Making a Roving Wig

Noodles!

Making a Roving Wig

Post by Noodles! » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:04 pm

So i've decided I can't be bothered to braid my own hair and am going to have a whirl at making a roving wig, out of a PO one i've got lying around. My question is, how would I go about this? Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Many thanks! ^^

x
x Peace Love Unity Respect x

LittlePinkFaery

Re: Making a Roving Wig

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:07 pm

you know how to make roving right? There are tuts on here for that if not.

Then sew them ont the wig (sew in rows, more at the back than the sides) and then sew along the parting, try not to over bulk the front )or braid them in and sew extra ones on, this may be easier!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:43 pm

I've never been really accomplished at braiding them onto a wig base. What I do is cornrow all of the wig's hair and then stitch the dreads onto that. If you ever want to use the wig for something else, all you gotta do is cut away the stitching carefully and unbraid the wig's hair. So nothing really gets *ruined* or permanently altered.

Sugarstep

Post by Sugarstep » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:57 pm

Hey there!

I personally make wool roving wigs so I have a wealth of info for you!

I first start off with a high quality wig like a sepia brand or any other party kind really that has a color you're willing to work with. I personally cut open sections (the weaker netting in between the wefts of hair) and weave the felted dreadlocks in between and hold them in place with small rubber bands. By weaving them in it won't hurt the integrity and strength of the wig base. I put foam strips and even rexlace and tie them all into the wig base. I use double ended wool roving dreadies so that makes it so much easier by folding them in half after weaving them in.

Sewing them in to the wig base I personally don't have the time or patience for. More power too ya if you do!

Hopefully my explanation made sense? :)
To add sugar to every step one sparkly and interesting adornment at a time... http://sugarstep.etsy.com

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”