making thicker wool dreads

K.O.

making thicker wool dreads

Post by K.O. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:12 am

Ok so I use the braid-backbrush-boil method to make my dreads from yarn, but i always seem to end up with dreads that are pencil thickness or a little thicker. I know that when using jumbo braid synthetic hair you would just add more to the bunch to make a thicker dread. But with the way I make mine, could anyone suggest a way that I could possibly make my wool dreads thicker? I'm using yarn and braiding that, backbrushing and so on. Should I just add more strands to the braid i create?
Kitten A.K.A
Kristin Okopski

LittlePinkFaery

Re: making thicker wool dreads

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:08 am

yes, just use more wool- You are in a minority still using yarn strands- Love you for it!!

I used to buy fluffy wool as you are already half way there with the fluffing up! I would love to see pics of what you are doing- my business used to be wool and yarn but there isn't much of a market for anything but roving these days- I don't have time to experiment or indeed market myself any more with new ideas so it is great to see someone else playing with yarn!

VixenSingsBlack

Re: making thicker wool dreads

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:45 pm

More yarn could mean more trouble sealing, but it's the only way toward more thickness. You could try braiding a core, then doing the wrappy backbrushing over that.

Return to “Roving & Wool”