I'm going batting crazy

Candied_Angel

I'm going batting crazy

Post by Candied_Angel » Thu May 13, 2010 7:45 am

In other words, I have just a small question that will solve a boatload of issues I'm having.

Has anyone used wool batting instead of roving before to make dreads?

I'm going as Mudkip the Pokemon to Otakon 2010 and I wanted rather fat woolies [roundabout 12 cm/4 or so in.]. I was uber inspired by HellsBells show off: viewtopic.php?f=106&t=8153 . I didn't want to order a bunch of roving that would have stressed my budget and ran into the same problems as another lady on here that just couldn't get the dreads fat enough. Except I want my dreads to be just 12 cm (roundabout 4 or so inches) in circumference.

I saw a video on Youtube on how to make felt balls and thought wool batting would be perfect since it drifts off in soft, thin layers and I could in turn lay them out, roll them up, and felt them just like in Jane Doe's tutorial.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. >.<''
I'm rather new to making woolies but rest assured. I am reading/watching every tutorial there is out there. With advice from the loveliest and friendliest ladies in the fake hair sector of the internet.

VixenSingsBlack

Re: I'm going batting crazy

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:04 am

I'd suggest building up in layers. So felt 1" dreads. Let dry. Then add another inch and dry. So on and so on. That way the middle isn't AS wet as it would be otherwise.

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:00 am

I would suggest just using the wool in its raw form to make such chunky dreads.
I use merino roving and its pretty chunky as it is. Rather than cutting it in to strips I would just suggest felting it as it is to give such large dreads. I have done this before for a friend who wanted chunky dreads and there were massive. I wouldnt suggest making them too long though or the weight might be a bit too much. Hope it helps, PM me if you want me to help with any other questions! :)
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:23 pm

Yeah, I've not split roving. They're pretty thick.

Candied_Angel

Post by Candied_Angel » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:57 am

Thanks for the insight guys!
Even though I missed Otakon I still made them and they turned out really well.
I'm thinking about posting a tutorial later, once I get better pictures.
[I made a tutorial before but took the pictures with a webcam. Now that I have a camera it'll look a lot better.]

P.S. I love those dreads Vixen!
Striving for social imperfection since 1990.

Return to “Roving & Wool”