hairspray on wigs?

MethadonePretty

hairspray on wigs?

Post by MethadonePretty » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Hello, i searched but didn't find a confirmed answer, so i put it to the wig experts:

I've bought a wig for halloween, its essentially a professional-only jobbie (but admittedly from a rival seller as PO didn't have the colour i desired). I've experimented with an old wig and found my heated rollers give me the desire style i i want and i plan to sew a few wefts in for the streaks neccesary for me outfit... but... in order to set the style... would hairspray work? or just prove sticky yet useless? and if not hairspray, what will assist me in keeping me 'do the way i want it?

Many thanks in advance! :i2:

sammu

Re: hairspray on wigs?

Post by sammu » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:36 pm

Hairspray at the end of the day is just tiny particles of plastic, which upon application stick to the rugged fibres of human hair. Spraying plastic on plastic won't give the desired effect unfortunately.

Though if there's a style you want to set the wig in, steam it or (if it's not too much of a hassle) boiling water. Pre-styled wigs (such as curly, waved etc) have already been heat-treated, so they stay in that position until it's purposely changed.

Good luck though. :)

guest123

Post by guest123 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:16 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:36 pm

I have also found hairsprya to work. I use it all the time on my banshee falls and wigs. I am of course not trying to hold a curl though,

I did use it on a wig I used for a play and it seemed to work, I had curled it with heated rollers first. BUT I tried this again on a differnt wig years later and it didn't work at all!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:22 pm

I've not done curls... but I have formed wig mohawks with hairspray and moose combined. I don't know about curls... use heat to form the curls, then just LOAD on the hairspray. Like a whole can of it. It will make it stiff and crunchy, but I've found that hairspray does work on wig hair.

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”