Does this bother anyone else?

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Pallidity

Re: Does this bother anyone else?

Post by Pallidity » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:15 am

I don't really use those types of terms unless I'm talking to my babies (pets). I have a hard time even using them as endearments to humans because I've had friends use terms such as "hun" in a demeaning way. There aren't too many around here that use it to refer to someone they don't know, but if you get much farther south than where I'm located there's a lot of "sweetie pie" and "honey" dropped. It always makes me feel uncomfortable.

V15U4L 3RR0R

Post by V15U4L 3RR0R » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:37 am

Out and about in real life I tend to say either mate or duck/ducky but I don't think I tend to use hon very often except with the occasional online friends. I think we say it here a lot because we all kind of feel like we're friends here and we're trying to be friendly. I try and be fairly casual most of the time except for serious stuff like going for an interview or something but if I'm buying something then I try and keep it friendly and light. Maybe it is just a regional thing though or just a personal preference. I'm just a dead casual and friendly person so I can't help it.

Only very special people get called á ghraidh though.

MotherMuerta

Post by MotherMuerta » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:54 am

Don't you dare! If you were going around calling everyone bitch, sod, git, 'insert your insults of choice here' then yes, you should. But nobody should ever feel bad for being friendly, especially with all the (read list above) -type people around.
I agree with kaminoke,
if this is the way you speak then don't change just because a few don't like it,
i have always and will always talk like that, hun, babe, sweetie whatever!
i'm 33 and i'm not going to start changing my vocabulary now ;)

LittleMissHated

Post by LittleMissHated » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:31 am

I'm really bad and use them all the time, mostly because I can never remember anyones name!

I use hun, mate (mate a lot actually), dollface, sweetie, sweetheart, love, dove.

Haha, it probably annoys everyone, but it's quite funny irl when I call people those sort of names because behaviourwise I'm a tomboy and to top it off I have a really low pitched voice so it just sounds really gruff when I use terms like that haha.
Known as Mooncradle everywhere else. Confused? You should be. :D

LifeDeathRebirth

Post by LifeDeathRebirth » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:05 am

I see a few people mentioning that "hun" is a southern US thing. I lived in the south for many years and have never once heard someone use this term. Maybe it was just the state I was in.

Anywho, I don't mind "hun" from online strangers, but I don't really like anything else. Well, I don't mind "babe" if I'm good friends with the person. I always thought of "hun" as being sweet. Some people are just sweeties! I'll call some people "sweetie" if they really are. I despise being called "baby" by anyone though. I don't care if it's a relationship, a good friend, or a stranger. I hate this term.
born in the dust and cradled in the dark

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:51 am

i called Wednesday 13 'm'love' once and he was cool with it :mrgreen: i said "i'm getting a drink, d'ya want one m'love?". didn't even bat an eyelid about it.
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:55 am

absolutebrutal wrote:i called Wednesday 13 'm'love' once and he was cool with it :mrgreen: i said "i'm getting a drink, d'ya want one m'love?". didn't even bat an eyelid about it.

:lol: I called him "Darlin'" ;) I called Roger & Steve [ex Trashlight Vision] "hunny" :P They loved it. Always get a Hello of Jason too XD

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:37 am

Oh wow, I'm a huge culprit >.<
I call everyone hun, but that's my best mate's fault - she calls me hunni or even hunnybun sometimes! She just.. does it. *shrug* I guess I kinda picked it up off her.

I also say (and type) "m'dear" a lot, but that's my family's fault - we all call each other 'dear'. My mum once got pulled up on it by a friend who said, "isn't is really patronising to call your sister 'dear'?" ..so my mum kinda paused at that, but really it's just how we all talk. Her sister calls her 'dear' too, so it's hardly a one-way thing.

I must admit tho, I HATE it when men call me 'love' or 'darlin' or, worst of all 'babe'! ARG! I really hate that. Although I try to remember that they don't mean it to be patronising (well, not usually anyway!) so I just try to let it go.

I use 'mate' a lot too "alright mate?" but then that's because I'm from daaan saaaf - me dad's a propah cockney, mate! *rofl*
Ahem!
I sometimes run out of words like that and end up using sweetie O_O but usually only with close mates! God, 'sweetie' is such a lovvie thing to say! ..although, I think I probably picked that up from Absolutely Fabulous "Sweetie, sweetie, darling!" Heheheh.

I dunno, I tend not to have a problem with it, although I've always hated 'baby' or 'babe'. It's just way too cheesy and not just a little bit patronising! Calling someone a baby... well how much more patronising can you get? but I guess I'm over-reacting..

I think if someone doesn't intend it in an insulting or annoying way, then it shouldn't be taken as such. Whether you like it or not, people all have different ways of expressing themselves, and if they're trying to be polite and not trying to annoy you or slag you off, then why take offense? There are far more things in the world to be upset about! :mrgreen:
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:54 am

i use hon all the time - hope i haven't annoyed anyone - but only in texts and emails etc.
i use darlin lots but so does everyone round here...me n dan call each other babe/darling/sweetheart all the time but it's an affectionate thing
i don't like other blokes calling me things like that...it's far too personal.
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Midnight

Post by Midnight » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:56 pm

I use it quite a bit, especially online. I find that written words can be hard to interpret the tone, and the use of words like that help show a friendly tone. When i use it, i only mean it in a nice way, never patronising!

~Azaezl~

Post by ~Azaezl~ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:18 pm

I used to use hun all the time online then stopped and found it really irritating then a few years ago started using it again. I think I tend to use it to get across a friendly persona. In real life however everybody gets called by their real names, well apart from my husband & daughter, my husband gets called allsorts of names, usually filthy ones :lol: and I often call my little girl yoki or kooky.
Kanadeta senritsusae, Mou todokanai yumeno ato
Facebook

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”