is there a reason 1 picece clip ins are uncommon?

mandy

is there a reason 1 picece clip ins are uncommon?

Post by mandy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:24 am

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in a very long time but I have a question about making clip in hair extensions from wefted hair, and figured this would be the place to ask.

I have made and used clip in extensions before and I almost always use this method (the normal method? lol):

aka big pieces in the back, two medium pieces on each side of the head, and small single clips just to put wherever. The amount varies depending on how short my hair is but that's basically what i always do when I sew in clips.

I'm wondering- are there any down sides to creating a single VERY long clip to use as a base? I'm talking like 14+ inches, a single really long piece that would clip from basically one side of the head behind the ear to the other. I've seen pieces like this made before for adding bulk to hair but it's always just the one piece and not used in addition to all over clip in extensions.

Would it be feasible to have one really long piece as the bottom (instead of two or three "large" pieces) and then the two medium pieces on the side and small pieces wherever? or is there a really obvious reason i'm overlooking that would make this bad/impractical?

like this

but then a few more clips layered on top.

i currently have a pixie and I made a "test" piece like that and it blends SO much better but before I committed to sewing on all the clips (it takes me ages) i thought i would ask and see if maybe it's a waste of time/a bad idea!

the only thing I'm thinking about is maybe the weight would be too much? but i used to wear full heads of braided in dreads so i'm pretty used to that and it doesn't bother me too much :lol: but maybe something else? any thoughts or input are greatly appreciated, thank you so much!

Diavolos

Re: is there a reason 1 picece clip ins are uncommon?

Post by Diavolos » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:19 pm

If I understand correctly you don't want to have to put many tresses but one thick and then of course add the smaller pieces wherever you feel it is needed,

There is one thing you should keep in mind, if you are aiming for colume and not too much length than your own hair then yes, use one piece and keep it close to the length your hair is.

If you want to add length then if you have one piece then your hair will be non-continuous. Imagine having your pixie length hair and then suddenly a whole curtain of hair beneath it.

When you aim for length, and your hair is much shorter than the extensions you want to have numerous thin tresses in order to be able to spread them over your head in different height nad levels so as to have it as smooth as possible.

Also another mistake most women do is that even if they use many layers of extensions they still don't layer enough the tresses, you need the upper tresses to be slightly longer than your own hair otherwise the curtain effect still applies to the top of your head.

It is much more beautiful to have super layered long hair than have small spiky hair on top and a rapunzel length of hair below!

~~~~~~~~~~~

This is what you shouldn't do when wearing extensions (yes I am using the infamous britney spears bad hair days)

Below we see britney sporting her growing hair (after she shaved it) and while it is a boy length she has super longer curtain extensions under them without any sort of layering to conceal them

And this is from the front:
As you can see here her fringe and all the side is like she is having a mushroom of hair and then a long piece of hair beneath it.

mandy

Post by mandy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:22 pm

thank you Diavolos, that makes sense! :D so it just doesn't blend as well

Diavolos

Post by Diavolos » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:53 pm

mandy wrote:thank you Diavolos, that makes sense! :D so it just doesn't blend as well
You can use a single piece even if you want it to blend but you need to have it layered and of course if it is one piece then it must take all the back of your head (you will see why), while having a lot of pieces you can always choose where to put and also put it inside your own hair so both your hair and the extensions are there.

Look at this image for start, it is a single piece BUT it is not a single line, it has some body to it and the hair is layered a lot

He hair also seems long enough to work seamlessly with the fake hair and it looks like that:

And when she leaves her own hair down like that:

Everytime they try to sell hair extensions they always use girls that have rather long enough hair and the end result is always slightly layered otherwise it will look fake

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Check out our covering an undercut video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nt3dNV_Xs8

You can use a wig to make a one piece clip in extension.

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”