Anyone ever make a Stocking Cap Wig? (Or DIY wig)

Hotmess

Anyone ever make a Stocking Cap Wig? (Or DIY wig)

Post by Hotmess » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:52 am

I'm taking up the art of making half-wigs and 3/4 wigs with a stocking cap, and sewing on the weft to the cap. I've also thought about making another wig like that with dreads instead. (Similar to a dread band or some sort.)

I plan to make a tutorial about this when I make my next wig which will be pretty soon.

So does anyone else know how to make wigs from scratch, whether it be a stocking cap base, or a lace cap?

ANNloses

Re: Anyone ever make a Stocking Cap Wig? (Or DIY wig)

Post by ANNloses » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:04 am

Is there a reason why you make them on stocking caps? I think they're okay for loose hair wigs, but when it comes to dreads, a snag would prove deadly.

This is an excerpt from Quinnster's, written by Dreadfairy, who is now our moderator MissAnthropik.
Dreadfairy says:
I had to get rid of my extensions to be a teacher, and I needed a temporary look, and my hair is too short for falls. So I decided to go for a wig. I made about 55 pairs of double-ended dreads to begin with.

1. First, I got a pair of tights and then cut the legs off. You might want to check they fit fairly tight to your head first, as the weight of the dreads may cause it to slip a bit if it's too loose. Although my blue wig is a bit loose, but a few (about5) well-placed grips secure it for a whole night of patying!

2. Next I sewed about two thirds of the dreads around the edge. I used the same amount of dreads as I would if i was attaching to my head, so theres about 55 in this wig, so I put about 35-40 around the outside. You would want to adjust these numbers if you like thinner dreads.

They are stitched towards the middle for about an inch. To make one with a pony tail they should all be stitched towards one high central point, but to make one with bunches stitch towards two points, where you want the bunches to be, it will also need a parting (see below)

As they are only stitched for about an inch the direction isn't too important as most of the dread can be positioned however you like.

4. Next I sewed up the hole in the back. I don't think this stage is that necssary, in fact if you had long hair it might be advantageous to leave the hole open, as then you could tie you hair up, pull it through the hole and tie the dreads around, in a semi-fall manner

5. The remaining third of the dreads need to be sewn on as a second layer starting about 3/4 of an inch back from the hair line. Stitch them in the gap between dreads. As you only have a third, they obviously need to be evenly-ish spaced around, so as a general rule, stitch one, leave 2 gaps, stitch one etc.

They don't have to be exactly evenly spaced all the way round, so if you have two biggish gaps next to each other stitch a dread in both these places. You need to use less dreads in the second layer than the first to keep the wig head-shaped.

Originally I had intended to do a thgird layer, but I found two layers had enough coverage. If you want thinner dreads you may need a third layer. As with the second layer, the third layer needs less still dreads in.

6. I then just tied the dreads up into bunches

7. Once it was tied up I attached the little front dreads by hooking them under a dread and pulling the end through the loop...but I guess you could stitch them.

I hope you find that helpful.
On top of that, I find it easier to make wigs on a weave cap. These are adjustable, and can be found at Doctoredlocks. Because they have a netting base, you can attach dreads with cable wires or rexlace. I find these to be easier to work with than nylon, and sturdier as well. You sew the wefts onto the cap in a wig's formation, following first the crown of the head. If you're attaching dreads, then you can either sew or tie them on.
Because you're working with 3/4 wigs, I'd suggest to use a weave cap because 3/4 wigs can slip, and they would fare better with a sturdier base.

A 3/4 dread wig would be similar to a dreadband, but would clearly offer much more coverage than a dreadband, because it fully encloses the back part of your head.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask, I'd be happy to answer them.

Hotmess

Post by Hotmess » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:19 am

Thank-you! ^_^

I'm more to making weft wigs than dread wigs. Now that I think about it, I have so much hair that making a dread wig to go over it would be twice the struggle!

On 3/4 wigs, I usually sew on wig clips to the front, and the back of the cap. 3/4 wigs are usually tight, ouch! But they loosen up after a while.

In my opinion though, you won't be able to find that many real wigs made from 100% human hair, or in a variety of colors in normal shops. =/ Which has compelled me to buy tons of weft,...and tons of replacement needles and thread...

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:23 am

No problem. The longer and lighter the human hair is, the more expensive it is.
I just got a 3/4 wig in the mail a few days ago, and I attached instead of wig clips, some side combs, and they work well too. Just throwing it out there. :)

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:14 am

I have moved this here as the tutorials section is only for posting completed tutorials, not asking for advice, which is to be placed in this section.

Annloses has added my description from Quinnster, but I have made a proper tutorial of that on the old HH board, I just need to re-write it for here, which I will do, and I will link you to it in this thread too.
telling it like it is!

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:44 am

One extra thing to add is that you may really really like using weaving caps instead of stocking caps - unless you are really into the stretch.

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/store/prod-0045.html

These are great because they have the little adjusty tabs and everything!!
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

nanayena

Post by nanayena » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:25 pm

Hey!

I use stockings as wig caps and they seem pretty indestructable. I LARP and rough and tumble in mine and I've not laddered one yet. I always choose nylon that has the highest denier I can find (not as hot as you would first think) you can usually find me in the lingerie section trying to poke my fingers through the display tights to see which ones are strongest! I tend to glue most of my hair of too with a glue gun but I have sort of ventilated hair in with a crotchet hook and a darning needle with not signs of rippage.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:06 pm

Ooh, I was thinking about this when I saw MissA's show off thread. I have not a lot of hair now and want to try it out.

Would it be possible to see a close up of the stitching of the dreads if anyone has a stocking wig laying about? I am trying to imagine what they look like, but I am impossible with pictureless instructions.

In my head they are sewn on just as you'd install dreads, so just evenly spaced about. However, that doesn't tie in with what the tut says (I think...).

Orrrrr, if someone can just breifly explain:

"They are stitched towards the middle for about an inch. To make one with a pony tail they should all be stitched towards one high central point, but to make one with bunches stitch towards two points, where you want the bunches to be, it will also need a parting (see below)"

in total nooby terms that would be appreciated. :)
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

kazuki

Post by kazuki » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:17 am

Many of my wig I make are created with the stocking caps. Mainly because the stocking cap is placed on my mannequin's head and glued on with the weave glue. The weave glue has elasticity and stretches well with your wig.

Plus when I visit my favorite "hood warehouse beauty supply" all the staff are cosmetology certified and they always told me to used the stocking caps, plus they also snug your hair tightly and stays on no matter how wild you get.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:40 pm

lorny, I don't have pics of mine to hand, and can't take pics right now as having a hard drive/camera issue, but when I made mine I didn't make them to hang loose, so to get decent coverage I stitched them in the direction they were to be tied up so they would cover the cap. At this stage I also only ever worse my extensions tied up so they were pretty convincing to people who always thought my wigs were extensions!

I know dolleyes made yarn wigs, but did hers hanging down.
telling it like it is!

HairDiva

Post by HairDiva » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:19 am

Isn't it really hot, now in the summer for a stocking cap wig. I can make them but it is a lot of work if you really want it professionally done.

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”