crap podgy day) and later felt perhaps I was out of place. I am 5'4" and wear a size 10. My measurements are 34/27/38. I am no kind of skinny, nor do I need to lose weight. I am muscle-packed though and that weighs heavy; most are surprised to find I weigh 10 stone. An exercise thread is a great idea.

I was taught Callanetics by an ex-gymnast in her 80s who still taught several classes per week and who could still do the splits. I was taught the classic version, as peformed by Callan Pinkney herself in the first books and videos. That is the version I recommend and practise, although I have incorporated some of the newer versions into my routine. If an 80 year old contortionist doesn't seal the deal, it's worth noting that Ms Pinkney is in her 50's when she filmed this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA_6wUpaejw

She herself is an ex-dancer, who devoloped the programme initially to treat and correct scoliosis of the spine. There are books available, and DVDs, though I suspect that the workout in its entirety will exist in sections across youtube. Likewise, there are some astonishing pictures of results. I am not willing to post my own pictoral proof of how the regime tones and maintains a physique, but I am more than willing to list the exercises I practise as a matter of course, if anybody is interested.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 04, 2011 4:18 pm

I too felt outta place in the WW thread. I'm not watching what I eat. I'm a size 14ish & at 5 foot 10, I'm very happy. I have no idea how much I weigh, the only reason I knew how much I weighed was the bloody nurse decided to weigh me at 8 & a half months pregnant. I'm pretty sure a stone of it was lumpy, liquid & whatnot. Ooh, & I was a size 18/20 after having my son 18 months ago.

Anyhoo, yes Gracey please, it'd be interesting to know what you do. Do you have a rest day at all or not?

I can't remember if I mentioned this but atm I'm doing 30 minutes of Pilates & my regular amount of walking. I'm hoping to learn my DVD in a few weeks & tweak the workout to about 40 minutes rising to an hour per day.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Wed May 04, 2011 4:26 pm

ooh please do list what you do gracey, im loving my callanetics and my aim is to do it until i can do the advanced versions of the stomach exercises then il move onto the advanced DVD :D

Me and my OH are going for a 1hr 30min walk up guisborough hills tonight so that should be fun! :?
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 04, 2011 4:35 pm

That sounds weird. I've always known em as Eston hills. God I LOVE going up there. Might take the boy during the summer holidays.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Wed May 04, 2011 5:34 pm

oops, i meant guisborough woods hons :oops: eston hills are still eston hills :D

They are also very brilliant, lets your legs know you have done something :lol:
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Wed May 04, 2011 6:00 pm

I never once thought I'd say this but I really, REALLY miss exercise at the moment. I can't do anything other than upper body weights and the exercises from my doctor for my ankle so for the last five weeks I've done next to nothing but sit on my arse and feel ridiculously unfit.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Pilates/yoga/callanetics, the first 2 are pretty low impact & are all about stretching....but your muscles get a work out too. I'm guessing callentics would be good too, howver I've never tried it.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed May 04, 2011 6:05 pm

I do have rest days, but my regime is in no way structured. Some days, I want a proper workout so I do some aerobics. Other days I can't be arsed and so I don't do any. But I swear by callanetics to kill an hour, to de-stress, to have a break, to have a think, if I'm going out, if I'm staying in, if I'm feeling shit, if I'm feeling good, if I have period pain, if I have muscle ache, if I've got a day off, if I've been working loads, to wake me up, to chill me out... it's basically a bit like breathing haha.

I will have to trawl youtube for clips to demonstrate my routine but it will have to be later as all this talk of callanetics has put me in the mood to do some.

Gracey xx

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Wed May 04, 2011 6:10 pm

I can't even go swimming according to the doc. All exercise is strictly verboten until my ankle finally decides whether or not it wants to be twice the normal size and stop hurting.

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Wed May 04, 2011 6:26 pm

yes yes good, i need some motivation! i start something then stop it,
at the moment im doing zumba on the wii (not regulary just as and when i can be arsed and i havent done it in a few weeks )which is good as its quite fun too,
i want to get into yoga as thats what i was recomended to do to help with my depression anxiety and panic attacks but again i started it for a few months then got out or it, i have quite a few wii games for yoga and pilates which are all good. i just really need motivation.
but cos of my dicky heart i worry about overdoing it and that im just gonna keel over and never regain conciosness again. and then i think well wilst im smoking is there any point in excersising?? (i am wanting to give up the fags)
my downfall is get up get have cigarette to get me started get kids ready for school come back and have another cigarrette, but i guess what i should be doing is either getting up early and doing the excersises to get me going or come straight bck from the school run and do it,
im heard contradicting things about the best time for excersising, for you ladies doing regular excersises what kind of time do you find it suits you better?
i also do a lot of walking and cycling, i really want to ge bac k: into running/jogging but theres no way my body is up to that yet.
i always say to myself right next week will be the week i do it properly but of course that week never comes round lol
at least on this thread now we can motivate each other i think that will be very good, so if you see me on the chat thread tell me to get off my backside and excercise please lol
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 pm

First thing on a morning is best, but I do mine on a night as atm, that's really all the "spare" time I have.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Wed May 04, 2011 7:46 pm

I do pilates too :)
Last year when trying to lose exercise I started jogging, really loved it, but I've got a dodgy knee and the physio told me to stop and try pilates instead. So I did.
I do miss jogging though.

I also have 3 of those 10 minute work out DVDs which I really like. 2 are focusing on belly toning / losing belly weight and the other one is "dance yourself thin" :lol: Sounds daft but I really enjoy prancing around the living room.
I now have abs of steel ... Under a layer of belly fat.
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Wed May 04, 2011 8:14 pm

<<Miss_Sami>> wrote:
I now have abs of steel ... Under a layer of belly fat.

geez, i have several layeres of belly fat that seriously needs to be shifted! lol
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed May 04, 2011 9:19 pm

For cardio exercise, I much prefer mornings. I take Elfin to school, shove the sofa out of the way, flip the blinds and bounce around my lounge until I'm purple in the face and retching. I have a DVD called Beach Bum which is a broken down into 10min segments; warm up, legs, arms, bum, belly, cool down. If I do one, I do them all. I like evenings for Callanetics; in the bedroom with some tunes on. Yoga is best for me on a mellow afternoon, but can tend to make me drowsy.

I don't have a six-pack these days. My belly is hard but its skin doesn't fit. Ah well, can't have it all. I do have an, erm, notable bumper though.

I have hit on a problem with linking my routine, given that I do it from memory and in my head they are called things like 'hang there and twist' and 'legs spread and twitching'. Perhaps I need to take some time and do a photo tutorial, then I can use my own names and variations. Over the years, I have adapted some stuff to include bits I know from elsewhere. I just need a photographer who won't take liberties. So that's my mister ruled out.

Gracey xx

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 04, 2011 9:30 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:I just need a photographer who won't take liberties. So that's my mister ruled out.

Hahaha!

My hamstrings hurt, however I'm off to do my pilates. No pain, no gain apparently.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 am

i have a fairly active job and then i usually work out after dinner. i am not a morning person so that cancels that out.
*Manda*

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Thu May 05, 2011 10:45 am

just tried brazil butt lift and i have to say my buns are on fire. :D it was more of a warm up for me though, as my friend will be over soon to work out. i like to work out a bit before he gets here so that he doesn't feel so out of shape when we work out together. today with be the last work out session with him for 6 six weeks. oh well. at least the cat is a good supervisor. if i start to look tired, he gives me that judging face that only cats can :lol:
*Manda*

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu May 05, 2011 10:53 am

I think exercise is more of a idea for me than diet etc. My diet isn't bad and while I could do with losing a bit of baby weight I feel a little out of place in the WW thread as well as lots of people tell me I don't need to lose weight. I'm 5'10" and a bit and have no clue what I weigh but I'm a size 14 (with a 16 bum). I'm well aware I can carry a bit of extra weight due to my height but NOTHING FITS ME! And my belly is floppy which I hate...I doubt diet will make much difference to be honest so I'm hoping exercise does.

I know I've just had a baby so I should stop beating myself up, but I really hate how I look at the minute. Plus having about 2 things that fit when I have no money for new clothes is really getting me down :cry:

I refuse to wear my maternity clothes now, though I did for a month or two afterwards.
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Thu May 05, 2011 11:19 am

Just done two of Erin's videos.. wow I am so unfit! Hopefully ill get better if i do it every day.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 05, 2011 11:35 am

I think most people wear maternity clothes for a while after having a baby, I know I did. But I totally get what you mean, however the body stores excess fat when you're pregnant which can take a while to shift. I lived by the mantra "it took 9 months to grow a baby so it'll be at least 9 months to get back to normal" some people think that's too long, but I tried not to care too much about the weight, i got some cheap jeans & trousers from ebay. It pained me to buy them cos when I looked in the mirror I didn't think I looked "large"

I will say though, if you have loose belly skin the only thing that will 100% get rid of that is surgery. There'll more than likely always be a bit. I look fantastic (like super flat stomach) when I'm stood up, but have a roll when I'm sat down.

Oh, ladies. My hamstrings hate me :lol:
Last edited by MrsEss on Thu May 05, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu May 05, 2011 11:37 am

DreadstarMonstar wrote:I think most people wear maternity clothes for a while after having a baby, I know I did. But I totally get what you mean, however the body stores excess fat when you're pregnant which can take a while to shift. I lived by the mantra "it took 9 months to grow a baby so it'll be at least 9 months to get back to normal" some people think that's too long, but I tried not to care too much about the weight.

I will say though, if you have loose belly skin the only thing that will 100% get rid of that is surgery. There'll more than likely always be a bit. I look fantastic (like super flat stomach) when I'm stood up, but have a roll when I'm sat down.

Oh, ladies. My hamstrings hate me :lol:
My belly isn't THAT bad, it's more flabby than just loose skin. My bewbs seem to have perked up a little in the last couple of weeks since I've been a bit more active, and my tummy has got flatter...but I have fat arms :cry: Which I've never had before...

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 05, 2011 11:39 am

My mister swears by weight lifting. It also helps perk the boob area.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu May 05, 2011 11:42 am

Lugging a buggy and a big baby around has definitely toned up my arms!

Dan's got weights here but they scare me. He has a barbell and dumbells and loads of weights

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 05, 2011 11:48 am

I can lift Richards weights, but that's about it :lol: he makes it look so easy!

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”