Top or Bottom, where do I start first?

DangerBunnie

Top or Bottom, where do I start first?

Post by DangerBunnie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:25 pm

I will be braiding yarn into my hair for the first time. Where do I start first, top or bottom?

IKickShins

Re: Top or Bottom, where do I start first?

Post by IKickShins » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:50 pm

I like starting on the top when I do my own hair, the bottom when I do other people's hair. There are pro's and con's for each and it really comes down to personal preference.

So I'd say do whichever feels more comfortable to you :)
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:01 pm

I install top to bottom, front to back. Get some nice big jaw clips to hold sections while you work. I sit on the floor and watch TV and work by feel. I like to sit with my knees up so I can rest my elbows on my knees when I braid so my arms don't get so sore.

Yarn is so fun, soft, and light, enjoy:)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

DangerBunnie

Post by DangerBunnie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 am

Thank you so much for the replies!

It took me a few days to get it all done, but it was a lot of fun.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:51 pm

I realise I am a bit late to this one but I thought I'd add my 2p too, as you may do it again.

I always start from the bottom at the back and work forwards, whether doing my own or somebody else's. This way works best for tailoring the shape of the overall hairdo, as you can see how it's falling as you go. Also it helps loose hair becoming part of the wrong sections, it is easier to keep unbraided hair twisted up and out of the way while you braid the row below. I find that working from the front backwards means that the neatness of the sectioning and the braiding deteriorates as you tire. Finally (and most importantly for self-installs), it means that by the time your arms are painful and you are wishing you had never had the idea, you are working on the easiest bit at the front of your head where you can see it in a mirror.

Well done on managing to install your yarn, I would love to see pictures of what you did.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

DangerBunnie

Post by DangerBunnie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:45 am

Gracey, thank you so much for sharing your tips! I think there will be a next time, and when I do, starting at the back will be fun to try. I ended up taking frequent breaks to get it all done. There are pictures, but I am still trying to figure out how to get them posted.

MedusasDreads

Post by MedusasDreads » Sat May 21, 2011 3:38 am

I'm a top then bottom with everything. I start on the top because I can't wait til a project is done to see the end result. I need to see it now! lol and i can make it full in the front and if i lose out on material the further i go to the back it wont look too bad. but if i lose material while coming to the front and it thins out...not too cute.

Lady J

Post by Lady J » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:40 pm

I've always done braids top to bottom...
Fixing problems with your hair, alopecia and others.

Return to “Braids & Twists”