i need help choosing the right wig to add dreads to

convenientlust

i need help choosing the right wig to add dreads to

Post by convenientlust » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:36 am

Hello.

So lately I've really been looking into making a dread wig. I purchased a wig online on a whim... but didn't check the material it was made of until after. It only says fibre so I'm waiting on word back to find out exactly what it's made of.

This is the wig I bought

I had a few questions for experience wig makers, unlike myself ;)

1) Is length an issue if you're connecting your loose KK to the wig fibres?
2) Will only KK work?
3) Are there any sites you can recommend for buying not too expensive wigs?

Elstaro

Re: i need help choosing the right wig to add dreads to

Post by Elstaro » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:20 am

1) Im not sure how you plan on connecting the lose kk to the wig fibers, sounds like that would be a huge pain. I usally either cut all the hair off except the fringe and the top part and sew se dreads on to the base, or if I know the wig is made of kk Ill take the loose kk and um fold it over the weft like Im about to make a loop for a se dread (if that makes sense, Im bad at explaning things) and backcombe the fibers together. usally the leangth of the wig doesnt matter because so little of it is being used in each dread. Thats just how I do things Im sure some of these ladies can be a bit more helpfull

2) Ive tryed dreading pp fiber yaki toyokalon and 100 synthetic and whatever the fiber is they use on cheep party wigs and more often then not they came out like compleate crap or were so much work it really wasnt worth it. Im not sure how many types of synthetic hair there are but out of everything Ive tryed kk is just the best option.

3)Ebay! cog&marc are fantastic ebay sellers there wigs are good quality and often made out of kk really inexpencive and even though there based in china they have really fast shipping I live in the US and I usally get whatever I order from them in 2 weeks. professional only is another one Ive heard lots of good things about them but havent purchased from them myeslf.
I hope this helps and dont forget to let us know how it comes out :D
I poo rainbows ^_^

convenientlust

Re: i need help choosing the right wig to add dreads to

Post by convenientlust » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:25 am

So atleast for starting the wig, do you mean that I could use a wig cap and go from there if I wanted to? No wig necessary? (Well, except for the fringe which I want so I would probably start with a wig...)

I remember reading a tutorial, I'm not sure which one and I don't remember the steps, but it was something like "making a dread wig from a party/halloween wig"... I recall whoever made the tut connected the wig fibers to the KK. It does sound like a pain, but I haven't made one but I really want to.

I appreciate your advice though. The way you do it sounds like it would be alot better for me.
I will definitely be trying that. :i2:

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”