My first post and my first dreads! with installed pictures!!

goodnightlauren

My first post and my first dreads! with installed pictures!!

Post by goodnightlauren » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 am

Hey everyone i'm new to posting and dread making!! these are my first ever after watching many tutorials. i think some of them needed to be back combed a bit better, some of them have raggity loops but i figured that part out, and they are not consistent in size which i kinda prefer. you can kinda see where i was getting a bit better lol.... i'm still learning and trying different things. so far i'm struggling sealing the ends. any opinions or suggestions? many thanks in advance!! :D
Last edited by goodnightlauren on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

trippytroll

Re: My first post and my first dreads!

Post by trippytroll » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:29 am

what method are you using to seal them? i use a ssteamer find it so much easier than any other method and when im making the dreads i makee the end lonegr than wanted then seal them all along the length then just cut them where i want the lenght to be or i just twist the ends with a peg or something like that and steam the ends
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

radio-trash

Post by radio-trash » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:29 am

These look fantastic in my opinion for your very first go at it!

There are a couple good ways to finish the ends. It's the very last step I do, take the tip of the dread where you want the end to be and clamp it with some needle-nose pliers (or really any kind that will hang on to the end good) and twist twist twist. I also kind of pull the dread a bit while doing this and stretch the kanekalon a bit. If you pull it too much though it will break or slip out of the pliers are and you'll have to try again.

Oh right and I guess I should mention that I am using a ghetto kettle on the stove with steam coming out. Very dangerous lol, but it's my favorite way to do it.

Also the hair straightener method works well. Use it on a lower setting so it dosen't melt the hair.

Good luck!
"When it's dark enough, you can see the stars"
http://chanceyanne.etsy.com

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Just twist and seal the ends until you cant anymore. It should give them a nice taper, but be careful not to burn your hands. And as you said, some look like they need more backcombing. Make sure that when you start of sealing and twisting, that you apply alot of steam/heat to the loop because otherwise it won't stay very neat (or hold up for that matter).

Other than those critiques, I think you're doing fantasic for your first go at it. Keep it up!

goodnightlauren

Re: My first post and my first dreads! now installed! :)

Post by goodnightlauren » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:40 am

i used the flat iron and wet cloth method to steam them. it worked pretty well as i worked on. thanks for the tip on the needle nose pliers. that really sealed the ends. my best friend is a hair dresser so she installed them for me at her shop. this was both our first install...i think she did pretty good for the first time, too. the only problem i have is the rubber bands are breaking and slipping a bit. i did some research and i am going to get the rubber bands used in horse braids. also some of the first ones i made are fraying a bit but it makes them look more...natural? i dunno but it doesn't bother me.

so here is the install pictures! i love them so far! there are about 55-65 single ended dreads in there. everyone that has seen them has loved them. they turned out a LOT better then i thought for my first time!! my next try is going to be natural ones or roving wool, i really like the look of those the best!!

any feedback? thanks for the replies already! :D (pictures aren't the best, i only had my iphone at the time.)

starlotus

Re: My first post and my first dreads! with installed pictures!!

Post by starlotus » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:14 pm

The dreads themselves do look really nice for a first try - great job! They could use some more backcombing though so keep practicing :)

Also, as far as the install, I think you need to take smaller sections and install more toward the top of your head to give you more coverage.

goodnightlauren

Post by goodnightlauren » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:10 pm

i think they need to be smaller sections at the top too. i'm going to practice make double ended dreads to give more volume. we will keep practicing to make it look good, i think my friend who installed them wants to offer the service in her salon :)

Kandiihaar

Post by Kandiihaar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:04 pm

They look amazing for a first try!

The only thing i can suggest is to back comb a little more xx

Return to “Hair Critique”