Crochet dreads. Your doing it wrong!

M1ssBehaved

Crochet dreads. Your doing it wrong!

Post by M1ssBehaved » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:42 am

Ive had a go at doing a crochet dread using techniques for crocheting real dreads. I used tuts from Knottyboy and one that Nawtali posted on Youtube. These tuts are for real dreads and there doesn't seem to be any tuts in existence for synthetic dreads...

Here is what I got after 1 hour of crocheting. My process was - backcomb, seal with hot water, crochet. Is that the order your supposed to do it in? (please note: I'm not going for the perfectly straight, even look. I want these to look more caveman like :lol: )

It looks really small in the photo, but its really is huge and long IRL.

Up close

I had to muck with the lighting because I was finding it hard to get any detail to show up because the dread is so dark brown.

Please share some advice with me! :i10:

marshy

Re: Crochet dreads. Your doing it wrong!

Post by marshy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:24 pm

i think you should crochet without sealing it first

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:08 am

I believe you backcomb, palm roll, crotchet and then seal. My internet is being evil and won't let me search for tuts :(

By the way, if you're trying to say "you are", the word is "you're". Otherwise it's "your". :P
More human than human

misstoxin

Post by misstoxin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:38 pm

Hmmm well the way I make my naturals is by crocheting them. The way I do it is by backcombing, then crocheting. After that I apply steam then palm role them. If you guys like i can make a tutorial for it?

Glamour Trash

Post by Glamour Trash » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:12 pm

I also make my natural crochet dreads in the same order as misstoxin. They are very time consuming so i dont make them often but they always turn out great using this method. :D

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:20 pm

If you're having trouble getting an even shape with a crochet hook, try a multi-needle felting tool. synthetic hair actually reacts quite favorably to felting needles and you don't have to be as concerned with breakage as you do with real human dreads.
When I make naturals, I backcomb, palm roll, go through it with a felting needle, seal, and then lightly palm roll again. It sounds time consuming but actually takes far less time that a crochet hook!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Nawtali

Post by Nawtali » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:43 pm

I always backcomb, crochet and then seal with some hotwater. I usually dont have to palmroll them, but I guess that depends on how much fly-aways they have. :)

And the technique I use in the youtube video is actually more what I use for synthetic dreads than real HH dreads nowadays. I've learned to crochet humanhair dreads in a more effective way than that one. But I cant use that on synthetic hair because synth. is so much tougher than real hair. :)

I'd say you might need some more crochet training. Just keep crocheting more dreads and you will get the hang of it. :)
Huvudkorv on Facebook!
For international likes, updates & pictures! <3

CandySecretion

Post by CandySecretion » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:01 am

I recently started experimenting with a crochet needle and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Personally I find it isn't as time consuming as the standard twist&seal dreads, probably because I am still learning. I backcomb until the hair is decently ratted up, feel down the dread to find and fix any lumps, and then crochet the whole dread. I have made about 20 of them this way, they are very sturdy, with very little fly aways. I haven't boiled them or anything, I will say a few of them are rather stiff though, would boiling them kind of soften them up a bit? Or maybe a little steaming? Or just throw them in the laundry or something lol.

Anywayyy, I would definantly backcomb, crochet and then boil, but if you want 'messy' or caveman looking dreads I personally would'nt even bother with boiling them.

Good work so far though! :D
Electronic Stimulation

Return to “Hair Critique”