Dread Wig with Purchased DEs

PeacockDreams

Dread Wig with Purchased DEs

Post by PeacockDreams » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:58 pm

Greetings -

My friend and I have decided to team up and make a dread wig from a party wig and a set of purchased loose DEs. We were going to leave some of the wig hair loose and cut some away. We do not wish to make any loose dreads ourselves nor do we wish to dread the wig hair.

Can anyone suggest the number of DEs that would be sufficient for a medium-length finished product? I was thinking between 50 and 70 would do the trick. We don't want to buy too many and naturally we don't want to be short. 60 is what I'm planning on buying.

We plan on using the zip-tie method of attaching the dreads to the wig base and figured using DEs would cause us to use fewer ties, making it lighter and faster to make.

Advice?

Thanks!
~ Da da da - Peacock Dreams! Da da da - Peacock Dreams! ~

VixenSingsBlack

Re: Dread Wig with Purchased DEs

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:28 am

60 will be okay. Just place them thoughtfully on the wig base. More at top than at bottom.

PeacockDreams

Post by PeacockDreams » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Great! Thank you!

My friend asked me yesterday after I posted if we could possibly use Dreadlock Braid Elite dreads from Doctored Locks. (Trying to keep cost down.) I have had no experience with them before so I didn't know.

Has anyone used these for any project? Are they good quality? Can they be curled like regular dreads?

Thanks!

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Doc's Dreads are pointed like the average dread. The Nubian locks look likes African American dreads and are blunt on the end. Both hold up quite well to the abuse, although, we still recommend you treat them with respect so you can get the longest wear out of them.

Doc's Dreads have sheen to them unlike the Nubains. You can hot water dip both to get a curl pattern in them but the results aren't guaranteed to be the exact curl you want. Luckily you can try several times since it is water.

Dreadfalls can be made from both just fine. Depending on the fullness you might want to use about 4-6 packs for them. They will contrast them selves though if you place them together. Other wise they still look great by them selves.

Hope all this information helps you with your project! Best of luck to you!

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:09 pm

The Dreadlock Braid Elite isn't as durable as handmade dreads. It snags pretty easily, so you'll want to avoid wearing jewelry or hair accessories that it might catch onto. It's also a lot heavier since it's not backcombed (or at least not nearly as much), and sometimes the thicker parts unravel at the top a bit and need to be resealed. The unraveling seems to be worse with the unnatural colors.. I've never had trouble with any natural shades unraveling, but just about every pack of red, white, or pink I've used has been really loose. That said, they are nicer than a lot of the manufactured dreads out there.. I'd say comparable to an average pack of Elysee Stars. They're great if you need to make a piece in a hurry, as long as you don't wear them too much.

50-70 DEs should be good, depending on how thick they are. I generally use around 150 single-ended dreads for my wigs (so 75 DEs), but the ones I make are somewhat thin.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

PeacockDreams

Post by PeacockDreams » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:15 am

Thanks so much, ladies. I appreciate your help.

I can't wait to get started...

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:11 pm

Be sure to post when you're done! :)

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”