Engagement / Wedding Thread

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
ScarletLady

Re: Engagement / Wedding Thread

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:41 pm

oh my gosh that is gorgeous!!
i'm going shopping in the new year for mine - i'm wearing something tight and red and going for the 50s pin up look with my makeup :D

it'll be august when we get married so hopefully it'll be nice!
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:45 pm

sounds gorgeous hun! PHOTOS on the day! ;)
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

dead_vamp

Post by dead_vamp » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:51 pm

Nikki that dress will look awesome on you.
Scarlett that sounds amazing

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:53 pm

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!
*dances around squeeing*

* Queen of Tangents*

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:07 pm

Ricky and i got engaged in October and Ive already found my dream dress and venue!! It'll be bout 2 years till we get married but I want to start buying now to spread the cost. Its gonna be a pretty "normal" do with a normal reception and my extended family are all excited cos Im the first grandchild to be married. There's a few things Im ok with doing a bit on the cheap such as the cake, flowers, I dont want cars or bloody hideous chair covers. but I wont scrimp on the dress or venue and the dress i want is quite expensive I think. Id like to know what everyone thinks is a sensible price limit for a dress for a normal, not rich, 20 odd year old??

here's the one I really want...

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

Freakonaleash

Post by Freakonaleash » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:29 pm

those dresses are beautiful!! god im feeling envious :lol:
i cant see my OH proposing anytime soon,he has too many single friends who slag off engagements etc..

Vixie

Post by Vixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:25 pm

Got engaged March 30, 2008. Getting married May 22, 2010.
Its KILLING me to not run to the wedding store and go dress shopping!
I'm so glad its almost 2009 so I can do that soon.
Notorious thread killer.

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:40 pm

the trouble with getting engaged is it turns many women into wedding-monsters. or bridezilla's. when we first started planning our wedding i went freakin' nuts! it suddenly became less about being his wife and more about being a bride for the day :roll: we ended up having a huge row and breaking up for a week, only for me to realize i was being a twit and apologize. i admit i do like making the plans, and getting the dress yesterday was lovely, my husband-to-be came with me and gave me his opinion when i tired it on etc... now we've just decided to keep it all low-key, only about 20 are invited and we make the (very few) plans together. i still get all stressed out about things but it's falling into place.

less then two months to go now :mrgreen:
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:06 am

i think we've got about 50 guests - mostly my family cos it's quite big and we're all really close. the wedding will be on friday, we're having a BBQ reception at the local social club (cheap :D ) then the saturday night afterwards one of dan's friends it sorting a club night for us at a club he runs nights from. we know loads of DJs and stuff so won't have to pay for all that stuff. we're not going on honeymoon til september/october cos it'll be cheaper and we want a caribbean cruise :oops:

the actual day will be quite cheap so we're blowing a fair bit on getting our rings made and we're staying in a posh hotel for a couple of nights over the wedding weekend...

i'm SO excited but when i actually sit and think about it, it's the thought of being married to Dan that gets me excited not the actual day altho obviously i am looking forward to it...

that's how i know i'm doing the right thing :D

sorry i'm so soppy *misses Dan*

* Queen of Tangents*

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:40 am

*wants this dress*

* Queen of Tangents*

Vixie

Post by Vixie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:31 am

That dress is really, really amazing.

I live in Florida so we're doing a beach wedding. My mom had these two cottages on the beach rented out and thats what we're doing, same cottages, but her wedding was right behind the cottages and ours is going to be further down the sand, actually near the water.

I really want a big poofy corset princess dress but he'd hate it, haha. I want like..a tuxedo style corset (can't explain it, just a crazy idea in my head) with buttons down the back, a sash, and big poofyness on the bottom. I'll probably just end up going simple in the end.
Notorious thread killer.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:35 am

a beach wedding sounds lovely :)

there's no way i could ever afford a dress like that...it's going to be hard to find a red dress but i've always got the option of getting a really nice prom dress or bridesmaid dress and it would be cheaper :)

we're getting engravings on the inside of our rings and a tiny ruby set on the inside of each as well...so it's hidden and only we know it's there :oops:

red is kind of like our colour (as you can probably tell from my name :roll: )

* Queen of Tangents*

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:10 pm

Miss Cydonia wrote:Ricky and i got engaged in October and Ive already found my dream dress and venue!! It'll be bout 2 years till we get married but I want to start buying now to spread the cost. Its gonna be a pretty "normal" do with a normal reception and my extended family are all excited cos Im the first grandchild to be married. There's a few things Im ok with doing a bit on the cheap such as the cake, flowers, I dont want cars or bloody hideous chair covers. but I wont scrimp on the dress or venue and the dress i want is quite expensive I think. Id like to know what everyone thinks is a sensible price limit for a dress for a normal, not rich, 20 odd year old??

here's the one I really want...

God, that dress is gorgeous! I love Maggie Sottero's designs! My dress was a MS too :)

When it comes to the price, I 'm not quite sure. I was prepared to spend about 800 on mine if i had to, only because i loved it so much. However, my father hunted like mad for a month and found a bride on ebay selling hers for 299! It was exactly my size, didn't need a single alteration, even a hem. So they are ways to try and find an expensive gown for less if you give yourself time enough to look.

I don't know if I can say what the ceiling price on the dress should be. however, it does make me nauseous to watch these wedding shows where the bride claims to have spent 4000-7000 on a dress! :i6: I mean, to me that is just insane!

You have to keep in mind that no matter HOW beautiful it is, you are going to wear it ONCE for a few hours, and thats it. After carefully considering that, make your budget.

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:06 pm

i think a good guideline is your monthly wage. i wouldn't buy a dress that cost much more than that i don't think.

there's some oxfam shops around the UK that are dedicated to bridal wear. be worth checking out cos you never know and you'd be doing your bit for charidee!
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:30 pm

ScarletLady wrote:a beach wedding sounds lovely :)

there's no way i could ever afford a dress like that...it's going to be hard to find a red dress but i've always got the option of getting a really nice prom dress or bridesmaid dress and it would be cheaper :)

we're getting engravings on the inside of our rings and a tiny ruby set on the inside of each as well...so it's hidden and only we know it's there :oops:

red is kind of like our colour (as you can probably tell from my name :roll: )

that red dress is absolutely freakin' beautiful! ahhh if only, eh?

also, we're getting the rings engraved too. but it'll be on the honey moon, and probably in japanese or something. the ruby idea is so sweet!

Cacophany_cat

Post by Cacophany_cat » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:03 am

I have been a lucky s.o.b and have had two wedding dresses, one for the actual wedding which was in July and one for today for out prayer and dedication after our civil marriage. I shall post a few pics of the dresses a.s.a.p. Right now Im eating nutella on toast and thinking "I really should be showering and getting ready by now!"

Those dresses are beautiful ladies, a tip if you are buying from a bridal boutique, shop around in the Jan/Feb months after the winter wedding season and before the summer wedding season, you can usually pick up a bargain, such as the dress Im wearing today was marked up at £700 and I got it for £300, still more than I wanted to spend but w00p for discounts!
Previously AeriesTheElfGirl (which was rarely used)

Dark eggy

Post by Dark eggy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:06 am

oooh!! :D
everyones ideas are so cute.
also, i was looking on that angelic weapons site. oooh!!

oh yea, i've been engaged from early this year, and we both want something a little different. :D

(yes, i know, i dont come on here much.. :i10: )
formerly Raven

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:28 am

the more i look at that dress the more i realise i REALLY want it :(

it's maggie sottero too...there's a stockist in my home town...oh why oh why can't i find a price!!!

if i'm going on monthly wage then i actually have quite a bit to play with...i'm just not sure if i can justify spening that much on a dress :shock:

* Queen of Tangents*

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:55 pm

Oh god...i've been on a mission to find my dress and i've realised i've made a fatal mistake...

i've completely fallen in love with this dress before even trying it on and now every other dress i see looks completely pants in comparison...

what if i can't get it??

i think i'm going to cry :cry:

* Queen of Tangents*

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:09 pm

thats exactly what Ive done-I want the dress I posted above but ive not seen seen it physically yet. You need to bear in mind that if you do find it you may then discover it may not look good on you at all.

I dont know if you know much about Maggie Sottero dresses but designs get discontinued every spring and autumn, so if you want one thats available now Id start looking in the New Year or it might be gone by March.

Also the Sabelle design I want is £1350 in UK (ouch) but Ive found some chinese company selling them on ebay for £167????????!! I assume its a copy-is it worth risking it? Not a lot of money to lose if it turns out to be a really cr*ppy copy? and if its decent Ive saved £1150??!!!

I now know too that I will be wearing a crown. Not the hideous sort of crown you are probably imagining now-I might put pics up of the one I want when ive buy it. My friend decided it looks kinda "twisted fairytale/gothic ice queen" stylee. We'll see...

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:08 am

it will no doubt be a fake.
i know for a fact that maggie sottero does not let any companys that stock MS dresses ship internationally as of 2007.
even licensed internet retailers in the states won't ship to the UK
i found my dress on bestbridalprices for about $1000 but i can't get it unless i get someone in the states to take delivery of it and then send it on to me

it's a lot of money or dress to trust someone with!!

* Queen of Tangents*

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:36 am

I was so lucky my mum's a dressmaker - she used to make bridesmaid's dresses for a bespoke bridal company.

She made my dress from scratch, so it only cost about £100-200 in all for the satin, lining and lace sleeves. Then I could splash out and spend £60 on a decent petticoat from a posh bridal shop :lol:

I think it's crazy to spend more than a few hundred on the dress. I mean, decent fabric costs that much so a few hundred is justified - even up to a thousand is acceptable - but thousands and thousands just because it's designed by some rich, famous designer?? ..just seems a bit insane to me.

My sister's planning to get married sometime in the next year or two, so I've offered her my dress - our mum made it, so it's not like having a second-hand one from a charity shop or wherever (not that that's a bad thing, but some people might be a bit funny about not knwing who's worn their dress before) but it means she won't have to spend out on a dress.. she's not exactly loaded.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:54 am

my OH has given me a budget of a thousand :oops:

he said last night he wants me to feel as beautiful as he thinks I am so we'll have a honeymoon in a tent if it means i can have the dress I want :D

he's so sweet *melts into a lovesick puddle*

* Queen of Tangents*

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:14 am

ScarletLady wrote:my OH has given me a budget of a thousand :oops:

he said last night he wants me to feel as beautiful as he thinks I am so we'll have a honeymoon in a tent if it means i can have the dress I want :D

he's so sweet *melts into a lovesick puddle*

Awww, that's so sweet ^_^
Personally, I chose the nice honeymoon (at a posh hotel in Germany) rather than an expensive dress, but hey! :D Just depends on your own personal priorities :)
A thousand isn't bad - mine was only so cheap because my mum made it.. getting someone else to make it means they'll obviously need to add a chunk to the cost of the fabric just for making the thing - which is totally understandable! but more than about a grand isn't just covering the cost of making it, that's getting into "designer" territory.. like £5000 on a dress. Just cos it's from Berketex and made by some posh designer.. Hello?? What?!
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:17 am

oh i wouldn't go that mad.

we'll still be able to afford a lovely honeymoon anyway - we're saving on so many things like venue hire/reception/disco/food etc cos we know people who can do it for us REALLY cheap.

plus we're signing up to a free honeymoon registry sight which means instead of presents people will basically chip in towards our honeymoon. we've got most housey stuff anyway so it seemed like a logical thing to do

caribbean cruise here we come!!!
:D

* Queen of Tangents*

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”