wig piece for thinning hair?

nysstique

wig piece for thinning hair?

Post by nysstique » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:49 pm

I have a client who has severely thinning hair... her whole crown is quite short and thin, almost bald. :( Her hair in the sides, back, and bangs is thick and healthy but still not more than a few inches long. I"m trying to come up with a hairpiece I can make that will cover this area so that it can grow out A) without becoming more damaged and B) looking good while growing. My client has trichotillomania, a condition that causes her to compulsively pull her hair out. Therefore we have decided she needs something that will completely cover that area to keep her from getting at it. I think that a wig piece would be the best way, or I've heard about a mesh piece that has some synthetic (or real) hair on it, and then you can pull bits of the natural hair through.

Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone have thoughts/suggestions? I've never made a wig but I am certainly ready to give it a go. Today she's coming over and I'm going to attempt to do a weave or make some clip-in pieces for the area around the thin spot, but I fear that since her hair is so short, it won't last long. My client is feeling hopeless about it as it seems to only get worse.
--the silly devil--

Couture_Coiffure

Re: wig piece for thinning hair?

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:34 pm

You can make a sort of 'cap' for the crown area, by attaching weft to a stocking cap. Would suggest that you do this on the clients' head [make sure she is wearing a plastic cap so the glue does not get on her hair] in order to get it to fit just right. Then sew some clips on, and that way, she will be able to wear it whenever she wants to.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

abby_carnage

Post by abby_carnage » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Could she try a 3 quarter wig? So she can have her fringe out too? x

tammy123

Post by tammy123 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Couture_Coiffure wrote:You can make a sort of 'cap' for the crown area, by attaching weft to a stocking cap. Would suggest that you do this on the clients' head [make sure she is wearing a plastic cap so the glue does not get on her hair] in order to get it to fit just right. Then sew some clips on, and that way, she will be able to wear it whenever she wants to.
Actually you provided a better option, I will definitely suggest this to my friend who was facing a problem with thinning of hair and he really needs to have a hair extension and this can be the beneficial option for her.

Thanks

Diavolos

Post by Diavolos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 pm

Only a full wig would help. I never understood people with that illness that they can't help pulling their own hair off.

Are they aware that they do something wrong, and if yes why do they still do it? Are they falling into some sort of ecstasy while they do it and then suddenly realize that they did it again or something?

Dunno, but a whole wig would help if she would stick to it and stop pulling her own hair off. Cause maybe she removed the wig so as to start pulling her hair again. Maybe a sew-in wig would help more cause it would prevent her from removing the wig when nobody is around.

Sad story

strandzofadiva

Post by strandzofadiva » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:09 pm

This condition renders the same result many women face in that it is similar to male pattern baldness.

There are pull through units that have a bee-hive design that allows one to pull their hair through and blend with the unit. If ones hair is too thin covering the weft might prove a challenge. Teasing the hair and applying hair spray will secure the unit.

If one has lots of hair on the sides and back making a small semi circle braid near the crown ; then sew a piece of weave/extension mesh attaching it to the braid; once in place you can now sew on extensions perhaps most effectively in a circular motion.

Mesh: a piece of material made of cloth used as a foundation for weaves/extensions when ones hair is not capable of holding an extension on its own.

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”