First attempt at synthetic dreads

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
SyntheticVenom

First attempt at synthetic dreads

Post by SyntheticVenom » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Okay, so over the past couple of days I have just started making dreads having absolutely no prior experience whatsoever.

Here's what I've made (they're about 9 inches in length so they're really small);
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 756&type=1

I'm quite happy with them, however I do have a few issues right now;
  • I feel like, especially with the transitionals, I'm struggling with getting the taper on them right. I feel like when I put the second colour in, there's always a bit of a bulge where the second colour is added and the first colour just above that seems to always be too weak; and just gets thinner the more I backcomb it. Any help?
  • I've been using a candle to clean up the ends on them after sealing with boiling water, but I do tend to burn the ends that way. Any suggestions as to how to stop this?
Other than that, I'm quite happy with them, regardless of them being my first ever attempts. I think I'm going to attempt making longer dreads now since these ones are very short. Any other suggestions are of course welcomed and appreciated! :)

kitcupcake

Re: First attempt at synthetic dreads

Post by kitcupcake » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:54 am

I think they look pretty good for a first go! And I dig the color scheme too. My first dreads weren't that nice looking, so goof on you! :D

For the transitionals, use a normal amount for your first color and half that for your second to avoid the lumps and bumps. What method are you using to connect the two, if I may ask?

And to avoid the burnt tips, use a flat iron to seal the ends and just snip 'em off! Or you can invest in a braid sealer if you prefer more blunted ends.

I hope that helps! Keep at it! :D

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:20 pm

I put this in another thread but just cause, I'll put it here too.

(I havent been able to look at the pics but just so you can have another idea to seal the ends.)
The ends it seems many people use different techniques. Personally, I've been using at teapot to seal my dreads and I hold the loop with my hanger and for the hand thats hold the actual dread, I wear leather garden gloves. This way I can get close to the steam with it being only hot and not burning my fingers.

Another suggestion would be to get the jewelry forceps that tighten the grip by clicking together and have acrylic tips at the end. This way you have a tight hold and it's not harsh on the hair and you wont have any difficulty getting close to the end and burning yourself.

SyntheticVenom

Post by SyntheticVenom » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:14 pm

Thankyou both for the different ways of sealing! :) I'll be sure to try them out when I make my second batch of longer dreads.

kitcupcake;
I'm using a method I read on the I Kick Shins tutorials, where you thread a small portion of the second colour through the first colour and then backcomb it. The first time I tried the transitional, I used just slightly less hair than I did for the first colour and I got a terribly large clump in the middle of the dread. The last couple of attempts I've only used a quarter of the amount of hair and I've preferred the result since it's come out more tapered.
However, I am concerned that nomatter how much I backcomb the first colour, as soon as I thread the second colour through and start backcombing, the first colour starts to get a weak patch between the top near the loop and where the second colour is threaded through. :?
I've also noticed with the technique that nomatter how I try, the more I backcomb, the worse the weak patch gets, and there's always a slightly hard patch where the colour's threaded through.
The only other technique I know of is using a felting needle which unfortunately I don't have, but I have no idea if I'm just not doing something right with the technique that I'm using.

kitcupcake

Post by kitcupcake » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:36 am

Hah, I just noticed where I said "goof on you" before. I need to get more sleep. >.<

I tend to do more crocheted than smooth dreads, and I always break up the second color into three or four smaller sections and pull them throughout different places in the top half so I don't end up with that awful trans clump. There's a tutorial on Merry's blog, if she doesn't mind me linking it: http://merrys-dreads.blogspot.com/2011/ ... reads.html I remember reading it and going "OF COURSE! It all makes sense now! Why didn't I ever think of this before?!" It works wonders on crocheted dreads, which are already lumpy as all get-out, but you can see where her smoother dreads have a neat little swirly pattern at the join. I'm sure you can change it to make more or less of a swirl depending on how close you pull the strands through, so it might be fun to experiment a bit and see what you like best!

You've got a good start at dread making, just keep trying new things til you find your groove!

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:37 am

They look great for a first shot! Here's a video for ends! http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/Ends.html

Return to “Hair Critique”