Washing Roving

Moody108

Washing Roving

Post by Moody108 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 am

I'm hoping some of you wooly ladies could help me on this, I need to wash my roving as I work in a kitchen and they're absorbed greasy kitchen smells. I'll be taking them out before I wash them so I can wash my hair too. How do I do this, washing machine, steamer...? they're hand dyed aswell so I don't want to make the colour bleed. Thanks :)
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

MrsEss

Re: Washing Roving

Post by MrsEss » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:23 am

The colours should be fixed, so shouldn't run. You could try washing 1 on it's own to check. I just put all mine in a bowl of warm soapy water & then wring them out & lightly palm roll each one & allow to dry. Some people do put them into a pillowcase & wash in the machine, but I never have.

the great thing about hand washing is you can use any soap really, i regularly do mine in something yummy from lush!

If the colour runs - you could always lightly febreeze them
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:32 am

Yeah as Sarah said - you can wash them in a washing machine but if they are lovely hand dyed ones then it is probably best not to....

A warm soapy bath - you could use your favourite body wash on them - leave them to soak for a bit, squidge them together to get all that dirt out... if you need to repeat this process thats fine - i do sometimes just to get them smelling extra fresh if i have worn them for a while, then a little ring out, quick roll just to get their shape back and then drip dry them or put them on a warm radiator...

If they are transitionals with a big colour difference (i know yours wouldbe be this colour scheme but as an idea say white to red) i would suggest dip washing half and then repeat that step with fresh water - just to ensure if there is any excess dye that it doesnt bleed!!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:24 am

Thanks ladies! Vanilla hair, here I come...
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

miasmahair

Post by miasmahair » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Oh no, greasy kitchen dreads! :i6: Because there's so much colour in your ones I would probably wash them in cool water, but any colour that does come out won't stain the others (hopefully!) :D

Return to “Roving & Wool”