Nothing stays on my head. Anyone else have this problem?

Sharaya

Nothing stays on my head. Anyone else have this problem?

Post by Sharaya » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:23 am

I have bought a few wigs and headbands and things through my life and I always notice that wigs and things just dont want to sit and stay on my head no matter how tight i make them. Im not sure if I have a funny shaped head or what but I have never been able to wear cloth and elastic headbands and things like that either, they seem to just slip right up the back of my head and come off. Drives me crazy, And makes it nearly impossible to wear a wig properly. I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if they have found a way to deal with it. I have tried wig caps and they just seem to make the wig slip off my head even more. not to mention its even hard to keep the wig cap on itself. Iv tried to wear it pulled down much lower onto my head but then i end up covering half of my very large forehead and doing that with a wig just ends up looking silly, like my hairline is way too low and the bangs of the wig are pretty much covering my eyes. lol But its the only way to keep the thing on. *sigh* So I usually end up throwing the wig in a drawer in its packaging and never wearing it...but I keep on buying them haha. Any advice?

strandzofadiva

Re: Nothing stays on my head. Anyone else have this problem?

Post by strandzofadiva » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:12 am

According to your post, it seems the tightening effort is more than likely causing the problem. If the wig has been tugged down onto your head only to slide up or pop off that would be it. (the wig cap is to small)

A wig has adjustable straps located in the back of some wigs on the sides of others it would be good for you to experiment moving the straps and adjusting the tension. The wig cap should sit on your hair line, unless it is a ¾ cap, half cap/fall.

However, it should never sit beyond the hairline and onto the forehead; also take the time to feel for extended material on each side of the wig and line each piece to your temple area; doing this will center your wig properly. The wig should be very similar to that of wearing a cap or hat. It should sit comfortably.
Another culprit could be attempting to wear a petite wig while not having a petite sized head. Again the riding up is simply because the wig is not fitting properly.

The wig cap/stocking cap. Wig caps that are smooth and resemble a knee Hi can be too small for some heads and won’t fit properly. Sometimes one’s own natural hair can be silky and shiny and the cap slides because of the smooth surface.
Wig caps with the open mesh design are made with elastic bands and the elastic bands stay snuggly put, preferably hitting the hairline. This type of wig cap stays put due to the elastic band and won’t pop off.

If you like please, visit my blog for more wig wear & care tips www. Strandzofadiva.wordpress.com

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:55 am

I have the same issue. My head is just a weird shape though :lol:

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Have you tried using Liquid Gold?

Sharaya

Post by Sharaya » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 pm

Iv never used Liquid Gold before. It's kind of intimidating to me to be honest. And I'm not really sure how to use it. hehe

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:30 pm

I have the same problem, and i sew clips onto the inside of my wigs ( the little tiny weave/wig clips) and they stay put fine after that.

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:55 am

I realize it may be a bit late, but I recently found that sewing sidecombs to the inside of the wig towards the front hairline helps ALOT.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:26 pm

For wigs, I wear a wig cap and secure it to my real hair using snap clips around my hairline. Then I put the wig on and slide hair pins (not bobby pins; you want the ones shaped like an elongated "U") through the wig mesh and into the wig cap all the way around my head with the bottom of the pins pointing toward my hair line. This hasn't failed me yet with lots of hard dancing and running around.

I have the same issue with cloth headbands. I sew wig clips onto the underside of mine to hold them in place.

Diavolos

Post by Diavolos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Nobody wears wigs without slippage even when the wig cap is custom made specifically for the owners head.

The problem is when there are elastic parts in the wig, like the wholesale wigs that are made to fit most heads... if the wig cap is made 100% with no stretch materials and custom made to the shape of your head, you won't have as much problem.

In any case though, you want to secure the wig cause even if it doesn't slip at all you still need to be sure it won't move while you move your head or if wing blows. Meaning that you shouldn't wear it like you wear a hat or a cap for sun.

You always have to pin it to areas that will not be visible like the sides and neck area and as much as you can in the front area because if it slips a little it will be THAT visible.

I would never use glue, it is too permanent for my taste, just see for any inside combs or try bobby pins if you can without damaging the foundation lace.

P.S. never have a wig very tight, it is uncomfortable and it won't stay to your head easily.

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”