How would you make a wig like this??

JolieLouise

How would you make a wig like this??

Post by JolieLouise » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:02 pm

or could you buy one? whats this style called?

sammu

Re: How would you make a wig like this??

Post by sammu » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:35 pm

It's generally known as "Pouf". I found a tutorial a little while ago, but I misplaced it so I'll try to describe what I remember.

You need a long wig with long, uncut bangs. Chicken wire, a comb, a large sewing needle with strong thread and a whole bunch of KK that matches the colour of the wig a polystyrene head will make it much easier.

Secure the wig onto the head. With the chicken wire, fashion a basic hat/tub shape (so the opening is slightly smaller than the "base" which is wider) but make sure the opening sits on the wig securely. You can make it as tall/wide as you want, but remember the bigger it is, the more hair you'll need. Secure it onto the wig with the needle and thread.

Your aim is to completely cover the chicken wire, so take the extra KK you have, backcomb it for volume and add it to the chicken wire (sew it to secure it if you wish). Now take sections of the wig hair, backcomb the base and lift it onto and over the KK'ed wire. The more KK and the more hair the wig has, and the more you backcomb, the bigger your pouf will be. :lol:

otherphoenix

Re: How would you make a wig like this??

Post by otherphoenix » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:16 pm

I don't know if you can buy them that big, but you can use foam donuts and shapes with people's hair to create 'big' hairstyles like this. They aren't squishable like wire would be, and so would probably hold up a bit better if you could get your hands on something big enough. You could always be a little creative and layer an odd shape in foam, then cover it all up with KK. :D I imagine there are some fabulous results waiting to happen.

This one in the photo is quite small, I've personally seen ones about 5 times the size of this, for kind of turn of the century styles.. So Im sure someone out there is making massive ones. :lol:

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”