"flag" dreads?

hairykiter

"flag" dreads?

Post by hairykiter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:19 pm

I'll be off to a 4-day-long international competition next month and as a patriotic Scot (who's not competing :() I want to show my colours.

Does anyone think it'll be possible to make saltire (scottish flag) dreads?

This has literally just occurred to me so I dunno ..... white-wrapped blue maybe? Or a base load of blue with just a few wrapped?

*off to buy appropriate colours*

and with a week off work I might even try to install them :shock:

VixenSingsBlack

Re: "flag" dreads?

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:19 pm

I think it's totally possible and great that you want to be patriotic.

hairykiter

Post by hairykiter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks :D Has anyone else done a flag/country colours project like this? (I'm nosey)

Gaaah, finding the exact right shade of blue is surprisingly difficult!
Winghams Ultramarine, French Navy or Mid Blue? Or Sara's Cobalt or Cornflower? Doesn't help that the saltire appears in various shades anyway ...... or mabe it does?

*indecisive*

and I only have a couple of weeks to make them!

(edit) I cannot see a difference between Ultramarine and Royal Blue (winghams)!! Halp! lol

hairykiter

Post by hairykiter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:13 am

Panic over, wool ordered :)

Thinking out loud here .... I'll be using ultramarine as the base and adding just enough white to create the flag effect.
So some wraps and transitions to make it interesing, and a few solid white crossed over the blue to actually create the flag on my head .... hopefully.

Pics when I have something to take pics of!

hairykiter

Post by hairykiter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:02 pm

OK so I dreaded until I ran out of wool. Got surprisingly few whites actually (and my trans are poooooooor, all four of them lol) but I have a huge base load of blue solids. I don't know if my head will manage the weight of all these for a week, if not I'll have to spend an evening installing them :D (mmm brown hair + blue & white dreads, that'll look good)

Dread count: 63 normal + 4 braids

Just need to get them made into falls now :i2:

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:00 pm

So awesome! :o

hairykiter

Post by hairykiter » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Well an awesome week was had by all, I lasted all of one day with the full dread-fall getup due to the high winds. I tried wearing just one fall under a bigger bandana, I tried tying them up/back but they were still all over the place and getting uncomfortable. I eventually ended up with just a few tied round pigtails to hang out the bottom of my hat, so I was at least still flying the colours ;)
Went down well anyway, I had so many good comments and loads of curious people. Even the swiss guy who doesn't speak a word of english came up and ruffled them and gave me a huge grin :D
Next time I'll just go with them installed from the word go, can only be more comfy and manageable.

This is the only picture I have of me with the falls on but there might be more out there taken by other folk, if I find any good ones I'll post or link them :)

(edit) sheltering from the awful weather.... falls just don't look so good with a hood up do they lol

Return to “Roving & Wool”