more advice from teachers

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
my_purple_skys

more advice from teachers

Post by my_purple_skys » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:46 pm

after a look of consideration and research im thinking of doing an Employment based initial teacher training course. Iv applied for a few application packs and am going to an open day soon but really wanted to know what to expect.
i want to teach design technology at secondary level.
so has anyone done this course. what did you need in order to apply and did you find it difficult to get onto.

other than the EBITT course has anyone done anything else to get into teaching (apart from a PGCE??)

any advice/info much appreciated

:)

Dystopatica

Re: more advice from teachers

Post by Dystopatica » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:40 pm

Routes into teaching are quite limited these days sadly, and all methods are incredibly competitive. I know the GTP schemes have a ridiculous amount of applicants compared to available places and even a lot of PGCE courses are hugely oversubscribed.

As far as the RTP goes, you need to be already employed or have the backing of a school before you can apply for the course. This means either being a teaching assistant or learning support. A lot of teaching routes will require you to have quite a considerable amount of voluntary or lower level classroom experience before they will even consider you.

To be honest you might be better off looking at a PGCE. They are hard work, but if you already have a degree they are your best chance at becoming a qualified teacher.
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

KelsieStars

Post by KelsieStars » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:43 pm

I did the GTP route into Secondary School Music and Music Tech.

Although I am no longer a secondary school teacher (health reasons forced me to leave, then I realised I just didn't miss it as my job, I'm now much happier teaching music to pre-schoolers...anyway....) I believe that the GTP is a fabulous route into teaching.

My friend did her PGCE to get into Seconday Music and we had many long chats about our training!! I felt that I benefited from more classroom time than she got (as I worked in my school for 4 days a week, then was "released" to the partner university every Friday), and I also got to know my pupils/school etc. I felt the benefit of this was actually getting past the whole "you're a student teacher - we're going to mess about" mentality of the kids and they actually saw me as a staff member. But then the PGCE route has many benefits too - my friend got to see 3 or 4 different schools rather than my 1 school (plus 2 weeks in a transfer school).

I was also at my training school with a chap doing the design tech subjects. He raved about the GTP as it allowed him to start projects with his classes and see them through to completion, something a PGCE placement may not have allowed him to do.

I was lucky though - I was already working at my training school as a cover supervisor when I applied for the GTP training and I knew that I had the full backing of the school when I applied. My school was also becomming a training school so actively encouraged the GTP training. A lot of schools shy away from the GTP as it involves a lot of paperwork for them!

My advise would be to spend some time (preferably a year) working in a school before/while applying. I felt that my year as a cover supervisor prepared me for the classroom, and hell, if I could survive being a cover supervisor then I could take on anything!! ;) Look for classroom assistant roles, contact schools to do volunteer jobs - at least this way you're on the schools radar when it comes to applying for work-based training. If you look for GTP places at Uni, then they usually have lists of partner schools too, so scour those for jobs/placements.

I whole-heartedly recommend the GTP, but get looking now as most places want applications by Christmas at the latest.

I've probably missed some info out, but I am currently moving house and am stressing slightly - so if you have any questions about the GTP, then please do ask/pm me.

Good luck with it!!

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:07 pm

I also did a GTP- it is very similar to the course you described.

to do a work based course you need a lot of self motivation and drive- oyu will rarely go to university and if you don't get on at your training school- you have to grin and bear it to get through. It is often felt that you should take on classes very early and often on a high timetable quickly.

I was taking full lessons withing two weeks and on 12 lessons a week by October half term-that rose to 16 a week- which is about 90% of a 90% timetable.

You will be expected to plan lessons and schemes of work with very little input from other teachers or the Uni and you will have to be a strong person to get through.

Compiling the evidence is hard- PGCE cover a lot of standards in essays- but generally you will show it through practical examples.

It is a lot of hard work- BUT you will be way more prepared for your first job than a PGCE student as you will have so much more teaching experience than them. you will not feel so lost and worried in that crucial first term.

I had a few trying times doing my GTP- I had a shite mentor but got through it :)

I love my job, been teaching 4 years now, English at secondary- it was worth every moment of stress! I now mentor student teachers :)

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”