Foam/Tubing wig?

Ivy

Foam/Tubing wig?

Post by Ivy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:43 am

Does anyone have experience making wigs with foam and tubing and random non hair items? Do you sew it in? Or does that tear the foam??

You see I've cut my hair short and I really want to find a way to use my new foam pieces from Hair Surgeon.

IKickShins

Re: Foam/Tubing wig?

Post by IKickShins » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:52 pm

I recommend punching holes in the foam, reinforcing them, and then tying them in. If the wig is full enough, you can attach the foam in bunches with cable ties (which is wayyy easier than sewing or tying, in my experience). You can reinforce the holes by wrapping the top of the foam in tape or by adding eyelets.

You could also fold the foam over and make bunches, then thread something through the fold and tie that on.. though I think that might be best suited for falls as it could end up bhanging really weird on a wig.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:42 pm

What Sarah said is right.
I've worked on some plastic/foam wigs (never finished them, mind you, but I do have some experience with them.) and I was meaning to write up a tutorial.
Here I've cut off a lot of the wefts, to expose the mesh base. (This wig is NOT Kanekalon, it is synthetic. These types, while have a crappy quality for dread wigs, are perfect for plastic wigs, because the entire base is mesh. Loop the tubing/rexlace/whatever through the loops and knot. This also applies to the tubing/rexlace/whatever that is holding your lovely foam too.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:55 am

Thank you both for the responses! I'm really excited about this project I just need some time to get started and make my craft room even more messy.

I'll definately give the reinforcing/eyelet thing a go with the foam...now to find some black cable ties (which is suprisingly difficult - they tend to be fluro yellow here for some reason).

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”