Singles/Accent dreads

CrossEyedMorgan

Singles/Accent dreads

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 pm

I seem to be asking way too many questions, sorry for filling up your forum!!
Hope this isn't a stupid question, would hate to waste your time..

Just wondering when people wear accent dreads/singles in their hair, do they wear them for like a night or do they keep them in for a couple weeks/months like they would if their whole head was done?

Just coz I was thinking once I've taken my full-head of dreads out I might install some accent ones, to keep in, but was wondering how to look after the rest of my hair? Do people just comb/wash their hair around the accent dreads?

This is an example of what I mean
(This is from miasma hair's website: http://www.miasmahair.co.nz/Home.htm , been perving at the gallery haha absolutely love the dreads)

Yeah, so his hair looks pretty healthy and straight and neat and not knotted or dreaded haha
I'd like my hair to stay like that, but have some accent dreads in

Hope that makes sense to people XD
Thanks

Librarynerd

Re: Singles/Accent dreads

Post by Librarynerd » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:30 pm

here is partial install I did in my hair. It' a mix of synth and wool dreads. my hair texture is very smooth and does not dread easily on its own so just running my fingers through my hair/dreads a few times a day worked fine. I left these in for about a week but could have left them in longer. I did not wash them and I'm not sure I would have with the woolies in because getting them thoroughly dry in my damp environment (everything molds here, really fast) would be a pain.
I really liked the look of them and they are very comfy as they are much lighter than a full install. I think they look best if the dread is the same length as your own hair but I have seen some cool partials with long dreads underneath in the back or up front to create and A-Line look. I installed these a bit differently than usual, I pinch braided them. This is where you only braid in about an inch onto you own hair, rubber band it, and leave the end loose. I think this looks good for a partial install but crappy in a full install and you have to careful to keep the ends from tangling.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

CrossEyedMorgan

Re: Singles/Accent dreads

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:55 am

Brilliant, thanks so much that answered what I needed exactly
I think my hair is similar, in that it doesn't seem to knot heaps and probably won't dread is I run my hands through it so I think I'll do a partial install
Don't wanna spend ages installing during Uni lol

That picture looks great by the way, the pinch-braiding technique sounds like a good idea

Return to “Roving & Wool”