Quitting Facebook

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Librarynerd

Quitting Facebook

Post by Librarynerd » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:40 pm

I bugged out of Facebook about 8 months ago. Deleted all my pics, untagged myself from everything, un-friended everyone, and deleted my account.

I felt really weird for a few weeks, I felt this compulsion to check Facebook every time I turned on my computer:) Now I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

I have nothing against Facebook and I didn't quit because I worried someone was going to mess with my personal info. I'm way to poor and low on the food chain for thieves or the Government to give a shit about. Facebook just started feeling really creepy to me, I don't really want to know that much about other people. I also was starting to feel enslaved by it.
Anyone else here dumped Facebook? Why?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

MrsEss

Re: Quitting Facebook

Post by MrsEss » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:49 pm

I don't understand what you mean about creepy. It amuses me, facebook I mean. There are a lot of people I only ever interact with on there or twitter. Also, it allows me to correct people on an international scale! :lol:

*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Nenedhel

Post by Nenedhel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:38 am

DreadstarMonstar wrote:I don't understand what you mean about creepy. It amuses me, facebook I mean. There are a lot of people I only ever interact with on there or twitter. Also, it allows me to correct people on an international scale! :lol:

Haha thats brilliant
Midnight Orchid - custom dreads and hairpieces, corsets, accessories and clothing
Folksy
Etsy
Custom corsets for only material costs? Its true, just message me for details/ order... only on HEF, you know you want one

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:39 am

"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:51 pm

What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:54 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UouP8cRYZ8

And this.
bahahahhaa thats awesome :lol:
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:20 pm

I really don't think I could quit facebook again, I did for a while and it lasted probably a maximum of 3 months (I had no internet so there was no point having an account). I do enjoy going on there and... well I have a thing about having the last word, so it normally fills my evening.
I went through one of those times where I updated my status every 5 minutes to see if it would annoy people... I'm really not a "good" facebook user, I normally annoy people :lol:
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:24 pm

I will have it known, that both Sarah and Gracey SEPARATELY caused me to choke on my water from the various things they posted that made me laugh!

I enjoy Facebook, HOWEVER, I am suuuuper selective about who I "friend". Unless I know you personally, in the flesh, there is a VERY slight chance you'll be admitted in to my personal circle!

And yeah when people get TMI on me I just mute them so I don't have to deal. :P
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

night_wolf

Post by night_wolf » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:47 pm

And this.
I love that video, adore it almost. It's the very reason my facebook has 66 friends and most of those are university friends or family.

Ridiculous, remind me in may to get rid of facebook like I said i would months ago, I have no need for it!

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:15 pm

I have a like/hate relationship with it. Its really good for me to keep in contact with my friends from the UK. On the other hand, I get every bloody detail of their lives and it can get annoying. :roll:

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:23 pm

..::AtomicLox::.. wrote:I will have it known, that both Sarah and Gracey SEPARATELY caused me to choke on my water from the various things they posted that made me laugh!
:lol: I've been told this faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too often about my personal facebook. I don't have it linked on here anymore & most "friend" requests I ignore, none of that "add them anyway" crap.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:47 pm

if fb done my head in , i just wouldnt use it, i wouldnt delete it, i go through phases with it, i like cos its good to be in touch with people, when i joined up years ago there wasnt vaery many people on it then but now there are zillions, and it does annoy me sometimes cos everytime i log on there are always friend requests, some from people i dont now which annoys me when they dont even bother sending a mressage with the fr saying who they are or how they know me, but overall i think tis ok
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:10 am

And this.

That is perfect.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:36 am

I probably should add that I do use Facebook on a daily basis, though I understand entirely why it troubles people. I have two profiles; one is strictly close friends and family and the other is under my professional guise. I find this is the easiest way of keeping my personal stuff personal and my work separate.

I don't go on my work one as much or in the same way. Even then, what I post on my personal page is 99.9% nonsense. I regularly go for a long time without posting and have regular friend culls if I'm seeing things that unsettle me in any way.

I am rather inhibited online at the best of times, with HEF and Facebook being the only forums and social networking I use, and the only sites I post on anywhere. I do love that video though, it says everything I think about the whole thing.

Gracey xx

liz

Post by liz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:09 pm

Anyone heard of web 2.0 sucicide machine? http://suicidemachine.org/

I’m fascinated by Facebook and social networking in general.
I have two Facebook accounts. It’s very good for keeping in touch with people in different time zones.
http://www.lizsterry.com http://www.facebook.com/SterryArt
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." -mm

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:18 pm

i have two profiles AND a 'page' :roll:

there is a reason for it though....

personal profile = friends, family, people i know and have spoken to either IRL or online, in other words people i know actually exist

networking profile = promotion, networking etc for my artwork and modeling, a place where i add whoever chooses to add me, spreads the word and all that :)

page = as above, but with way less updates

its a good little promo tool... and i do spend WAAAAAAY too long on it
i have no life >_<

xxkinzixx

Post by xxkinzixx » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:32 am

i've been contemplating getting rid of mine for some time now. i could rant for hours about all the crap i hate about facebook... too many people posting dumb statuses, always having to watch what i post because of family members, people adding me and then never speaking to me, and then of course, can't forget those creepers!
facebook is a great concept, i love keeping in touch with my friends. i just think it's abused too much now. and i think it has eyeball crack in it! i'm almost always logged in and i hit refresh hundreds of times a day :lol: sometimes i feel like it affects my functioning. all those hours wasted reading stupid posts could certainly be put to better use, haha.

as a perfect example- ^^i typed all that about an hour ago but i switched over to facebook and i got stuck there!! aaagh! :evil:
SYNTHETIKZERO - Custom Jewelry, Synth & Wool Dreads, Hair Accessories
Etsy
Facebook

Thorne

Post by Thorne » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:19 pm

I could never get rid of Facebook. I can't stand long phone calls just to chat, so FB helps me keep up to date with my friends without having to spend an hour on the phone to them. Also, it helped me reconnect with my best friend. We'd drifted apart after an arguement (cannot for the life of me remember what it was about) and one day she signed up and we've been inseparable ever since :D

I wish my sister would get rid of her account though. If there was a record for the person who has been "Fraped" the most, she would have it. It would be amusing if her friends weren't completely lacking in imagination. Today she is a male from Fanny, West Virginia and I won't divulge what "he" likes doing whilst picking "his" long crusty toenails. :roll:
I'm not a role model, I'm a fashion icon.

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm a little addicted to facebook. I think it's because it's always moving, so since I get bored so easily it always gives me something to do. I also like being able to keep in touch with people. And it seems that I get to know what's going on in people's lives that I may not know otherwise (like when they get married and have kids). It's fun to debate with people, but I try to stay away from anything that becomes full on drama. I have over 300 friends, but I clean it up regularly. I may add someone I only vaguely know, but if their posts annoy me I'll get rid of them.

I don't think I could ever quit. It's bad :(

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:03 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:I don't understand what you mean about creepy. It amuses me, facebook I mean. There are a lot of people I only ever interact with on there or twitter. Also, it allows me to correct people on an international scale! :lol:

THIS! :D

That 6 reasons to quit facebook thing is a bit scary though D:
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:10 pm

http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:04 am

She actually made me want to smack her. Or at least write some retorts on pieces of paper.

Ah, well. Can't ever win 'em all!

Gracey xx

SdSiNthetics

Post by SdSiNthetics » Fri May 06, 2011 12:09 pm

I deactivate my personal account every couple of months when I have studying to be done but at the same time facebook to me is the one place where I can talk to all of my friends (the majority of which live nowhere near me and I only see a couple of times a year) all at the same time :D x
Hair fanatic, dread addict

I Am The Asylum

Post by I Am The Asylum » Fri May 06, 2011 7:26 pm

I could never get rid of my facebook. It's a great way to keep in touch with family and friends that live far away. I don't have a cell phone (hate talking on the phone), so facebook is ideal for me.
But the other day, I did decided to delete the people that I never talk to. So now I just have 63 friends. All of which are family members, friends I know IRL or good friends that I've made online. I also blocked all game apps, cause I was sick of people spamming their crap everywhere.
And I rarely ever get friend requests (maybe once every other month), so I don't have to worry about "friends" piling up again. lol
If leeches ate peaches instead of my blood
Then I would be free to drink tea in the mud!

Facebook
DeviantArt

SdSiNthetics

Post by SdSiNthetics » Sat May 07, 2011 7:38 am

I Am The Asylum wrote:I could never get rid of my facebook. It's a great way to keep in touch with family and friends that live far away. I don't have a cell phone (hate talking on the phone), so facebook is ideal for me.
But the other day, I did decided to delete the people that I never talk to. So now I just have 63 friends. All of which are family members, friends I know IRL or good friends that I've made online. I also blocked all game apps, cause I was sick of people spamming their crap everywhere.
And I rarely ever get friend requests (maybe once every other month), so I don't have to worry about "friends" piling up again. lol
It's a good way to do it, I use the same method and then have an account just for dreads so I don't risk having people I don't know or trust on my page, it's made me a lot more comfortable when it comes to posting pictures and things as well x
Hair fanatic, dread addict

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”