First rovings that turned out

Leanna Moore

First rovings that turned out

Post by Leanna Moore » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:55 pm

All the merino dread's I've tried to make have not turned out, no matter how many times I felted it... There would be huge cracks and they just wouldnt stay solid...
So I decided to try DreadstarMonstar's Machine felted dreads tutorial, and it worked amazingly well on the first and second try! They're nice and solid, yet pliable and there arent any cracks ^__^
I made these a few days go. I still have a few questions however:
If I wanted to make them straight do I just dunk them in hot soapy water and palmroll them again?
Also
How do you make those spiderweby accents on roving dreads? I just can't figure it out.
AND
Can I use corridale the same way?

Comments, suggestions, critique MORE than welcome.

Vex88

Re: First rovings that turned out

Post by Vex88 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:22 am

They look pretty good. Havent tried that method yet as id wanted to try and get smooth roving the last time.
Might give it a go next time round.
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:41 am

Vex88 wrote:They look pretty good. Havent tried that method yet as id wanted to try and get smooth roving the last time.
Might give it a go next time round.

Thanks (: I'll post pictures when I smooth them out.

Do it! Its alot less work this way, and the result is really quite nice ^__^

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:42 am

:i2: Those are lovely. Love the texture you get with Dreadstar's method.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:24 am

Librarynerd wrote::i2: Those are lovely. Love the texture you get with Dreadstar's method.

Thanks, I'm in the process of making a bunch more with all the merino and even the corridale I have ^__^
I quite agree, I can't stop touching them.
Now I can say that I CAN make roving! What a nice feeling (:

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:04 pm

These are looking really nice... they definately felt up a lot more in the machine but they also kink a lot... stretching them after they come out of the wash should get rid of the kinks and give a bit more length... if you want the super straight i would also palm roll them back in to shape...

I would also try to get the widths of the wool more uniform when cutting, that is if you want that look!! :)
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:41 pm

Looking good :D
Leanna Moore wrote: If I wanted to make them straight do I just dunk them in hot soapy water and palmroll them again?
You can just palm roll em once they come out the machine - they'll straighten that way.

Leanna Moore wrote: How do you make those spiderweby accents on roving dreads? I just can't figure it out.

I haven't tutorialed that.....as far as I know no one else can do it the way I do. Explaining it, is impossible, trust me I've tried on more than one occasion - same goes for felted trans, they are made in a similar way. (which by the way took me a few weeks to figure out & perfect!!)
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Squidgy wrote:These are looking really nice... they definately felt up a lot more in the machine but they also kink a lot... stretching them after they come out of the wash should get rid of the kinks and give a bit more length... if you want the super straight i would also palm roll them back in to shape...

I would also try to get the widths of the wool more uniform when cutting, that is if you want that look!! :)
Thanks so much ^__^ They do, and I tried stretching them out after the third washing cycle, but they didnt have much give x: I'm thinking 3 washes is too many. I think 2 would be about right.
But after making the third set (will post pictures) I only had them in for 2 washes and stretched them out and did a little palmrolling whilst they were still wet and they had a little bit of texture, but were mostly straight. I really liked how those ones turned out (: I'm even thinking of installing them for the end of winter

Return to “Hair Critique”