I want to make a dreadwig.

runningwithlola

I want to make a dreadwig.

Post by runningwithlola » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:50 am

I have a somewhat cheap "party wig" I got from somewhere ages ago, and I just realized it would make a fabulous dread wig, b/c it's got BANGS and I want bangs so bad but can't have them with my hair (it's too curly. I tried.)

Anyway, it's stark freaking white. It's decently thick. It was a $35 wig. I want to make a dreadwig out of it, but from what I've read here I won't necessarily be able to make dreads WITH it. I'm going to assume that it's *not* kanekalon, b/c most wigs are not kanekalon, right? And the two hair types likely won't seal the same.

So what is my best bet then? I can't really make dreads out of the wig hair b/c it's only a bit past my shoulders, they dreads would be ridiculously short. And you can't necessarily incorporate the wig hair into dreads, b/c different fibers will seal differently.
What would you suggest? Cutting off all the hair except the fringe, and adding in all my own dreads?

Can anybody point me to a tute for dread wigs, also?

(edit: just found the tutorial section. duh.)

ANNloses

Re: I want to make a dreadwig.

Post by ANNloses » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:58 am

You've found the tutorials section, so I don't think I need to explain that part.

If it was a $35 wig, it is more likely than not Kanekalon or Toyokalon. A lot of wigs are made of Kanekalon.

runningwithlola

Post by runningwithlola » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:48 am

Really? I didn't think so. But I don' tknow much about wigs.
So, is it worth attempting to *sort of* get some of the wig hair into the dreads? It's too short to do major backcombing, but I might be able to get some transitionals out of it.
Any advice from anyone who's BDTD would be really appreciated.

sammu

Post by sammu » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Firstly, I always section the wig off so that every section I dread, is equal and evenly spaced on the wigcap.

You can use the transitional method to add hair that will dread:

Backcomb the wig hair, then poke a backcombed piece of KK through it about halfway down. Backcomb it all together and twist, and steam-seal. That way most of the wigs' hair is incorporated into hair that will seal, and it makes a dread.

I also braid dreads onto the even sections of wig-hair I talked about earlier, as if I was installing them on a real head. :)

runningwithlola

Post by runningwithlola » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:11 am

ah, thanks very much for the tips, Cirquemachine. BTW, i LOVE your avatar. Gorgeous.

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”