Foam falls

Forbiddance

Foam falls

Post by Forbiddance » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:48 am

Im currently making a pair of foam falls and i've realized..
Im not sure how to tie them into my hair or how exactly they are suppose to look at the top.
=x
help?! x_x

rivetlicker_

Re: Foam falls

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:31 am

Try one of these tutorials.

It's really quite easy.

Forbiddance

Post by Forbiddance » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 am

I've already started them using a different method.
where you fold them at the top and use rexlace to hold it together.
I just need to know how they fit on my hair as falls..

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:43 am

You just tie them over your buns like any other falls :)
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:09 am

D'ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Just what IKS said!

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:11 pm

I've never made a full set of just foam falls, but I would imagine from the accents I've used with crin that it would be pretty tough to achieve FULL coverage with all foam. Sometimes it just doesn't want to play ball. Does anyone have an tips for coverage with these things?

I have been toying with the idea of a full set off and on over the years, but never attempted it due to my imagined hassle.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:24 pm

I always at least throw in some crin because it hangs down in between the bits of foam that stick up. I'd imagine that to get full coverage, you'd need to cut the foam in really thin strips so that it hangs down more easily.. and you'd need to layer the way they're mounted, like make several strips of lace with foam on them and then tie them all together.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:42 pm

This was my first foam falls client. Her buns were average, but we got the coverage. I layered them like I do with dread falls.

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:06 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:This was my first foam falls client. Her buns were average, but we got the coverage. I layered them like I do with dread falls.

That coverage looks great. :) how much foam did that take to achieve?

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:33 am

I believe I used 4 sheets of 12x18" per fall. (Plus a lot of rexlace lol).

cyberwench

Post by cyberwench » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:27 pm

I make my foam falls in 4 pieces now, as I found to get enough foam for decent coverage made the falls so bulky I could hardly tie them round my buns when I did them as two falls.

I now just mount all the foam and stuff onto 4 strips of elastic, I keep the foam on two of the falls pretty much all the same length, and then tie those on my buns as normal. The other two falls have the foam more layered on them, and these go on top of the first ones. This way you get good coverage without having to try and cram everything on one length of elastic. Also, 4 falls are a lot more versatile than 2, as you can use them as accents with other falls etc.

Forbiddance

Post by Forbiddance » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:06 am

oh! thats the kinda answer i was looking for!! lol. Because i was having that trouble tying the falls to my buns!
How many "sections" (i guess thats the right word) do you have per elastic strip?
Im going to take pictures tonight to try showing what im doing.. so maybe it will be easier to help me :)

cyberwench

Post by cyberwench » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:28 am

I can't remember off the top off my head, but I think it was something like 7 sections. I think each section was something like 4 or 5 strips thick, I punched holes in the top and tied them to the elastic with rexlace. To save space, I tied some sections to the top of the elastic, and the others to the bottom, if that makes sense? That's how I know I used an odd number of sections, because if the top of the elastic has 4 sections and the bottom has 3 sections the fall has a natural curve to it, so it's easier to tie on.

I have got some photos but they don't really show how I've attached them, sorry! It's been a while since I've made foam falls so I can't remember off the top of my head, and as my falls are all bagged up at the back of my wardrobe I don't really want to get them out to check right now!

and just the top sections on their own...

BeautifullyChaotic

Post by BeautifullyChaotic » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:26 am

Foam falls, like plastic lacing falls, IMHO are best mounted on braided strands of hair. Instead of punching holes and using rexlace to tie directly on to the mounting, take hair, braid it on to the mounting and then tie the foam pieces to the braid.

What you get is foam falls that you can create a TON of density without bunching at the top. Because foam is pretty light, it's also easier to build it up. The braids allow for 2 things: the foam to move naturally instead of stiffly, and for the foam to be strategically pinned onto the bun by pinning down the braids they're mounted to. Essentially, you get great coverage by mounting on braids.

I'll always be an advocate of treating hairfalls as though they are extensions a mounting them as such. It helps make the falls look and behave as though they're extensions ,
Teri

The Business Blog for the Young and Crafty
More Than Lemonade - http://morethanlemonade.com

Cool Hair for Cool People Since 2000
Beautifully Chaotic Designs - http://beautifullychaotic.net

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:29 pm

That is an awesome idea! I'm pretty sure I understand the concept, but a tutorial would make me luv you forever :)

cyberwench

Post by cyberwench » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:54 pm

I've never thought of that method for doing foam falls but I'll have to try it! I can see how it would be more time consuming but your falls do look and fall really naturally - well, as naturally as foam falls can, anyway!

Return to “Cyberlox, Foam, Tubing & ?!@#!”