Knitting?

asklipiodota

Knitting?

Post by asklipiodota » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:30 am

Here in AU it's winter, and I've got the knitting bug. I want new roving dreads, and being a poor student I started thinking about making my own. Then it hit me... a ball of wool I have at home has "FELT ME" written on the label.

So, here's the idea. Knitting long dread-shaped strips, they could be tapered at the ends, textured, whatever. Then felting those, as you would any other knitted item you were gonna felt.

Has anyone tried this? Do any felting-aficionados think it might work?

MrsEss

Re: Knitting?

Post by MrsEss » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:00 am

What wool is it?

I'm pretty sure once wool has been spun it can't be felted like roving can.....anyone can correct me if I'm wrong like! ;)
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

asklipiodota

Post by asklipiodota » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:45 am

The wool is kind of thick, but it has very little twist. I know you can felt items that have been knit, like bags and slippers and things. They generally look kinda... hideous, but I think dreads might work!

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 am

Hey fellow Aussie.

Once wool has been spun it can still be felted - (or more properly termed "fulling" when it's done with yarn)
Many wool yarns from the store may not felt if it has been treated with an anti-felting agent (so the finished product doesn't shrink) But if yours specifically says felting, then you're safe.
and yep, I can remember someone felting dreadlocks from yarn on the forum.
The effect was that you could still see the yarn strands, but it seemed to work ok-ish

My best advice would be to do something like this
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=10309
...and then go ahead and felt it.

or more correctly: go ahead and full it. ;)
jungle dread on the facebooks

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:44 am

Or if crocheting isn't your thing, if you have one of those Quick Braider (two or three strand twist braiders that were on the market between 5 and 10 years ago), use a few strands of yarn (different colours for swirls), use the quick braider and viola, instant twists. Surely killed a tonne of time I would've spent making this wig if I did it by hand.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:04 am

Jane Doe wrote:Hey fellow Aussie.

Once wool has been spun it can still be felted - (or more properly termed "fulling" when it's done with yarn)
Many wool yarns from the store may not felt if it has been treated with an anti-felting agent (so the finished product doesn't shrink) But if yours specifically says felting, then you're safe.
and yep, I can remember someone felting dreadlocks from yarn on the forum.
The effect was that you could still see the yarn strands, but it seemed to work ok-ish

My best advice would be to do something like this
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=10309
...and then go ahead and felt it.

or more correctly: go ahead and full it. ;)
Ah, I knew you'd know :D
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

asklipiodota

Post by asklipiodota » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:39 pm

Awesome, thanks guys :) I might just have a bit of a play. I'll put some pictures up if anything interesting comes out!

Return to “Roving & Wool”