My blue hair adventure!

madebs666

My blue hair adventure!

Post by madebs666 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:09 pm

So about 3 months ago, I decided I wanted a dark blue under-colour.

The problem was my hair was black and I had little money.

Firstly I stripped my faded black (using re-wind hair colour remover) then slapped on some bleach. I had to leave my hair a few weeks and then re-bleach the mids to ends to get rid of the orange.

If I had bothered to follow all the information on here about getting my hair blue, I probably would have succeeded, but I was impatient and put the blue dye on when my hair was still slightly yellow :roll:

Which faded in one wash to a manky green. what a surprise! :lol:

I then tried a bleach bath, but results were still inconclusive.

Finally this week, I used tomato sauce on my hair ( :shock: ) which actually helped fade the green a little.

Then, when I couldn't find my little tub of red to add a little to my blue dye to get rid of the green, I struck upon a cheapo idea, natural red food colouring! I added a tiny bit to my dye and it seems to have helped a lot. My hair is finally blue. In places a little hint of green is still visible, but I think it looks more petrol green, which I like :-)

The pics aren't great, but you get the idea. I'm tempted to do my whole head in it!
Last edited by madebs666 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrsEss

Re: My blue hair adventure!

Post by MrsEss » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:20 pm

can you change the enormousness of your pics so we can see???
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

madebs666

Post by madebs666 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:29 pm

I pressed post instead of review to check the sizing, sorry, done now :-)

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:31 pm

That last pic looks lush! Nice shade of bleu!

I'd say do it all, but you may fry your hair & it's luffly & long.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:31 pm

When I went blue I started with semi-permanent dyed red hair. I bleached to a banana yellow then put on Manic Panic Purple Haze, horrid color. Then I used manic Panic After Midnight Blue and got a lovely very deep blue that stayed bright for a long time. It was growing out before it was fading out.
I'm usually not a fan of Manic Panic and was shocked that the blue was so nice and long lasting. I would say the color after about 3 weeks was similar to the blue dreads in your avatar.

I think the first dye with Purple Haze, which is a very blue based purple might have helped to keep the blue from fading to green even though my hair yellow after bleaching.

This was certainly not the cheapest way to go blue, 2 pots of dye. I imagine that long term members of the Blue Army will have some better advice than me but I'll throw in my two cents.:)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 am

I love brown/black mixed with blue. :D

If you use a more purple blue, you don't need white hair. I've had banana-skin yellow hair and whacked on dyes like SFX Blue Mayhem and Directions Atlantic Blue and Midnight Blue with no problems. I might've tried a few others too, it's been a while... Definitely recommend Directions over SFX though!
More human than human

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:55 am

Its come out a lovely colour, I really like the streaks, looks good in your hair :D

madebs666

Post by madebs666 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Yeah forgot to mention, first I used midnight blue (as suggested because it's a slightly more purple blue) but then bought 4 pots of Atlantic blue by mistake in a wholesale on here, and have been using this ever since.

Thanks for the nice comments :-)

Return to “Show Off - Everything Else”