makeing cyberlox need some help

Skookums

makeing cyberlox need some help

Post by Skookums » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:45 am

First off I"M truly sorry if this is in the wrong place >.>
I will be trying my first set of cyber lox falls, I have lots of questions so I do this right
ok I want an end result kind like this
ImageImage
I know I will need tubeing, rubber tubeing and foam
I need to know
how to get the foum to sit on top of the tubeing, how much tubeing, Do I make it like dread falls with 2 layers on each side? and how do I get the foam on with the tubeing. Any other tips are welcome as well please help me I don't wanna mess it up
Last edited by Skookums on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boo!

rivetlicker_

Re: makeing cyberlox need some help

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:57 am

I kinda developed my technique using different tutorials. I keep it hush on how I make falls (not so much dreads hahaha), because then everyone will be making my falls rofl.

Use these tutorials for foam, and this tutorial for cyber falls.

Mounting techniques are mentioned in the cyber fall tutorial, but I prefer this one :)

For plain cyberlox (crin falls), you'll want to use this tutorial.

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:11 am

thank you so much i'll check it out
went you put on the foum can you make a loop and put the string through it or would that be to thick?
Boo!

dreadviolet

Post by dreadviolet » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Skookums wrote:thank you so much i'll check it out
went you put on the foum can you make a loop and put the string through it or would that be to thick?
Yes you can. Here's my tutorial about making simple foam falls: http://dreadviolet.com/11
It's in finnish, but I'm sure the pictures speak for themselves.
The last photo shows one layer of foam, you can use several foam layers for foam falls, or combine materials and layers as you wish.
Fake your hair - http://dreadviolet.com/
Dreadviolet Hair Creations & material supplies -
Dreadviolet Livejournal
Dreadviolet @ Facebook
Dreadviolet @ Google+

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Oh waw thank you thats very helpful =D
I might make a set of just foum falls now to
Boo!

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:52 pm

Another question
Do you put 2 layers or mats like a dread fall?
or just one
Boo!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:07 pm

Skookums wrote:Another question
Do you put 2 layers or mats like a dread fall?
or just one
I personally use two, it gives more volume that way without having such a wide fall that won't tie around buns >_<

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:23 am

oh cool thank you
you all have been so much help
I think I have a good idea of how to pull this off now
Oh 1 more thing how do I seal the ends?
lol now all I have to do is find tubeing and foam from craft stores
Boo!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:13 am

Skookums wrote:oh cool thank you
you all have been so much help
I think I have a good idea of how to pull this off now
Oh 1 more thing how do I seal the ends?
lol now all I have to do is find tubeing and foam from craft stores
Seal the ends of what?

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:03 am

The crin dosn't it fray
Boo!

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:32 am

Tuck the ends up into themselves, coat them in clear nail polish, or knot them.

There are examples in this tutorial:
rivetlicker_ wrote:For plain cyberlox (crin falls), you'll want to use this tutorial.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:55 am

Oh thank you =D
Boo!

cyberloxshop

Re: making cyberlox need some help

Post by cyberloxshop » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:32 am

Ooooooh that's Terrocat - She is absolutely amazing! I make a lot of stuff for her! :o)

Those are pretty incredible and intricate falls to be making on your first go, but we all have to start somewhere!

The best thing to do would be to browse round and check out all the different techniques people put up and what materials are available. For those falls, you will need a lot of tubular crin which can be bought online or on ebay/amazon, foam - which you will need to cut and craft yourself, rexlace/various tubing and maybe even ribbon. Then you'll need some elastic(s) or ribbon if you prefer, to mount them on. That is two falls (a pair). You'll also need to decide on how you join the crin/tubing/lace to the elastic... Lots to think about! But so worth it!

Everyone makes cyberlox differently. I make lox completely differently now than I did when I started - I know the way I make them now is far superior to how I used to do it, the lox come better and fall perfectly and the whole process is much less time consuming.

So in essence, you will need to get a load of materials, have a play and see what you come out with! :) There are loads of great sites and inspirational tutorials around. I look forward to seeing your finished product!

Good luck and have fun making your Lox! :D
http://www.Cyberloxshop.co.uk - Hair supplies & Cyberlox galore!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cyberloxshop - come say hi!
We love fake hair, bright colours and everything cyber! :D Oh and, lots of creating!

Skookums

Re: making cyberlox need some help

Post by Skookums » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:37 pm

cyberloxshop wrote:Ooooooh that's Terrocat - She is absolutely amazing! I make a lot of stuff for her! :o)

Those are pretty incredible and intricate falls to be making on your first go, but we all have to start somewhere!

The best thing to do would be to browse round and check out all the different techniques people put up and what materials are available. For those falls, you will need a lot of tubular crin which can be bought online or on ebay/amazon, foam - which you will need to cut and craft yourself, rexlace/various tubing and maybe even ribbon. Then you'll need some elastic(s) or ribbon if you prefer, to mount them on. That is two falls (a pair). You'll also need to decide on how you join the crin/tubing/lace to the elastic... Lots to think about! But so worth it!

Everyone makes cyberlox differently. I make lox completely differently now than I did when I started - I know the way I make them now is far superior to how I used to do it, the lox come better and fall perfectly and the whole process is much less time consuming.

So in essence, you will need to get a load of materials, have a play and see what you come out with! :) There are loads of great sites and inspirational tutorials around. I look forward to seeing your finished product!

Good luck and have fun making your Lox! :D
thank you so much I have the crin on its way but I still have to find foam and rexlace I'v been looking in the craft stores but this town sucks. How many feet of crin do you think I would need?
Boo!

cyberloxshop

Post by cyberloxshop » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:47 am

Skookums wrote:thank you so much I have the crin on its way but I still have to find foam and rexlace I'v been looking in the craft stores but this town sucks. How many feet of crin do you think I would need?
Well you can buy foam either online or in craft stores - stationary stores. It's quite expensive online tbh. Rexlace can also be bought online - again, so have a look around.

With regards to the amount of crin to use in a pair of falls like that, I personally would put 20 yards in there, so along with all the foam, plastics and rexlace they would be very full. From my stores selection I would choose neon green/black stripe, neon green and black non metallic. There also appears to be mini black metallic in there too. ;) In the lighter pair, it's Neon green, green yarn and white non metallic tubular crin. I think a mix of these two set of lox would work great!

Also, you need to find out a good, efficient way of making the lox so you don't end up cutting anything wrong and wasting your materials... :D There's nothing worse than ordering a lovely load of crin and then cutting it wrong and seeing a smallish piece you could have used to add volume and length lying on the floor! (I make use of these myself - but if you don't then try not to waste it!)

And don't forget - you need something to mount your lox on. Something else to think about......

Anyway, I'm sure your dying to make your falls and we're looking forward to seeing your first attempt!

Just remember, look over all the various tutorials and gain ideas and see what you think will work best for you. :)

Also, when you get used to making them, there are plenty of other things you can add to your lox to make them that little bit more special!

Good luck! ;)
http://www.Cyberloxshop.co.uk - Hair supplies & Cyberlox galore!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cyberloxshop - come say hi!
We love fake hair, bright colours and everything cyber! :D Oh and, lots of creating!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:07 am

I recently made these HUGE falls that consisted of approximately:
6 sheets of 18x12" (A3) craft foam, cut into 1.25" strips.
2 sheets of 9x12" (A4) craft foam, cut into 1.25" strips.
Craft foam was also used for decorations.
40 doubled over pieces of 24" rexlace.
12 doubled over pieces of 18" 2.5mm smooth tubing.
12 doubled over pieces of 14-18" long large crin.
10 doubled over 18" long hair twists.
4 pieces of 18" 1/4" corrugated tubing.
4 pieces of 6" 1/4" corrugated tubing.

They were constructed by layering foam (my hush hush method), then creating a row on one elastic with the twists in between the pieces of foam. I tied rexlace together to keep the foam from sliding off the elastic. I then tied rexlace around the middle of two piece of crin (colour coordinated to be placed in certain spots), along with the smooth tubing and tied it all behind the foam. I made another layer of foam on another elastic. I tied those together and added them to the back of the first layer (with the twists and crin). I then anchored the two layers together by tying rexlace between them and brought them together with twists on both elastics (like in Delic's layering dread falls tut).

(This is a different fall, consisting of foam only, but you'll get the idea of what I did as this set of falls is secret until I release it officially).

Yeah, so the ones I described, they're freaking huge. Surprisingly light, but huge.
Yeah, you need quite a lot of stuff (hence why I charge so much).
I also find that foam is a lot cheaper coming from overseas. I just add it to whatever I'm ordering and I save because it doesn't add much to postage and they're really cheap. Plus, I can't find any foam here anyway :x

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:58 am

Thanks again keep the help comeing. rivetlicker those are amazing good job.
I have some more questions
#1) how many sheets of 18x12" foam should I get? I don't see a hole lot in the picture so would 2 sheets of each color do?
#2) If in the end I'm good at this is it worth starting an at home bussness?
Boo!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:58 am

Skookums wrote:Thanks again keep the help comeing. rivetlicker those are amazing good job.
I have some more questions
#1) how many sheets of 18x12" foam should I get? I don't see a hole lot in the picture so would 2 sheets of each color do?
#2) If in the end I'm good at this is it worth starting an at home bussness?
I usually make a pair out of 8 sheets total, I just layer them so they are fuller.
With 2 colours, split in half, 3 colours, get 3 of each colour, 4 colours, 2 of each sheet etc etc.
To be honest, I don't make much profit from it, I just enjoy seeing people happy and wearing falls that weren't put together carelessly and sold for ridiculous prices. You need to want that sort of thing to be successful at this.

Oh and to add to my last post, http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 29&t=12678 these are the falls I was referring to build wise! I released them this weekend :D

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:07 pm

those are amazing wow so beautiful, how much do you charge for something like that?
and thank you, I'm still hoping walmart has foam and relaxe in there craft section it would be so much easyer.
Okay so Update I have at home here 10 yards of crin and 10 yards mini crin so I can't start just yet (witch is killing me) I need to order more crin, So I most lickly won't get to start till next month. but that gives me a chance to try and find other mats I will need in town
looking forword to more advice thank you deerly
Boo!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Skookums wrote:those are amazing wow so beautiful, how much do you charge for something like that?
Those green beauties aren't for sale, but total worth is $250 (I'm guessing AUD, not USD) but, checking the exchange rate, there isn't much difference between the $'s, aus & usd.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:51 pm

lol cool I go by canadain dollers though
XD if I ever do get into selling this stuff I might just be the only canadain seller haha
I havn't come across any yet, well one girl sells dreads out of calgerty I think
Boo!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:14 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:
Skookums wrote:those are amazing wow so beautiful, how much do you charge for something like that?
Those green beauties aren't for sale, but total worth is $250 (I'm guessing AUD, not USD) but, checking the exchange rate, there isn't much difference between the $'s, aus & usd.
Approximately $250AUD with the fringe, yep. Normally $225, (I made twists instead of dreads and used almost 8 full sheets of foam instead of something like 2 or 3). The extra foam made it a bit more work though. I think when I was selling dreads that I made a free fringe for orders over $200, but I normally charge $30 base + $10 per colour (so when I buy the weft, I don't miss out on profits).
And yes, AUD and CAD are quite close.

One thing I should mention, I charge this much and don't make a profit because materials are pathetically hard to find here. I mean, my local craft shop has foam, but only 18x12 sheets in black and white. If it's B&W I'm after, I just buy local because I also have 20 something colours of rexlace lying about (don't stock up on it, you'll end up with a lot unused!). Profit margin mysteriously increases lol. That being said, I order my materials online because there's no guarantee on any stock at the craft store. And it's Australia (aka land of rip offs).

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:51 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:
DreadstarMonstar wrote:
Approximately $250AUD with the fringe, yep. Normally $225, (I made twists instead of dreads and used almost 8 full sheets of foam instead of something like 2 or 3). The extra foam made it a bit more work though. I think when I was selling dreads that I made a free fringe for orders over $200, but I normally charge $30 base + $10 per colour (so when I buy the weft, I don't miss out on profits).
And yes, AUD and CAD are quite close.

One thing I should mention, I charge this much and don't make a profit because materials are pathetically hard to find here. I mean, my local craft shop has foam, but only 18x12 sheets in black and white. If it's B&W I'm after, I just buy local because I also have 20 something colours of rexlace lying about (don't stock up on it, you'll end up with a lot unused!). Profit margin mysteriously increases lol. That being said, I order my materials online because there's no guarantee on any stock at the craft store. And it's Australia (aka land of rip offs).
that sucks, I hope i'm able to find some
Boo!

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:15 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJrbrqEUMjY
sorry for the crapy quality video but this is a video on what I ennded up with
there not as full as I wanted But I still love them
pleace tell me what you think
Boo!

Skookums