A few recent sets

radio-trash

A few recent sets

Post by radio-trash » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:21 pm

I feel like in a short time I've done a bit of improving after a long plateau of the same stuff for like a year. I think it's probably something to do with how much time I've been spending reading all these helpful posts lately. I had a bit of leftover hair so I wanted to do some practicing and I am very pleased with the results.
Anyway, on to the dreads:

The ends on the blue set aren't quite complete yet, and I think I may want to run them by some steam one more time to take care of little wispies sticking out. Blends are soo fun to do, I want to do more... must order more hair.
Thanks for looking.
Last edited by radio-trash on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When it's dark enough, you can see the stars"
http://chanceyanne.etsy.com

MrsEss

Re: A few recent sets

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Oooh, I like the blue ones, so organic & yum!!!!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:54 pm

First ones, show off section, now, plzthxbye xD

leviclementine

Post by leviclementine » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:47 am

Those are looking gorgeous
Excellent colours :)

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:54 pm

O_O love the colors

Shedandy

Post by Shedandy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:02 am

I love both sets and I agree with rivett licker put them in the showoff section!
The colors and blends on that first set are sooo delish! N I love the organic-ness of that second set! Did you use a felting needle at all? Or are they just backcombed heaps after twisting?
This be my Facebook dreads page ^_^ Feel free to add me
http://www.facebook.com/shedandys

*,meme,*

Post by *,meme,* » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:13 am

oooh, surprisingly i like that first set, not a combination i thought i would like. Good job.

And the blus look great.

Jennilox

Post by Jennilox » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:17 am

i like how natural the blues look

radio-trash

Post by radio-trash » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:45 am

Thanks guys! I'm happy people like the organic look as much as I do, I wanted to get that but still keep them somewhat uniform.
Shedandy wrote:I love both sets and I agree with rivett licker put them in the showoff section!
The colors and blends on that first set are sooo delish! N I love the organic-ness of that second set! Did you use a felting needle at all? Or are they just backcombed heaps after twisting?
Felting needles were my best friends for these after I was through backcombing! Twist and stab. :) I did get a sweet blister on my finger from so much felting.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:25 am

Shedandy wrote:I love both sets and I agree with rivett licker put them in the showoff section!
O/T You're confusing my name with the Canberra Suburb haha :P

Shedandy

Post by Shedandy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:27 pm

radio-trash wrote:Thanks guys! I'm happy people like the organic look as much as I do, I wanted to get that but still keep them somewhat uniform.
Felting needles were my best friends for these after I was through backcombing! Twist and stab. :) I did get a sweet blister on my finger from so much felting.
I can imagine it would have been ouchy using felting needles for so long, I have a few taped together I need to get one of the felting mat thingies and Ive stabbed myself a fair few times >_<

rivetlicker_ wrote:
YOU ARE A CANBERRA SUBURB! (ohhhhw burn) nahhh
-facepalm- sorry Lara lol I don't pay much attention to spelling and grammar when I'm on the net I misspell just about everything.

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Oh these are really good! i would definatly say show off section, espcially is you compare these to some of the dreads people show off and sell sometimes!! much better these are.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:23 pm

Shedandy wrote:
radio-trash wrote:Thanks guys! I'm happy people like the organic look as much as I do, I wanted to get that but still keep them somewhat uniform.
I can imagine it would have been ouchy using felting needles for so long, I have a few taped together I need to get one of the felting mat thingies and Ive stabbed myself a fair few times >_<
rivetlicker_ wrote:
YOU ARE A CANBERRA SUBURB! (ohhhhw burn) nahhh
-facepalm- sorry Lara lol I don't pay much attention to spelling and grammar when I'm on the net I misspell just about everything.
Rivet with one T :P There's also Rivett St in Hackett. Pretty interesting! I'm coming down for a drive to Canberra today too LOL. It's only for my friend to go register his car, but it's out of the house.

On topic?
Felting needles are great for sticking fibres together, but if you use them too much in one spot, you get a nasty lump that you won't be able to get rid of :( I sometimes use it at the top of the loop to bind the fibres together if the hair is stubborn and won't let me backcomb properly.

radio-trash

Post by radio-trash » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Monique_marion_may wrote:Oh these are really good! i would definatly say show off section, espcially is you compare these to some of the dreads people show off and sell sometimes!! much better these are.
Thank you so much for the kind words! I appreciate :)

I've tried duct taping only 2 felting needles together at a time so far. How many should I try taping together? I'm always snapping them. I guess after a while they're going to get weak? Or I'm just brutal and snap like at least one every couple days aha.

Shedandy

Post by Shedandy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:41 am

radio-trash wrote:
Monique_marion_may wrote:
I've tried duct taping only 2 felting needles together at a time so far. How many should I try taping together? I'm always snapping them. I guess after a while they're going to get weak? Or I'm just brutal and snap like at least one every couple days aha.
Honestly I probably cant give you advice on this as Ive never felted a whole set before, I have five taped together that I occasionally use when I'm being anal about the longevity of a dread but they have snapped a dread in half from to much felting before so just try how many you want out and see what works for you I guess.

@Rivet (no extra T) Licker
Heh yeah my mate used to live in Rivett street and she was a Rivet head to!

radio-trash

Post by radio-trash » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:09 am

I've finished sealing the blue/purple/red blends set, they look so nummy. I wish my hair was more blue and less green I would totally wear these. I'm actually trying to get rid of a bunch of stuff right now.

Here's a new picture of the blue ones. I like them better than the pink set personally.

Since I got such a positive response from these I've added them to my Etsy! http://www.etsy.com/shop/chanceyanne

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:23 am

http://www.clover-usa.com/product/26806 ... eedle_Tool

Best. Tool. Ever.

You are seriously fantastic. A lot of times that look can go very wrong and look unfinished, but yours are absolutely beautiful and you should be very pleased with yourself. I am DYING over that blue set. I'd bleach out my beloved black and purple to match up with that.

That's a serious compliment.
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

radio-trash

Post by radio-trash » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Oh my goodness! I must get myself one of those. That would be soo much better, and I bet it would save my finger from getting the blister that it usually gets after hours of felting ahah.

Thanks for the kind words too!

darcitananda

Post by darcitananda » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:43 am

I love the first set colors. I'm a huge fan of pink and orange and purples. Yum. I like the idea of all of them having pink as the base color and then the other mixed colors on the bottom. It really unifies what could have looked too busy, but instead it's just awesome. I would have expected to see this in show-off too. :)

jizzabell

Post by jizzabell » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:16 pm

I love the pink set! Amazing colours!
<3
Of sugar and ice, I am made

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:30 pm

ooh, nice blends. good work.
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

xxkinzixx

Post by xxkinzixx » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:17 am

what are these doing in the critique section? they are amazing! :D
i love the texture of the blue set... like atomiclox said, i would totally dye my hair blue for those! lol
i want to try this method now, these are really great!
SYNTHETIKZERO - Custom Jewelry, Synth & Wool Dreads, Hair Accessories
Etsy
Facebook

Return to “Hair Critique”