First Crochet Dreads: Critique Please

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
AnarchoFett

First Crochet Dreads: Critique Please

Post by AnarchoFett » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:20 am

I've been wanting to make a set of crocheted naturals for awhile now and have been doing a good amount of research into these new techniques. For a long time I've become enamored with the look of Rob Zombie's natural dreads in his psychoholic White Zombie days and I'd like to make a set in that long messy style in my current hair color (Splat Red). I've got some sweet red, soft red, and burgundy coming from IKickShins in a few days and have picked up a couple of metal crochet hooks.

These dreads are done using the hook and loop method and just general stabbing with intermittent palm rolling. Then they are sealed with boiling water and more palm rolling. They are numbered in the order I made them, and I'm happy with were I ended up from my first one. Let me know what you think!

Regards,
Austin

A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having -V

fernicus

Re: First Crochet Dreads: Critique Please

Post by fernicus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:42 pm

ive found that if you gather the stray frizzies between your thumb and pointer finger and stab thorugh the dread from the opposite side to between your pinched fingers to grab the hair and pull back through the dread, you can really clean them up and make then smoother. i found that too many fuzzies that may stick out too far and just catch on other dreads, resulting in them loosening and/or dreading together.

no idea if what i just said makes sense but it's what i did with my second crocheted set and they hold up a lot better than my first ones.

AnarchoFett

Post by AnarchoFett » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:15 am

That totally makes sense, I would like mine to look a bit messier though.

I think I'm getting the hang of this. These are done in Emerald and Lime blends from leftover KK from my last set. I think I have the texture down. I also didn't run my hands over them after boiling water sealing, I just squeezed the water out and palmrolled them to round them out. They are done in order from left to right. The 3rd one is the one I'm happiest with. The last is my try at using "less hair" and I don't see what the fuss over that being better is all about.

NearFantastica

Post by NearFantastica » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:04 pm

I really like the green ones! I've been attempting to make some of these as well, I'm finding it hard lol, my very first one turned out pretty good actually but all of the ones afterward have not been so good. Do you prefer sealing them with boiling water rather than the washing machine?

Have you finished making your set yet? Would love to see them installed!
...I like to pretend that I'm a rockstar while driving o.O

AnarchoFett

Post by AnarchoFett » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks! Yeah they're pretty difficult to get a hang of. I've been using mostly this technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKqqVrFZV0 as well as using the hook to "backcomb" the dread up into itself once I've gone down it in the staggered black sunshine way. I've sealed all mine in boiling water and been very happy with them but I haven't tried the washing machine yet.

The set I'm working on right now is red. I'll make a thread for them once they're done but I won't be able to install until after Christmas since my family is going to visit my grandparents who are very conservative.

Cariad Dreads

Post by Cariad Dreads » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:37 pm

I've never worked with synthetic hair before so can't offer any advice, however the green ones look lovely :)
Human nature's shedding skin, we're all just shedding skin...

Return to “Hair Critique”