First SE synthetic dread

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
LevanaMalum

First SE synthetic dread

Post by LevanaMalum » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:01 pm

I think I could have used more hair and back combed more plus there's a few lumpy spots. But over all I'm pretty happy. :D

poxabomination

Re: First SE synthetic dread

Post by poxabomination » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:36 pm

That looks great! I love that color so much, and its very nice and smooth for a first go. You're right though, you definitely wanna try using a bit more hair, backcombing and getting it to be smoother I find to be easier when you do use a bit more hair, but that might just me be :P

This tutorial is INCREDIBLY helpful in figuring out how much hair to use. Its a simple concept but it makes it so much easier being able to actually see it:
http://angeleyezxtc.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2x49n2

The loop looks nice! Your end looks like it could be sealed a bit better or at least trimmed a bit so it isn't as hairy, but other than that you're on the right track. I hope to see more soon :)
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

LevanaMalum

Post by LevanaMalum » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Thank you very much for your help, I'll be doing more soon. ^^ The color is dark blue and it's made by Modu.

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:20 pm

LevanaMalum wrote:Thank you very much for your help, I'll be doing more soon. ^^ The color is dark blue and it's made by Modu.

No problem! ^-^ Are you planning on installing these? :)
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

LevanaMalum

Post by LevanaMalum » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:24 pm

poxabomination wrote:
LevanaMalum wrote:Thank you very much for your help, I'll be doing more soon. ^^ The color is dark blue and it's made by Modu.

No problem! ^-^ Are you planning on installing these? :)
Actually I'm just making a few extra dreads for when I start my dread wig so that I can hide any bare spots. ^^

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Welcome new dreadmaker!
I love seeing everyone's very first dread:) Yours is MUCH better than mine! Definitely try using more hair, I find it much easier to get a smooth taper on a thicker dread. I still have a heck of a time making non-lumpy skinny dreads and I've made a few hundred at this point.

Keep coming here for advice and make tons of dreads and you'll be dreading like a pro in no time.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

LevanaMalum

Post by LevanaMalum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:34 am

Librarynerd wrote:Welcome new dreadmaker!
I love seeing everyone's very first dread:) Yours is MUCH better than mine! Definitely try using more hair, I find it much easier to get a smooth taper on a thicker dread. I still have a heck of a time making non-lumpy skinny dreads and I've made a few hundred at this point.

Keep coming here for advice and make tons of dreads and you'll be dreading like a pro in no time.
I made 6 more using slightly more hair, back combed more and twisted a little tighter and they're coming out much better. :)

Return to “Hair Critique”