Washing dreads while they're still in

CrossEyedMorgan

Washing dreads while they're still in

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:58 pm

I've just come home from playing a gig, and got another tomorrow so I know I'm going to have to wash my scalp so I don't smell lol. I posted a tutorial on how to wash your scalp with dread extensions so that's fine. But I was thinking I could was the dreads as well with water and soap while they're still on my head, but do it in small groups so it's not heavy on my head. I'd be able to hold and control it then squeeze out the water. Then dry with a hairdryer. That was my plan but I just wanna check if that would be ok for me, my hair, and the dreads haha. What do you think?

MrsEss

Re: Washing dreads while they're still in

Post by MrsEss » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:12 pm

I've never, ever washed roving dreads while they've been on my head. But I never wash my head while I have dreads in. I occasionally spray my head if I think it needs it, but after a while your own head won't smell.

I read somewhere that saturating roving is a bad idea because the wool can begin to rot if it stays wet too long, plus it can get enormously heavy. Honestly, it'll be easier to take em out, wash your hair & put em back in after a few days.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

xalternmommyx

Post by xalternmommyx » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:03 pm

See even with using Squeak's tut on washing still makes me think... bc the part of the dread that is at your scalp might get wet when washing and with all that hair braided around it i wouldnt trust that that would dry well... like DSM said, wool can rot and get moldy.... not something your want up against your scalp- usually thats very tender sensative skin i honestly wouldnt chance it.

i agree with DSM about taking them out washing your real hair.... and maybe spritz the roving with som fabreeze if they stink a bit.

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:14 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote: Honestly, it'll be easier to take em out, wash your hair & put em back in after a few days.
This is really your best bet. I've rinsed with roving in, but not washed. It worked out okay, but I only keep my dreads in a week or so anyhow. It's not something I would recommend over long periods of time.
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

CrossEyedMorgan

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:33 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:I've never, ever washed roving dreads while they've been on my head. But I never wash my head while I have dreads in. I occasionally spray my head if I think it needs it, but after a while your own head won't smell.

I read somewhere that saturating roving is a bad idea because the wool can begin to rot if it stays wet too long, plus it can get enormously heavy. Honestly, it'll be easier to take em out, wash your hair & put em back in after a few days.
Ok, I don't think I will wash my hair yet, I do want to keep them in for a while longer and my head doesn't smell I just thought I'd check all my options haha
What do you mean by spraying your head? With a perfume kinda thing or a cleaning thing?

Yeah I knew it would rot if it was kept wet but yeah I thought with a towel and hairdryer it would get pretty dry and would be ok :/ I won't risk it though haha
xalternmommyx wrote:See even with using Squeak's tut on washing still makes me think... bc the part of the dread that is at your scalp might get wet when washing and with all that hair braided around it i wouldnt trust that that would dry well... like DSM said, wool can rot and get moldy.... not something your want up against your scalp- usually thats very tender sensative skin i honestly wouldnt chance it.

i agree with DSM about taking them out washing your real hair.... and maybe spritz the roving with som fabreeze if they stink a bit.
I shouldn't have posted the tutorial!! :O I thought it was for any dreads, woopsie, sorry!

xalternmommyx

Post by xalternmommyx » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 pm

nah, its a good tut for washing with synths :)

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:09 pm

Yeah, I don't know what you can buy on Zealand. I personally use some "daily defense spray" by Umberto Gianni. Just with the hair styling products, like the stuff you'd spray before straightening & stuff. not a hair spray or whatever. Just something that smells nice. I've used linen spray too, or as Alternmommy said some febreeze.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

CrossEyedMorgan

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:29 am

Aaah ok, well one thing I do currently which may be a little bad I'm not sure, is when I light my incense I kinda let my dreads go in the smoke and it soaks up the smell a bit... I used to do that with my normal hair occasionally haha is that bad?

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:18 am

Nothing wrong with that!

I like to do that and indeed when I made shed loads of falls for sale/ trading, I used to light incense under all the falls to go on sale and let them absorb a little bit- just so they had a faint nice smell about them :)

CrossEyedMorgan

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:27 am

littlepinkfaery wrote:Nothing wrong with that!

I like to do that and indeed when I made shed loads of falls for sale/ trading, I used to light incense under all the falls to go on sale and let them absorb a little bit- just so they had a faint nice smell about them :)

YUSSSSSSSSS
I have a ridiculous amount of incence, I love it, and I probably would have done it anyway even if it were a bit bad haha I love the incense smell in hair, my boyfriend always notices so it's cool haha

zeara

Post by zeara » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:55 pm

I have washed my roving dreads while they were in my hair. I usually keep an install in for about a month and wash the dreads every week and a half or so. If i dont wash my scalp it gets REALLY itchy. I've found that washing helps my dreads tighten up a little more and i've never had any problems with it really. The only issue is that if you dont live in a particularly dry climate they may stay damp for a long time, even days, no matter how well you wring them out. Over all though, i would say it's not a bad idea.
"All my friends are murder
Hey, all my bones no marrows in
All these fiends want teenage meat
All my friends are murderers."

CrossEyedMorgan

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:56 am

zeara wrote:I have washed my roving dreads while they were in my hair. I usually keep an install in for about a month and wash the dreads every week and a half or so. If i dont wash my scalp it gets REALLY itchy. I've found that washing helps my dreads tighten up a little more and i've never had any problems with it really. The only issue is that if you dont live in a particularly dry climate they may stay damp for a long time, even days, no matter how well you wring them out. Over all though, i would say it's not a bad idea.
That's what I expected! But if you've read the other comments some people thought it may be bad. I've had them in for about a month and a half now and haven't washed them and my head hasn't been that itchy, just think my hair's regulated itself haha but thanks for that

Return to “Roving & Wool”