A little help from rat fans please[UPDATE 3/11]

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Ice_Pick_Abortions

Re: A little help from rat fans please[UPDATE 3/11]

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:11 pm

yea definitely just keep them together. it's still early days. as long as you notice them sleeping together you really have nothing to worry about. a few of my boys scream blue murder if they're pinned but it generally doesn't go past that and next minute you look, they're all curled up together again.

on fancy-rats, if you post a question that has been asked a billion times, then you're not likely to get an answer. there's loads of topics on there about what is and isn't normal for rat fights etc so a search should bring up all you need to know.
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

ClaireCalavera

Post by ClaireCalavera » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:49 am

Completely agree with what's been said here - my two boys constantly wrestle with one another, even now! Mojo is smaller but has always been the more confident, alpha male, but Bollo likes to test the waters every now and then to see if he can steal the title from him :lol: Silly boys! They also squeak and squeal every time they pin one another, it's perfectly normal.

"No blood, no foul" as Gemstone says, is the thing to keep in mind :)
"Make any joke you want, you know I look good" - Stewie Griffin

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:11 am

we used to have a big community of rats (we bred for a while) and they were always squabbling...as long as it's not getting really nasty i wouldn't worry about it - rat's can be quite hardcore, if they were going to kill each other they would have done it by now.
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Freakonaleash

Post by Freakonaleash » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:20 am

I have took everyones advice and kept them together of a nightime. ive just forced myself to stay back and not act like a concerned mummy everytime i hear a squeak lol.

Although i am concerned about the little one at the moment,he has been sneezing a hell of a lot and i swear i heard his chest croaking this morning. I am hoping its not the start of a respiratory infection, i dont use woodshavings but the breeder i got him from did use them.(i also make sure i dont light candles,incense or spray deodrant in my room because of the little ones). Im looking round at different vets in the area in the moment as i would like to get him checked out. I have emailed the local pdsa to see if i am eligible to go there.

I feel hopeless as a rat owner right now :i3:

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:39 am

aw darlin - it's a learning curve with everyone...it was the same with me when i had them!
at least you're obviously really concerned for their welfare and are doing the best you can and finding out as much info from other rat owners as you can - i'm sure you'll be fine *hugs*

* Queen of Tangents*

Miffy

Post by Miffy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Freakonaleash wrote:I have took everyones advice and kept them together of a nightime. ive just forced myself to stay back and not act like a concerned mummy everytime i hear a squeak lol.

Although i am concerned about the little one at the moment,he has been sneezing a hell of a lot and i swear i heard his chest croaking this morning. I am hoping its not the start of a respiratory infection, i dont use woodshavings but the breeder i got him from did use them.(i also make sure i dont light candles,incense or spray deodrant in my room because of the little ones). Im looking round at different vets in the area in the moment as i would like to get him checked out. I have emailed the local pdsa to see if i am eligible to go there.

I feel hopeless as a rat owner right now :i3:
The sneezing could be caused by stress at this moment, you could look if he has porfyrin round his eyes and nose. If he sounds like a coffee pot, it's really time to get him checked out by a vet. In the mean time, you could add some Bisolvon to the drinking water, to give him a little bit more air.
Travelling through time, finding my future

http://sheep24.superbij.nl

Freakonaleash

Post by Freakonaleash » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:00 pm

im always checking porfyrin round their eyes and nose, thankfully i can say neither have them have had any.
Ive not heard james make the noise anymore today but will be keeping a close eye on him. In the meantime i will be looking out for some bisolven,any recommendations on where to get it?

Miffy

Post by Miffy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:57 pm

I have no idea where to get it where you live, but in The Netherlands cough sirups like Bisolvon are on the shelf in all drugstores. It's always nice to have on hand when someone starts sneezing again (including yourself ;) ) Bisolvon contains bromehexine, most drugstores' own brand contain it too. It's important though, that you don't don't put too much in the drinking water. Too little on the other hand will prevent it from working.

In The Netherlands there are two people who have become very specialized in rat illnesses over the past years. It's a pity I can't find any of their text translated to English, but the first comment on THIS page explains the whole Bisolvon thing in English and gives you the dosage ;)

Freakonaleash

Post by Freakonaleash » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:32 am

I am at a loss this morning. James chest noises havent got any better, ive been ringing around all the vets I can find in sunderland, and because there are none in the city centre where i live i have been told I am out of the catchment area for all of them. Im panicking as I cant buy baytril online without a prescription from a vet. I dont know what the hell I am supposed to do!

Miffy

Post by Miffy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:45 am

It definately sounds like he needs a vet. Maybe this can help: http://www.cavyrescue.co.uk/vets.shtml You can also ask for help or vet locations on the forums of http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk . I would not go fooling around with antibiotics myself, I could make it worse than it already is.

Freakonaleash

Post by Freakonaleash » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:01 pm

managed to find an out of area vet to take james too later on today, appointment is at 5pm. They have told me to bring lars along too so they can both be checked out. consultation is £13 per rat, the only problem is im going to have to take them on the metro to get there, hoping the rain holds off.

Freakonaleash

Post by Freakonaleash » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:28 pm

ok quick advice from somebody (as i am leaving in an hour to get the metro to the vets)-
I have sorted out a nice big shoe box to put the rats in to take the the vets,ive put their fleece pouch bed in there to keep them warm, no i need to put any food and water in there for them? will probably be gone for an hour and a half-2hours

Miffy

Post by Miffy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:48 pm

I would take a little bit of food and water with you. They might eat nothing, but it's best there's something to nibble on if they want to. It's impossible for rats to throw up, so no harm can come from it.
You could also carry them in a warm bag in stead of a shoebox. When I had to go to the vet and didn't have a transport box yet, I just put my ratties in a large shoulderbag with a towel to keep them warm.

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:12 pm

you've probably already left but a proper carrier is a good investment. you may have already realised, but two rats can make short work of a cardboard shoe box ;) when i take my boys anywhere, i take something like frozen peas or ideally cucumber (also helps calm them down) and leave that in with them. it gives them something to eat and also provides moisture if they want it but they're usually not interested.

let us know what the vet says!

Freakonaleash

Re: A little help from rat fans please[UPDATE 7/11]

Post by Freakonaleash » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:28 pm

some good news, the vet checked them both over, both healthy inside and out. she said james might have been born with a lung problem where an infection flares up whenever he gets excited or nervous, as his chest sounded clear when she checked. she has given me some baytril to put in their water bottle a couple of times a week.

they didnt break the shoebox which was good, but thats probably due to putting their favourite fleece bed in there,they slept for most of the journey

glad that one had a happy ending. and a bonus is the bill only came to £20, so i went and spoiled them with treats and toys after :roll:

Gemstone

Post by Gemstone » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:32 am

aw that's good news about the chest, just keep an eye on them both still, Sam's on Baytril at the moment for an abcess on his belly - you're lucky you get to put it in the water - there is nothing like trying to trick a single rat in a group to eat a snack with the stuff in it.... I swear the little man knows which snack each time (even tho I change it each day) :roll: the odd thing is the girls seem to like the smell of it on him and lick him after :shock:
I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a concrete elephant

Miffy

Post by Miffy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:53 pm

Well, basically putting Baytril in the water is a very bad idea. You have absolutely no control over how much your rattie takes in and there's a possibility it doesn't do anything at all that way. Also, Baytril is an antibiotic and will only be helpful if you give it for like 10 days straight and not add it to the water every now and then. Third, this way your other rattie will get Baytril in his body too and this could cause resistance to it, so whenever he does need it, it will not work at all.

I would call your vet again and find out which dose you have to use according to the bodyweight of your rat, mix it with a little bit of something nice like chocolatepudding and give it like that.

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:48 pm

Miffy wrote:Well, basically putting Baytril in the water is a very bad idea. You have absolutely no control over how much your rattie takes in and there's a possibility it doesn't do anything at all that way. Also, Baytril is an antibiotic and will only be helpful if you give it for like 10 days straight and not add it to the water every now and then. Third, this way your other rattie will get Baytril in his body too and this could cause resistance to it, so whenever he does need it, it will not work at all.

I would call your vet again and find out which dose you have to use according to the bodyweight of your rat, mix it with a little bit of something nice like chocolatepudding and give it like that.
plus 1.

unfortunately, knowledgable vets can be hard to come by when it comes to ratties. the vets is the best place to get the info from but if you can't get hold of them, fancy rats has a sticky somewhere about baytril dosages. also, if your boys are younger than 3 months, baytril can adversely effect their bone growth but if it's all you have then it's better than nothing

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:03 am

glad your little guys are doing ok!!

@ice_pick_abortions - love your sig :D singing buffy FTW!!

* Queen of Tangents*

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:22 pm

ScarletLady wrote: @ice_pick_abortions - love your sig :D singing buffy FTW!!
i heart anya :P

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”