Best dye to put over existing rainbow roving

titchyfeep

Best dye to put over existing rainbow roving

Post by titchyfeep » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:33 pm

Hey, I'm new so please dont bite ;)

I have very recently had roving dreads installed after cutting out natural dreads almost a year ago, the problem is I stupidly didn't check if it would be ok with my work and they are not happy about the colour :(

I have been advised I can keep them in if they are all the one colour so I'm look on advice on how and what to use to dye them.

I would like to make them black with purple tips if possible

I have read so many tutorials and my head is spining so if anyone can give me simple straight forward instructions to do this I would be over the moon.

thanks
feep

VixenSingsBlack

Re: Best dye to put over existing rainbow roving

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:41 pm

I am assuming the "rainbow roving" are the ones in your avatar picture. I do not think you will be able to achieve black with purple tips. You cannot really remove the current color from them. You can dye OVER the current colors with something dark, like black for instance. I would suggest using professional wool dyes for this, rather than food coloring. Look at this tutorial here on how to use a wool dye here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=8027 Please keep in mind to NOT use any items during the dying process you also use for food. The dyes are harmful to the body, and even stainless steel instrumentation can be affected by them.

There's no guarantee that's going to work though. I'd say run a test by only dying one of each rainbow colors first.

Good luck, sorry your job is not willing to have fun hair. To talk about that, look over here: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=719
Last edited by VixenSingsBlack on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typos

Squidgy

Re: Best dye to put over existing rainbow roving

Post by Squidgy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 am

:o :o :| :o :| tis me biting, lol....

What a shame your work wont allow you to have such beautiful dreads - I normally use http://www.vycombe-arts.co.uk/onlinesho ... -Dyes.htmlfor dying my wool, the colours are good and the delivery is always quick but have just placed an order with http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/dye_landscape.php to try some new colours, as VSB saidf read the tutorials and you will get the hang of dying no probs.

Welcome to the board!! :D
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Return to “Roving & Wool”