3 stems switch hairpiece ???

Nessdufrat

3 stems switch hairpiece ???

Post by Nessdufrat » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi!
I'm a total newbie on the subject of hair extension, but I've done a bit of research, because I'd like to make a switch hairpiece, 3 stems if possible.
I got an awesome braid of virgin hair a while ago, and I've looked into having a swift made from it, but some people told me it's more expensive than to buy one already made. I actually have one, a beautiful 3 stems natural hair 27" long ponytail, but it's too heavy for me (I guess natural hair is NOT human hair, but maybe something else, like horse hair, or... Anyway, it's very heavy and the hair seems quite thick. It's awesome, but I don't think I can wear it for too long, it would damage my already crappy hair. (BTW, is it possible to color natural hair with coloring shampoo ? Not permanent dye, but the kind that goes away after 8 shampoos ?)).
So I'd like to learn how to make one. It's crazy, I know, but then I'm a quite crazy person, and I have a LOT of time to kill these next few months (I'm sick, so I can't work, and staying all day long in front of the TV is not an option anymore, I'm getting bored to death). I searched everywhere on the internet (that's how I found this forum) and I could find instructions on how to weft hair, how to make a wig, how to make lots of stuff, but I couldn't find a single piece of information on how to do a switch hairpiece. It would be a three stem, as the braid is really very dense (I haven't weighed it, but I would say at least 200g if not more).
I found the book about wig making for theaters and that's how I found out how to make wigs and weft hair, but there is like 3 lines on how to make a switch, with so little intructions I can't figure out anything. I tried looking at my hairpiece and figuring it out, but no luck there...
Anybody could give me some advice ?

LittlePinkFaery

Re: 3 stems switch hairpiece ???

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Do you mean a ponytail fall? I am not sure what you mean by 3 stem?

There are lots if ways to make a ponytail fall and there are tutorials in the tutorial section that might be useful.

Can you picture what you mean for 3 stem? Maybe it's just me that doesn't get it? :)

Nessdufrat

Post by Nessdufrat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:41 pm

The three stems ones are the ones mostly used for braids. Here is a picture of what I mean :

http://www.theheadshoponline.com/the-sw ... g-pro.html

three stems, that's the "hard" thing to which the hair is tied inside the switch. One stem is one, two stems is two, and obviously with a 3 stems switch you have three. I guess 3 is the maximum you can have. Mine is a 3 stems, it's really big.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Never seen them like that! So do you need to put three like that together? I normally work with loose hair Or a weft.

Nessdufrat

Post by Nessdufrat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 pm

No no, the one (3 stems) I have is exactly like that. I took a few pictures, not easy to take a clear photo because of all the hair...
I have the impression the hair is tied to a cord... Arrrgh, I was sure it was not such an uncommon way of doing a ponytail, but I can't find any info, nor pictures or videos...

Here you can see the way hair is "implanted" on the cord.

Here, you have two of the three stems.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:22 pm

No idea how you would bind loose hair into that without some sort of machine. You can make it into a nub ( gathering the hit together at the top, looped over, and secured or you can make many small looped pont trials and thread onto elastic- or make it into a weft and sew onto a clip.

Trawl through the tutorials section in how to make a pony tail.

These might help

http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... =64&t=4711
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... =64&t=8804

Nessdufrat

Post by Nessdufrat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Ok, thanks ! I guess I'll drop the idea altogether and get my hand on some kanekalon to try stuff... Somebody told me about a website where I could maybe sell my hair, buymyhair.com, but I wasn't able to find it :/ I just don't want to have it in a plastic bag on shelf, it's a pity, super long virgin hair :(

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:45 pm

eBay and etsy are good places to sell...you can try selling here once you are. It a 'new member' :)

Nessdufrat

Post by Nessdufrat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Actually, I found someone who will do the switch for me :) I have to send her the hair.
But I appreciate the links for the tutorials. I bought some kanekalon and I'll try to do a ponytail with it :)

Nessdufrat

Post by Nessdufrat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:44 am

Received my kanekalon :) I'll try my ponytail... I took the ultra mega long one (80", which makes it 40" if I do a ponytail like in the tutorial), so that I can make really nice hairdos with it :) I might post a picture if it's not too crappy once I'm finished ^^

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”