Engagement / Wedding Thread

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Rhaeniel

Re: Engagement / Wedding Thread

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:34 am

Yeah, we did the money thing too - we've been living together for over three years now (over two years at the time of the wedding), so there was no point in getting house stuff for us either. We just asked people to give cheques instead.. which worked out pretty well!

What with the money from guests, cheap pub venue for the reception, money from parents towards the cost of the wedding, home-made dress, not having to pay a hairdresser to do my 'do, my mum doing our makeup, cut-price flowers cos my friend's aunt did them for us at cost, and an ASDA 'special occasion' cake decorated by my father in law (it was a REALLY nice cake!) we actually ended up in pocket after our wedding.. even including the cost of the honeymoon!
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:36 am

blimey :shock:
we're spending quite a bit on our rings because that's the thing that's going to last...we're getting them made and engraved...only me and Dan know what it'll say and it's staying that way :oops:
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:55 am

ScarletLady wrote:my OH has given me a budget of a thousand :oops:

he said last night he wants me to feel as beautiful as he thinks I am so we'll have a honeymoon in a tent if it means i can have the dress I want :D

he's so sweet *melts into a lovesick puddle*
Awww :D That's just like what Paul would do :oops:

Have you decided on what dress your having?

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:59 am

Here are links (have posted pic in this thread already but I found a back one as well)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e254/ ... royale.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e254/partyp/back.jpg

* Queen of Tangents*

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Oh yum! That is going to look gorgeus on you!

Mum's already said a very close friend of the family, Jean, is to be making my dress when it comes around :) :lol:

Paul's been giving the impressions he really does what to ask "the question"; but said he would have done it on Christmas Day in the morning, as we aren't living together and he has no car, I'll have to wait another year :lol: :oops:

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:11 pm

you never know :D

Dan hinted a few months before he wanted to propose on our anniversary but then said no more about it. We were both completely skint or so I though so I wasn't even expecting a present on our anniversary in august but he completely surprised and proposed after he cooked me dinner...

he started by saying "i'm sorry but i've been kind of bullsh*****g you for the last two weeks..."

i nearly had a heart attack :shock:

* Queen of Tangents*

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:17 pm

:lol: Paul cannot lie around me, I read him like a book. :P He said he wouldn't do it on a conventional "must ask" day; so he wants to ask on Christmas :lol: !

I know he's really traditional about it; he wants to ask my Dad for his permission [when he knows outright Dad will allow him :P], Paul love my family to bits which is what makes it mean so much for the pair of us.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:22 pm

dan wanted to do that but we live quite far from my parents and the chance didn't really come up

I knew something was up but when I asked he just said he was trying to organise a nice surprise for our anniversary...i still didn't twig :D

he was so sweet

* Queen of Tangents*

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:28 pm

I still live with mine, and I don't want to move more than 30 minutes from them - I cling to the apron strings :lol:

Paul's very close to them; has talked alot with my Mum about his home life so they've bonded :D

We went to Nottingham a week after our anniversary - I was poorly for the lot of it! Stupid being a woman :lol: We went to Northampton to weekend of our anniversary. It's was hilarious. I think it helped the pair of us.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:30 pm

I love living in London but hate living so far from my folks - well it's not THAT far but it would take over a couple of hours door to door. I'm really close to my mum, we talk all the time - she's coming up for a weekend to go dress shopping in the new year :D

* Queen of Tangents*

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:33 pm

Yayy :D Me and My Dad are very closer; but I am so alike with my Mum. :lol: We do have spats every now and again - but then that's because I'm still living at home.

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:41 pm

ScarletLady wrote:blimey :shock:
we're spending quite a bit on our rings because that's the thing that's going to last...we're getting them made and engraved...only me and Dan know what it'll say and it's staying that way :oops:
that's got me feeling all nosey now! :lol:

I got a reasonably expensive ring (is £400 expensive for an 18ct gold ring with 3 small diamonds?) but my hubby wanted something sturdy that'll last, so he just got a plain chunky 9ct gold ring.
Mine's already dented, but I can't wear any lower than 14ct due to the higher nickel content in 9ct gold :(
We didn't see the point in getting an engagement ring AND a wedding ring, especially since my ring is so pretty on its own, it'd look silly with another ring next to it. Plus, it just seems superfluous to me.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:00 pm

the dress is £975
:shock:

oh god i want it

* Queen of Tangents*

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:31 pm

Oooh, that red dress is under a grand?? That's a good price for a dress like that!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:00 pm

i know...i was worried it was going to be extortionate :D

* Queen of Tangents*

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:48 pm

im pretty sure my parents are gonna pay (or help pay) for my dress and me mam said my dress budget should be £1500 woohoo!!! Plus Ricky is gonna get his dad to pay for the honeymoon to Universal Studios-wouldnt be my first choice but i thought id better let him have a say in the plans somewhere lol.

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:48 pm

My boyfriend and I have been together over three and a half years now and have spoken about getting engaged. I want to now but the tramp keeps giving all these excuses about wanting it to be 'the right time'. Well if he wants to do it isn't it the right time anyway? Pah, I don't expect it to happen any time soon. Probably will only be if I end up getting pregnant unexpectedly and he decides he doesn't want a bastart child. :lol:
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:50 pm

we saved our bums off for the wedding... and then decided to go to japan for the honeymoon. so all of our money has been poured into the trip of a lifetime, instead of one day. we also asked for donations to replace wedding gifts, as well as birthday and xmas presents. plus even more saving and scrimping, so we're pretty much sorted now, for the trip and for a nice relaxed, romantic day.

i sort of don't feel like a proper bride because the arrangements have been quite easy and because the ceremony is so small i haven't had much to stress about (well, some things i'm completely stressed about). i'm starting to worry that things have been so smooth so far... something terrible will happen when it's too late to fix it :?
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:58 pm

as soon as christmas is out of the way we're going to be doing some equally bum-based saving :D
we're begging stealing borrowing everything we can :D
we're having quite a relaxed formal day with a BBQ instead of a sit down meal so it'll be relaxed...but we're getting a lovely honemyoon suite at a posh hotel...a little indulgence...but it's a present to ourselves as we want the day to be really personal :)

* Queen of Tangents*

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:40 pm

ScarletLady wrote:blimey :shock:
We had our rings made as well. There are ways to do it affordably if you give yourself enough time to shop around! You might find you do better than you thought!

Our rings came to about 600 for the two. We also got lucky and saved money because we really aren't diamond folks. We had our birthstones used instead, and my stones we even synthetic since real emeralds are a soft stone.

We had them engraved in elvish since we are Tolkien geeks with the translation in the photo here(although mine doesn't have that engraving on the inside):

I get so excited talking about weddings! I'm so happy for you all!!!!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:45 pm

oooh those rings are beautiful - i may check out that site - the one i was looking at quoted me about £900 for the pair...white gold with rubies

* Queen of Tangents*

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:57 am

That ring is gorgeous ^_^
I love Elvish..
My hubby has a ring engraved in Elvish, but he did it himself :D
Can't remember what it says.. it wasn't for the wedding tho, he did it ages ago, before he even met me.. but it's so pretty :)

Vixie

Post by Vixie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:45 pm

Lorny wrote:My boyfriend and I have been together over three and a half years now and have spoken about getting engaged. I want to now but the tramp keeps giving all these excuses about wanting it to be 'the right time'. Well if he wants to do it isn't it the right time anyway? Pah, I don't expect it to happen any time soon. Probably will only be if I end up getting pregnant unexpectedly and he decides he doesn't want a bastart child. :lol:
:lol: Maybe hes trying to throw you off.
Mine did the same thing. "Not until you're 18 and matured!"
I was still 17 when he proposed. He had it planned all along, that liar >_>.
Notorious thread killer.

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:31 pm

Oooh! just found a gem! i want miniature Jack Daniels bottles on each table as little favors/center pieces and i've found a site that will send me 6 bottles for £8! :mrgreen: brilliant!

i've also decided that i'm making my own bouquet and decorating the reception myself.
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:46 pm

absolutebrutal wrote:Oooh! just found a gem! i want miniature Jack Daniels bottles on each table as little favors/center pieces and i've found a site that will send me 6 bottles for £8! :mrgreen: brilliant!

i've also decided that i'm making my own bouquet and decorating the reception myself.
:lol: SOLD! That would be Paul's plan of action with the JD bottles!

I'd probably end up getting a friend of the family to make my dress, or get my Mum to knit it. I'd make my jewellery aside the wedding rings, probably have dreads - curly ones all auburn. And as I'm an obsessive knitting geek I would have to have a black and red wedding garter - KNITTED :lol:!!!!

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”