Engagement / Wedding Thread

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Miss Cydonia

Re: Engagement / Wedding Thread

Post by Miss Cydonia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 pm

eeep exactly one month till my wedding. Got my final dress fitting in a week, florist is sorted, my veil has been posted-just a couple of hen parties to attend now :i2:

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Lorny - our wedding is costing about £200 all in all, it can be done cheaply :)

Our rings came today...I can't stop trying mine on :D
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:35 pm

ScarletLady wrote:Lorny - our wedding is costing about £200 all in all, it can be done cheaply :)
Wow! I don't think thats possible here, but I think we're having registry office + party after :D

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:39 pm

£200??????????? :o I cant even imagine how thats possible either-you've done really well!!!! That amount just about pays for my balloons or one bridesmaid dress. lol

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:42 pm

ScarletLady wrote:Lorny - our wedding is costing about £200 all in all, it can be done cheaply :)

Our rings came today...I can't stop trying mine on :D
It won't fit you soon....chances are you'll have to get it down sized once your had the baby too. I had to stop wearing mine from about 6 months. Sorry.....but I'd hate you to get it stuck.

My wedding cost about the same.
The most expensive thing was the marriage license itself of about £100 (at the time) my flowers were £70, my mum bought my dress, I bought the dress for the bridesmaid cost about £50, I made all the button holes...bought the flowers the day before & some florists tape. We didn't have a reception...just piled into the pub over the road, got a taxi to the registry etc.....it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off what we wanted, but once U came back down to earth I realise the money doesn't matter, who you marry matters (sorry ladies)
Saying that though....when I eventually win the lottery I'm going to hire a massive castle in Scotland & renew our vows medieval style...complete with knights, mead etc :D I'd buy all the outfits for the guests so that we were all in period dress...I can see it now
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:47 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:the money doesn't matter, who you marry matters
I totally agree. But the castle idea does sound awesome ;)

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:56 pm

mandatory that the HeF ladies all come too :D (must be dreadlocked :P)
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:59 pm

I haven't really looked into it though to be honest. I just have Mother going "Oh it's no point getting married, it costs thousands", and then my best friend taking me here there and everywhere looking at ideas.

I know the marriage itself matters, and not the rest of it, but it seems like these days you have to have a fair amount of money spent to make the ceremony and celebrations decent enough for everyone to enjoy. The whole thing is so overwhelming, God only knows how you've managed, ScarletLady!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Originally we were gonna hire suits for the blokes, I & the bridesmaid were gonna have a dress from the dark angel, mine was gonna be this one: http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/catalogue ... ic=1&p=193 but at the time they did a "special" one is green, it was GORGEOUS & I wanted an old rolls (but when I enquired they don't use it in the winter - we got married in January, as the grit on the roads corrodes the engine) & we were gonna have a sit down dinner & evening party at a local hotel. we booked our wedding at the registry office in the September.....& I found out I was having Seth in the October. So.........our priorities changed.

The only thing (well 3 things) that were poo about the day was, my taxi was late..I rang them & screamed that I was getting married, the registry office feels a bit like a shotgun wedding & the best mans Mrs dumped him about an hour after we got married.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:35 am

I've had a think actually and it may be slightly more than that...but still cheap

£60 for giving notice/certificates
£40 for registrar/registry office
£90 for our rings
£35 for my dress
£25 for my hair, doing my own makeup etc.

Reception is at Dan's Mum's, she's making the cake and buying buttonholes/flowers, and my parents are paying for the catering (which is only about £100). We have free DJs, free marquee and BBQ - gotta love people and favours!
All Dan needs to get is a shirt as he has a really nice suit already...

So yeah - CHEAP!

Oh and Sarah, I think I should be ok with the ring, there's room in it but it won't fall off so I should be able to grow a bit. I hope anyway :?

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:40 am

I have 2 wedding rings - one is slightly bigger than the other. I was 5 months pg when we got married & after I'd had Seth it was too big, so got another one :D (don't actually wear it though - only on the odd occasion when go out)

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:15 am

I don't think I'll be lucky enough to get help paying for anything. My Father has short arms and long pockets, Mother has no money, her partner drinks his, and Matthew's parents haven't mentioned anything but they're traditional and probably expect my parents to pay anyway, regardless of their huge salary.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:17 pm

This is though Lorny, the only things we've had help with are extra bonus bits...the actual legal minimum and my dress etc have been paid for by us...we're just happy to be married. What we're doing is telling everyone to donate a bit towards the wedding instead of buying us presents - we've lived together for 3 years so don't really need dinner services and random kitchen utensils :roll:

Our original plan was to tell everyone we were going out for dinner afterwards and we would expect everyone attending to put in for the bill - there are ways round anything - all you NEED is the legal side of things and two witnesses - everything else is just frilly bits that are nice but once the day's over they're not necessary.

I'd love to have more money to have a bigger day but we want to BE married...not GET married...if that makes sense :)

You can always do a small ceremony and then have a bigger renewal of vows in a few years when you have the money - that's what we're doing :)

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:27 pm

well said Liz.

My elder brother actually got married in gretna green at night....apparenlty it was lovley. They had a piper follow them round the gardens, or whatever they're called. they had 2 witnesses & that was it.
Last edited by MrsEss on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

fangbanger

Post by fangbanger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:06 pm

My wedding was about £4'500 and we didn't get any help financially.

My wedding dress was the biggest expense.

We diy'ed, Ebay'ed and got friends and family to help do stuff; I thought my wedding was cheap until I read £200!! LOL

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:51 pm

:D

We've just booked our wedding *dances about*

* Queen of Tangents*

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Wicked. :D How long you got to wait now?

I know it's all frilly stuff, there's just always so many expectations that you think you need to meet. I'm thinking I might just buy a good dress and elope with the maid of honor and the best man. Then have a good photographer to take pictures of us on the day and then that be it. Then it's all what I want, and not trying to make other people happy.
DreadstarMonstar wrote:well said Liz.

My elder brother actually got married in gretna green at night....apparenlty it was lovley. They had a piper follow them round the gardens, or whatever they're called. they had 2 witnesses & that was it.
We have looked into Gretna, and it looks really nice. The initial thought was that we'd go there with everyone attending, but then that's all a bit much. The grounds are gorgeous there, but it's still about £400 for the grounds and then the minister!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:33 pm

@Lorny - DO IT!!! F*ck everyone else - it's your day....bugger the expectations

Our date is the 29th September...which also happens to be my birthday :D

* Queen of Tangents*

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:16 pm

The more I think about it the more I want to do it! Matthew wants me to get a Maggie Sottero, but as beautiful (and expensive!) as they are, I don't think white wedding is me! There aren't any designs I like in silver though.

sashyy

Post by sashyy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:42 pm

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... P=AFC-AWIN

Just found this!

Thought it might help some of you girls!

silentstorm

Post by silentstorm » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:57 pm

7weeks til my wedding,

we thought it'd be cheap as chips because we've been planning our hol to America all year and when it was all paid for we just thought 'oh...while we're in Vegas...'!!!
The wedding itself is only £200 extra.
I got a dress for £190
Rings £500
Suit- he has one!
Reception party when we get back... £1500?
Making my own cake but still £70ish for ingredients

We were really surprised that his mum and dad are giving us £500 and also my mum and dad said they will match this too, although I feel really bad as his parents are "comfortable" where as money has always been tight with my side and theres a big question mark over my dad's job at the moment too but they insist on helping which i know they wouldnt have any other way.

ContortedAngel

Post by ContortedAngel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm trying to decide on a dress at the minute. I'm thinking Maggie Sottero Lavina or Lavina Royale but I don't know which! Anyone else seen these dresses?
I'm so fussy, don't know how I'll ever find a dress, or make my mind up!

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:11 pm

ContortedAngel wrote:I'm trying to decide on a dress at the minute. I'm thinking Maggie Sottero Lavina or Lavina Royale but I don't know which! Anyone else seen these dresses?
I'm so fussy, don't know how I'll ever find a dress, or make my mind up!

oooo personally i prefer Lavina Royale. But looking at pics is no substitute fpr trying the real thing on :)

ContortedAngel

Post by ContortedAngel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Yeah, thats very true. I never liked the big poofy meringue skirts so I don't know why I like the Lavina Royale! I want to find a stockist near me but my problem is they are both on ebay >.<

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:19 pm

If you find a Maggie dress you like check out Milly's Bridal on ebay - they make copies for about £200 odd and I've only heard good things about them - I was going to go for a red Amara Royale before I got pregnant - no room for a bump in those sorts of dresses

* Queen of Tangents*

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”