Question

BNG_Mike

Question

Post by BNG_Mike » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:00 pm

This is probably a really newbie question but what is cyberlox and tubing? Can someone send a picture of these two things? Thanks for everyone's help.

Mike

CherryLex

Re: Question

Post by CherryLex » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:11 pm

Cyberlox/Crin is a type of ribbon, seen here:

Those are pics of it in the bag.

Tubing is really any kind of plastic tubing you can get your hands on from craft store supplies to automotive products. It's usually hollow in varies in diameter, here's an example:
http://www.jadeddreads.com/catalog/prod ... ucts_id=81
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

BNG_Mike

Post by BNG_Mike » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Thank you thank you very much for your pics. Had a client ask and I did not know what they were. Still need more education on the craft. Once again, thank you.

Mike

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:36 pm

Crin/cyberlox are really pretty and can make an outfit!

Tubing is heaps of fun!
My favourite to work with are scoubies, you know, to make keychains with? You can find it at craft, department and variety stores varying in colours, lengths and brands. A notable brand is Scoubidou but there's also Moose, S'ghetti and Loopie Cord (available from Cypherlox and IKickShins.)

Then there's smooth tubing like shown in the other post.
The difference is that scoubies are stretchier with more of a vinyl finish while smooth tubing is more like jelly in a matte finish. There's also the flat version called softglass lacing.
Pictures stolen from http://ikickshins.net/plastics.htm

PVC tubing. Usually available from hardware stores, aquarium suppliers etc. Comes in many diametres.

Silicone tubing. You can get it from any wholesalers/retailers of electrical components. Comes in many diametres. PVC and silicone tubing may look similar, but silicone tubing is very expensive at aroubd $1.40AUD per metre and you can only buy it by 100m. I got some offcuts from my old job (it's used to cover cabling in multicore snake tails in audio, well, that's what they did with it.) My boss was nice enough to let me take some home. I really wanted the blue one, but there wasn't any under 1m.

Corrugated tubing (split loom) is another form. It is generally used to protect and loom cabling such as tv cords, power cords etc into one tube to protect or keep neat. It makes for great hair accessories. Comes in many diametres and colours. Available from Cypherlox and some other hair supply sellers, I think. It's also available at hardware and electrical component stores.

Heatshrink. Fun stuff! I shrank a lot of it, and got burnt by my Maikita heat gun. Those things get bloody hot! Comes in many colours. As before, you can find it at any wholesalers/retailers of electrical components. Starts at 1mm, goes up to about 60mm I think. We had a problem finding really wide heatshrink to put over burndy connector headers.

Plastic coated (insulated) wiring. Same as above. Comes in many colours, but don't wear it in an electrical storm!

The most important plastic of all time!
REXLACE! Flat lacing that comes in all the colours under the sun. Available from Cypherlox and IKickShins as well as craft stores. But if you're outside the US, the best way to buy is online, but it costs a lot to ship. Usually $3USD for a 100yd (90m) spool (or 50yd (45m) Brightlace, holographic rexlace).
http://www.pepperell.com/Rexlace_Boondo ... by_Doo.htm
Pinched that photo from http://www.ikickshins.net

Hope that helps!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:31 pm

Can a mod maybe make a sticky thread about types of tubing for future reference? I don't mind anybody using what I've written. And add more ideas.

Return to “Cyberlox, Foam, Tubing & ?!@#!”