What to do with hair BEFORE installing?

CrossEyedMorgan

What to do with hair BEFORE installing?

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm going to try and install my dread extensions myself once I've finally made them all, and I was just wondering if people have any things they do/don't do to their hair before installation? Just things to make it easier, and make sure your hair doesn't start dreading or matting together etc

E.g. Should you not wash your hair for a few days, or should you wash it the day before?
Use conditioner or not?

Put anything in your hair beforehand?
Really don't want my hair to start dreading itself haha

xalternmommyx

Re: What to do with hair BEFORE installing?

Post by xalternmommyx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:04 pm

personally i like to have my hair lightly damp when i install so i have a tiny spray bottle that i mix a pinch of contioner with hot water so i can spray my hair as needed to keep from missing pieces/frizz. with roving i try not to spray much though. but it helps to keep from knots and frizz.
i usually wash my hair like one or two nights before the install so that i know its not dirty and that way i dont get the flakes sooner.

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:21 pm

I'd say definatly don't conditionor straighten hair before installing, as it can make the hair really slippery and make your job harder.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:07 am

I shampoo and condition my hair the night before install. During the install I use aloe Vera gel to help tame fly aways; use a sparing amount of sloe so it doesn't get slippery, but tacky.

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:43 am

i wash my hair right before i install, but do not condition. then i install while my hair is still damp.
*Manda*

CrossEyedMorgan

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:55 am

Everyone's said something slightly different XD
But thanks heaps, I've still got a while before I install so I'll see what others say and maybe do a mix of what everyone's said haha

I love this site XD

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:40 am

See, I was told that installing on damp hair is bad. Your hair is at it's weakest when it's wet, seems a little odd to add braids, dreads & elastics to it. Personally, I install mine when I should be washing my hair....which is about 2 days after previously washing it.

I installed some for a girl on here the other day & she'd use that salt spray stuff that you can buy from boots & whatnot. errr, surfer hair stuff. Made a difference & smells awesome :D

also, you may wanna read this: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=13756 ;)
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Kandiihaar

Post by Kandiihaar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:30 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:See, I was told that installing on damp hair is bad. Your hair is at it's weakest when it's wet, seems a little odd to add braids, dreads & elastics to it. Personally, I install mine when I should be washing my hair....which is about 2 days after previously washing it.
Exactly this!!

The only client I have ever added water to is a girl with natural afro hair, it needs to be slightly damp to get to the scalp, it is so dam thick! I used leave in conditioner diluted with some water and only made it slightly damp.

I tell customers not to wash their hair on the day of installing, and personally install when my hairs due for a swash as i self install and need the extra grip.

xx

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:35 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:See, I was told that installing on damp hair is bad. Your hair is at it's weakest when it's wet, seems a little odd to add braids, dreads & elastics to it.
This is what I've been told as well.

CrossEyedMorgan

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:11 pm

[/quote]also, you may wanna read this: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=13756 ;)[/quote]

I just read all that and you said you'd try the hairspray thing, did you end up trying it? How did it work out?

Oh oh and
I installed some for a girl on here the other day & she'd use that salt spray stuff that you can buy from boots & whatnot. errr, surfer hair stuff. Made a difference & smells awesome :D
Boots is an English store right? Haha I'm in New Zealand but I'll have a look and see if there's anything similar XD

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Yeah, boots is UK. I haven't yet, no. I actually forgot :P
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:10 pm

CrossEyedMorgan wrote:
also, you may wanna read this: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=13756 ;)[/quote]

I just read all that and you said you'd try the hairspray thing, did you end up trying it? How did it work out?

Oh oh and
Boots is an English store right? Haha I'm in New Zealand but I'll have a look and see if there's anything similar XD[/quote]

I did hair spray once, but I found it wasn't worth it. It was GREAT during the install because my hair was nice and sticky and easy to handle. However, when I took everything out 3 weeks later my natural hair felt very dried out and trying to comb out the knots was INSANE. I couldn't just comb out because my hair was so dry and stiff, so I had to wet and wash it in mild shampoo, which only added to the knots... two hours later and half a bottle of conditioner I was knot free with a BIG bundle of lost hair. But, when I use aloe vera gel it works out great. When I undo the install, all I need to do is spritz my hair with a little water, and the aloe goes very slippery making the knot combing easy-schmeezy. Now I use Johnson and Johnson No More Tangles spray to make the process go even faster. My hair is 12-14 inches long, just so you know.

CrossEyedMorgan

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:44 pm

aaah ok, won't do hairspray then XD my hair's quite long and can knot enough already haha
thanks for that
I'll have to have a little shop around, we had aloe vera gel but it had turned a bit yuck.. used it when paper macheing so the paper didn't stick to the balloon and make it pop XD

this is my hair btw if this makes any difference

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:03 pm

Preeeeeeeeeeetty!

I'd personally suggest leaving your hair until it needs a wash before installing. Probably best for the first few goes

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

CrossEyedMorgan

Post by CrossEyedMorgan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:44 am

Lol thanks XD
I look like a poser but it was the most recent photo on my laptop that showed my hair hahaha

Yeah that sounds like the best way, and I'll see if there's any good products the same as or similar to that surfey salt spray stuff and I'm sure I could find aloe vera XD

I put some in today (for a Pirates vs Ninjas party, I'm a steampunk pirate XD) so got a bit of practice and it went alright

I did the blanket stitch? I think that's what it's called, though I plaited down a few of them coz I kinda of like the criss-cross look for a pirate haha
It's a bit messy and I've got some ends sticking out coz I've got layers in my hair and I grabbed bits of different lengths

Was only going to show one photo but I was trying to get photos of the top so I could maybe get a little critique haha
Their isn't this much contrast with hair colour in real life, though I think the black hair dye has faded a bit hahaha (my hair's naturally dark brown)

Return to “Roving & Wool”